Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it would involve being less bogged down in the details of independence, and play more on the less tangible elements of it. The whole question of nationhood you see the thicker members of this board espouse that not being a sovereign state in some ways diminishes being Scottish.

Appeal to people on an emotional level, rather than a rational one.

Funnily enough, it was Darling who kept going on about "scottish identity" and having a "strong Scottish identity" - whether it was relevant to the question or not - while Salmond was the one who very carefully stated that we don't need to "rise and be a nation again" since we will obviously be a nation regardless of the referendum result.

Was it a phone-in on the radio that you were listening to earlier?

Ned Nederlander, on 25 Aug 2014 - 22:13, said:

Thought both closing statements were very good - bit clearer about how I'll vote now - will stay clear of this thread for a few days in case you fandans make me change my mind.

So what you voting for?

Even the No supporter on the aftershow saying Salmond done well tonight.

I would be surprised if that changed the opinion of anyone to be honest. Which is a shame, but then I suppose if a TV debate for an hour or two swings your opinion rather than doing some research and reading what both camps have promised then maybe that's a good thing.

It changed the mind of an old wifie in Aberdeen

I'm also disappointed that Salmond didn't point out that Eyebrows McGee was at the helm when the financial crisis hit and it was his government that relaxed the regulations that allowed us to get into that position. Eyebrows twice mentioned he was the Chancellor and twice Salmond avoided the killer punch.

Carmichael on BBC2 now claiming the Yes campaign is fear and scaremongering because they lost the debate. The irony is surely not lost on the viewers. He is now proceeding to talk over Sturgeon just like Eyebrows did. It's clear the fear has failed and the new tactic is to try and drag the debate into the gutter.

Christ. Had to turn off after listening to 30 seconds of "highlights". People whooping and cheering over a political debate does not advance either side. Embarrassing.

Cardy, this may have been the highlights. It wasn't what came across in the debate. I'd have said it was all pretty civilised.

Archived