That's not a Chopper!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mate had a Grifter- he called it a "rifter". Another mate had a Chopper, I think the new one doesn't have the gear lever in the middle because that's regarded as dangerous these days. How did we ever survive the 1970s/80s with the threat of nuclear war, celebrity paedophiles and dodgy bikes?

I had a Raleigh Phaser which was bought from a jumble sale for a tenner or something. I suppose it was a boring "proper" bike. Still the best bike I ever had though.

attachicon.gifphaser.jpg

My sister had one of them which one night I was out playing on when the local alcy "borrowed" and proceded to right off!

Some hidin' I got from my old man for that!

Yip, you could twist the handgrip to change the gears on a Grifter.

I started with a Raleigh Boxer...

boxer_1_blowup.jpg

then progressed onto a Raleigh Burner, with mag wheels...

0.jpg

I always wanted a Raleigh Bomber but never got one...

raleigh-bomber-coastal-cycles.jpg

A kid in my street had family connection the the US NATO base at Edzell and had a Schwinn Stingray. Far cooler and more exotic than anything Raleigh were making at the time. It seemed to go much faster as well.

1218719701_ddf37f16e6_b.jpg

My mate had a Grifter- he called it a "rifter". Another mate had a Chopper, I think the new one doesn't have the gear lever in the middle because that's regarded as dangerous these days. How did we ever survive the 1970s/80s with the threat of nuclear war, celebrity paedophiles and dodgy bikes?

I had a Raleigh Phaser which was bought from a jumble sale for a tenner or something. I suppose it was a boring "proper" bike. Still the best bike I ever had though.

attachicon.gifphaser.jpg

G...G...G....Granville!

Yip, you could twist the handgrip to change the gears on a Grifter.

I started with a Raleigh Boxer...

boxer_1_blowup.jpg

then progressed onto a Raleigh Burner, with mag wheels...

0.jpg

I always wanted a Raleigh Bomber but never got one...

raleigh-bomber-coastal-cycles.jpg

A kid in my street had family connection the the US NATO base at Edzell and had a Schwinn Stingray. Far cooler and more exotic than anything Raleigh were making at the time. It seemed to go much faster as well.

1218719701_ddf37f16e6_b.jpg

A guy I know had one as well. He was cast out and still no-one speaks to him.

My first bike was a Raleigh Budgie -

0.jpg

I think it was handed down to my 2 younger brothers and was on the go for about 10 years, before being committed to its watery grave at the bottom of the Tay, as was apparently the custom with kids' old bikes back then.

I had a Grifter and if I remember correctly it had some kind of basic 'hub gearing' controlled from the right hand grip (twister)

Anyone confirm?

img_6591_800x800_103.jpg

It was coloured coded, from what I remember. Green, yellow, red? What I do remember is silver was neutral, and to shift into silver, whilst standing on the pedals would result in an instant sex change.

I had a boxer, mentioned earlier, prior to my grifter. Does anyone remember the Raleigh Stryker? Again from what I can remember, it was an inbetweeny the boxer and grifter. It also had the brilliant pedal back breaks.

I had a Tomahawk when I was about 10.

20sgaj7.jpg

Thing is, those handlebars were unstable. Thundering down the Swan Brae in Methil, the handlebars started wobbling until they whipped around completely and threw me off the bike. I skidded for ages, ripping open my left leg and taking skin and flesh off my hand. Great times.

Archived