Living on your own

The big thing is the cost, mainly of bills and council tax which adds a hefy amount to your outgoings. 25% discount does help but its still around £90 extra a month. In terms of freedom it's amazing. It's certianly one of those things I think everyone should experience at least for a little while.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People like Jimmy Savile and Cliff Richard live(d) on their own.

Just saying.

Aye, but Jimmy got his hole all the time. One of the benefits of being single, having your own place and being sexually active.

...I'll say it first...BEAST!!!

I had my own place when I was around 23.

Had just finished with my girlfriend of 7 years and took the place on on my own.

It was 5 minutes from the high street, 5 minutes from Stark's Park and it was fucking glorious!

My weekend would consist of finishing work at 2pm on Friday, head down the high street to buy some clothes for the weekend, home for a shower and then out for a bar lunch before meeting my pals and hitting clubs later on.

On Saturday I'd nick around the wee shop for a paper to read while having my breakfast and head to the pub to meet my pals before the football. Home from the football, shower, then out again.

Sunday would usually be spent sober with PES or Medal of Honour on the PS2.

Go for it. Guaranteed that you'll look back at this time as some of the best of your life.

I moved into a bedsit in the middle of Perth when I was 17yo........4hours later I was that bored I got my best mate to move in!

What a fcuking laugh that was!

ETA: I live on my own these days but am far more content in my own company than I was at 17.

I've not long split with my girlfriend who I lived with for five years so I'm currently looking for a flat by myslef. It'll be the first time I've lived alone so it's a bit daunting but I'm looking forward to it. I spent years doing the couples thing and spending most weekends in watching films so the last month or so of single life has been fantastic, football every weekend, days away getting steaming and women of varying quality. When I've sorted my own place I'll be down The Palace every weekend going home with a solid 5. Good times.

I've not long split with my girlfriend who I lived with for five years so I'm currently looking for a flat by myslef. It'll be the first time I've lived alone so it's a bit daunting but I'm looking forward to it. I spent years doing the couples thing and spending most weekends in watching films so the last month or so of single life has been fantastic, football every weekend, days away getting steaming and women of varying quality. When I've sorted my own place I'll be down The Palace every weekend going home with a solid 5. Good times.

A solid 5 in the Palace? You haven't been there in a while have you? ;)

I live myself and have done for 4 years. Been excellent mainly but eventually it gets old. Moving in with someone next month which will be quite strange for me at first. Barring 6 months ive lived myself since i left home

That's pretty much how I did it although sometimes I didn't bother with the pants.

Be prepared to have the masturbation habits of a zoo monkey for the first couple of months - the novelty wears off eventually however.

The novelty never wears off :angel even when I was married.

... Wanking into socks.

Well i would do that anyway.

I just quite enjoy being on my own as i chose and then if i feel lonely i can go out and see mates or what ever. Would probably end up turning into a recluse eventually tho

I live myself and have done for 4 years. Been excellent mainly but eventually it gets old.

Agree with that. I spent 8 years flatsharing and all that time I just wanted somewhere of my own. Lived on my own for nearly 2 years now and it's starting to get tedious. I'm in my thirties rather than twenties so I'm painting the town beige rather than red. If I was 10 years younger it would still be great.

Let's just get straight to the core of this argument: what the f*** is "dee do de de?" all about???

Eta: A mate of mine has a flat of his own and says it's ace. Can do what he wants when he wants and says far too many jump to the untrue conclusion that alone = lonely.

Most folk will know the 1993 version of the song (The No More Brothers Mix) which got to no. 1 here and in 4 other countries.

The song was actually recorded in 1984 and released in 1985 when it only got to no. 50.

Original version:

If you can afford it, then definitely go for it. Living on your own is great however have you ever lived with other people (other than your family)?

I've lived with others for the last five years, since I moved left for uni at 19. Student halls, flatshares with uni friends, hostels in New Zealand and a flat there, all good but I wouldn't mind something different.

I suspect money will be the main hindrance, especially in Edinburgh. I'm doing a festival job to ease me in after nearly a year away, but once that's done I'll need a grown up job and I'm not anticipating anything mind-blowingly well paid (especially with a Desmond 2:2 from Caley).

I think the loneliness aspect wouldn't be a problem. I'm single but between school friends, uni friends and the inevitable social side of any future workplace, plus people nearby who I've met on my travels, there's usually people around. I think if I moved abroad again and this time settled straight into my own place I'd feel isolated as f**k.

I loved living on my own, I think when you're still quite young (probs up to about 23ish) you enjoy living in flats with mates but after that you get sick of going to the fridge for YOUR milk or whatever and some fecker having it. I had the ideal situation for a while where I had my own gaff and my missus had her's about 10 mins walk away and our local boozer was right in the middle. We more or less lived together but if we fell our or if I was having mates over I could do my own thing which was good because I didn't have to tidy up if I had mates over (for some reasons burds feel the need to). No doubt it is more expensive but I found I didn't want to go out as much when I had my own place. Your own gaff does help with pulling as well, its way cooler than taking some wee tidy back to your M & D's or taking some monster back to a shared gaff so your mates can rip the piss for it.

I ruined that perfect arrangement by getting married though and strangely she wanted to move to a bigger house rather than stay in the two flats. Don't fall for the marriage trap !

From memory, I liked having flatmates to talk to, but if they went away for a few days and I had the flat to myself, then I resented them when they came back. That's when you start thinking that having your own space would maybe be a better fit.

I live myself and have done for 4 years. Been excellent mainly but eventually it gets old. Moving in with someone next month which will be quite strange for me at first. Barring 6 months ive lived myself since i left home

I live myself, too, and have done for 61 years. So there.

Archived