Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to the Call Kaye thing on my way home, you'd have though Salmond just nudged it by their experts analysis etc. Judging by a skim read of here it was a landslide, or close to. I wasn't going to bother with it but I've just flicked onto the repeat on STV.

Kaye Addams is an undoubted unionist. She steers all her phone ins in a pro union direction.

Its looking like a Panama-style use of the pound unfortunately. Plan A still to cross our fingers and hope Westminster are bluffing about a currency union. Plan B to just go ahead and use pound with no central bank etc

I would say it's looking like a Scottish style use of the pound.

Oh, and murdo Fraser just on the wireless claiming the audience was "partizan".

If the audience was picked by com-res and going by the latest polls, then yes were in a heavy minority and Darling's support bombed at the end.

They're shitting bricks folks.

Bloody biased BBC setting up a pro independence audience.

We will be using the pound. It's our pound just as much as it's the rUK.

What part of that did you miss?

I missed all of that. I heard AS saying that he would be arguing for what he thinks is best for Scotland ie the pound in a currency union. I didn't hear him say what his choice would be if that couldn't happen. The reason that is relevant is because the others involved in a currency union have ruled it out.

If he categorically said that if he can't have a currency union we would use the pound unilaterally then yes, I completely missed him saying that.

That still seems to be the case

Does it? I'm guessing that you flittered in and out of conciousness and missed the point where he outlined other possibilities. Were you expecting him to say, "here is 3 different options #1, #2 and #3, and out of them we'd go with #2"? If so I think you are being unrealistic. The Westminster government has point blankly refused to discuss this matter in the slightest. No Plan B, but Plan A or any plan, they specifically won't enter into debate.

Exactly. If orlandoblue wants definitive answers on the currency, he might as well be directing questions towards Better Together and their utter inability to explain their position, as representatives of Westminster, towards currency negotiation in the event of a Yes vote. It's not the Scottish government who are skipping round the issue any more, it's BT. And as well they might, because they got utterly humiliated tonight and that nasty little "mah baw and your no playin'" line of defence collapsed further than Darling's arse did.

No, all I want him to do is tell me what his plans for the currency would be. I'll provide an example of what he 'might' say that would provide me all the answers I need.

"I want us to use the pound in a currency union with the rest of the UK. The better together parties have rules this out which I think is ludicrous as they would burden their citizens with all the UK debt. If however they are so stupid as to do this then I will not be able to force a currency union and I would favour using the pound unilaterally or using the euro or a new Scottish currency" To me it is important that he is clear which one of these alternatives would be his choice as that would have the most chance of being our currency. As yet I haven't ever heard him prioritise any of these options.

There will be a small bounce in the coming days but I fear you might be right - he won the debate hands down but many undecided won't have been persuaded. The shite-flinging near the end will turn many off. That suited Darling.

Agreed.

Another opportunity missed for Salmond. He let it slip away in the last half an hour or so of the debate. He still won, but that type of debating style just angers people. Yes supporters will be happy with that style but these debates are not for the benefit of Yes (or No) supporters.

Archived