Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth noting that Sky are running with the Plan B thing being avoided as well. Their reporting on the radio stuff they do is horribly skewed. I hadn't noticed how biased they were on it before.

There's been two reports tonight from them.

1) One in which they bring up the Plan B being sidestepped and then a wee clip of Darling saying Salmond is misleading Scottish people.

2) A report which says Salmond won the debate but people aren't convinced, and then interviews which a bunch of folk saying they're voting "no".

Jeezo.

Worth noting that Sky are running with the Plan B thing being avoided as well. Their reporting on the radio stuff they do is horribly skewed. I hadn't noticed how biased they were on it before.

There's been two reports tonight from them.

1) One in which they bring up the Plan B being sidestepped and then a wee clip of Darling saying Salmond is misleading Scottish people.

2) A report which says Salmond won the debate but people aren't convinced, and then interviews which a bunch of folk saying they're voting "no".

Jeezo.

My favourite was "Darling won the first Debate, Salmond gave a better account if himself at this one"

Up against the establishment here boys. Media are a fucking joke.

All the better, anyone watching that will just do a wtf when they read the shite in the papers.

Apart from the intended points, does anyone else feel a bit uneasy and highly put off by the way senior figures in British politics talk down countries and places constantly to make a point?

"I wouldn't want to be Panama for five minutes", "Ireland and Iceland are both bust" etc etc.

Despite attempts to portray otherwise, most of what I've seen of Scottish "nationalism" is rooted in the idea of being a cooperative and friendly neighbour with its own small voice in the world. Unionism seems to be all about being better than everyone else.

There's a really sneering type of arrogance about small countries that's quite embedded in Britishness, imo. I think it's a big reason why I've never connected with it.

Apart from the intended points, does anyone else feel a bit uneasy and highly put off by the way senior figures in British politics talk down countries and places constantly to make a point?

"I wouldn't want to be Panama for five minutes", "Ireland and Iceland are both bust" etc etc.

Despite attempts to portray otherwise, most of what I've seen of Scottish "nationalism" is rooted in the idea of being a cooperative and friendly neighbour with its own small voice in the world. Unionism seems to be all about being better than everyone else.

There's a really sneering type of arrogance about small countries that's quite embedded in Britishness, imo. I think it's a big reason why I've never connected with it.

Completely agree.

I do agree that that's been a feature of debates, but to be fair I've seen it cut both ways. I've seen pro-indy people get properly outraged when Scotland is compared to countries like Panama, and take it as insult. It's all a bit unedifying.

The "Ireland and Iceland are bust" comments were pretty crass from Darling last time out. The thing is, with Ireland at least BT could make some legitimate points about the troubles Ireland have experienced as small nation within the EU, but to reduce it to what he said was oversimplistic bullsh*t.

Worst case of this I ever saw was after the Libya campaign. Some Westminster pol was asked about Britain's gargantuan military spending and world-policeman aspirations in comparison to Denmark's international role as an arbiter of peace, etc.

He said: "We're not Denmark" - in the most c*nty, sneering, condescending way possible, as if the very idea of comparing Britain to Denmark was the most preposterous thing he'd ever heard of.

Then it turned out that the Danish airforce flew more sorties over Libya, with a higher strike rate on their targets, than the RAF managed.

I don't want people like that representing me on the international stage.

Iain Gray even managed to pointlessly offend Montenegro, ffs. They must work at it.

More slanted press reports, this time the Torygraph which managed to turn the cuts which would put hundreds of thousands of children and the disabled into poverty into the following headline...

Bv6hZ31IMAAmQE9.jpg

Edit: Spot they are also claiming the audience was pro-indy. :rolleyes:

Who reads The Telegraph in Scotland apart from already No voters?

They have a lower circulation that probably National Collective's Tweets.

I would be surprised if that changed the opinion of anyone to be honest. Which is a shame, but then I suppose if a TV debate for an hour or two swings your opinion rather than doing some research and reading what both camps have promised then maybe that's a good thing.

The debate won't have changed much. A lot of damage was done in the first debate - voters switched off by how crap it was and drip-drip on CU - Salmond took over 2 weeks to come up with a response. Many voters who would research about sterlingisation and come to the conclusion that it's not the route to go down. Those who have not will have gone with the initial - there's no plan B and that Salmond has had to make up a plan B in haste.

Salmond won this fight - no doubt - but he lost the battle weeks ago. This may narrow the margin but I think it's too little too late.

I think its been fairly clear from what Salmond has said that it will be a Panama-style use of the pound outwith a currency union if Westminster don't let us enter into a union. Which doesn't sound like a very good option, especially if Salmond is saying we won't pay our share of the debt.

So Salmond wants complete deregulation of the banking system then?

Chief that was absolutely clarified tonight.

When Darling mentioned the currency nonsense in his closing speech the audience laughed.

One by one the reasons for not voting Yes have been defeated. What will No Thanks come up with tomorrow?

Darling was clueless though - sterlingisation , especially on a Panama-style sense, is an open goal to attack. Somehow he managed to blooter the ball and hit the corner flag.

Archived