Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

I'm loving the "it was a biased audience" malarkey. The BBC has been consistent in it's leaning, at best and blatant, support for the union and to suggest that it somehow flipped that around now is laughable.

btw: 5live is rerunning the debate in snippets with comments from those phoning in and experts in the studio, if people are looking for some sort of rUK feedback.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it? I'm guessing that you flittered in and out of conciousness and missed the point where he outlined other possibilities. Were you expecting him to say, "here is 3 different options #1, #2 and #3, and out of them we'd go with #2"? If so I think you are being unrealistic. The Westminster government has point blankly refused to discuss this matter in the slightest. No Plan B, but Plan A or any plan, they specifically won't enter into debate.

Exactly my point. I think it is incumbent upon him to tell us which of the alternatives he would choose cause of he does not get a currency union which ever of those three is his next choice is precisely what we would get. How on earth is it unrealistic to ask what that is. As far as I can see westminster's only place would be to discuss a currency union and they seem to have been crystal clear in saying there won't be one. What else do they have to discuss on this matter ?

Another opportunity missed for Salmond. He let it slip away in the last half an hour or so of the debate. He still won, but that type of debating style just angers people.

1va6IGp.png

Exactly my point. I think it is incumbent upon him to tell us which of the alternatives he would choose cause of he does not get a currency union which ever of those three is his next choice is precisely what we would get. How on earth is it unrealistic to ask what that is. As far as I can see westminster's only place would be to discuss a currency union and they seem to have been crystal clear in saying there won't be one. What else do they have to discuss on this matter ?

post-14721-14090068257166_thumb.jpg

Agreed.

Another opportunity missed for Salmond. He let it slip away in the last half an hour or so of the debate. He still won, but that type of debating style just angers people. Yes supporters will be happy with that style but these debates are not for the benefit of Yes (or No) supporters.

I disagree. I think the longer it went on the more ridiculous Daring came across. When Salmnd turned the currency question round to ask him what rUK would support in event of independence his whole evening just completely disintegrated. He was by far the worst man for the job and as far as presentation goes he was found severely wanting. A flapping, floundering, second rate orator.

Can't believe Darling was trying to tell us the MOD don't have a "Plan B" for trident, in the event of the yes vote.

MOD ain't that daft of course they do, and to be honest, I highly doubt they'll tell a opposition Labour backbencher the plans

Salmond explained pretty clearly what his position was. If he nominated a Plan B then Plan A would be vetoed, simple as that. Then he turned the question on Darling and he fucked it royally.

Exactly my point. I think it is incumbent upon him to tell us which of the alternatives he would choose cause of he does not get a currency union which ever of those three is his next choice is precisely what we would get.

He has, he's said the pound, it's either pegged to the pound sterling or it's part of the currency union.

How on earth is it unrealistic to ask what that is. As far as I can see westminster's only place would be to discuss a currency union and they seem to have been crystal clear in saying there won't be one. What else do they have to discuss on this matter ?

That is a contradiction. You expect implicitness from one side yet accept absolute refusal to discuss the matter on the other. That is unrealistic.

I disagree. I think the longer it went on the more ridiculous Daring came across. When Salmond turned the currency question round to ask him what rUK would support in event of independence his whole evening just completely disintegrated. He was by far the worst man for the job and as far as presentation goes he was found severely wanting. A flapping, floundering, second rate orator.

The longer it went the more those who have yet to make a decision will have been confused. (hence no gain for Yes in the post debate poll)

Had the debate ended after an hour, I believe, Yes would have gained on No.

Just my opinion at the time. But the poll seems to validate what I predicted.

Salmond explained pretty clearly what his position was. If he nominated a Plan B then Plan A would be vetoed, simple as that. Then he turned the question on Darling and he fucked it royally.

No argument in the second part. Really surprised Darling wasn't prepared to be asked the question in reverse.

Re the first point his plan A already has been vetoed so all folks like me are asking is to be clear what the currency will be and having watched it I really didn't see where he was clear.

Archived