Benefit Advice

According to the link below, If you have have over £16000 in savings you'll get nothing. Between £6000 and £16000 you'll get less, but but I don't know how much. Could be based on the interest he get's rather than the capital amount. I'd advise your friend to get in touch with Citizens Advice or similar before saying a word to the DWP. There might be a legal way of stashing it away.

Your income and savings

Your income may affect your income-related or contribution-based ESA. Income can include:
you and your partner’s income
savings over £6,000
pension income
You won’t qualify for income-related ESA if you have savings over £16,000.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

Also, advise your mate not to blow the money on a car/boat/hookers expecting to be put back on ESA. The DWP will expect him to spend the money responsibly and be able to justify any large purchases/expenses that he may have. Tell him to keep all his receipts as well, even for weekly shopping, as they will ask for them when he comes to reapply for benefits

According to the link below, If you have have over £16000 in savings you'll get nothing. Between £6000 and £16000 you'll get less, but but I don't know how much. Could be based on the interest he get's rather than the capital amount. I'd advise your friend to get in touch with Citizens Advice or similar before saying a word to the DWP. There might be a legal way of stashing it away.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

As far as I can see this rule is for income based ESA. As far as I can remember contribution based ESA is not means tested so savings should not matter. So really depends on what component of ESA he is getting.

Archived