Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must just be a coincidence that there is a higher proportion of no voters amongst the rangers fans than any others

Likewise I said on here a long time ago if you polled members of the tartan army I think you'd see a much bigger % towards yes than the national picture.

More than a quarter of the population live in poverty. Still silver linings and all that.

Despite the country’s strong economic growth, poverty levels remain high in Panama. Nationwide, according to 2008 data from the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), 28.6 per cent of the population is poor and 11.7 per cent is extremely poor.

This is of course real poverty, not "I can't afford the next version of the XBox" poverty

Panama is only 24 years into democracy after Noriega was deposed. Virtually every statistic is moving in the right direction including life expectancy - up from 64 to 77, infant mortality down from 32 per 1000 to 19, the percentage in poverty, etc.

Compare and contrast falling poverty levels with Scotland's where almost 20% of our kids live in poverty and rising. 20% is 5% higher than last year. It has almost doubled in the last 30 years which include the best years of the oil boom.

I am not saying Panama is a Latin American Utopia but at least its social problems are being tackled. My main point was that it uses the dollar with not formal currency union and its economy is thriving - the best performing in Latin America. Using the pound unilaterally is not the disaster darling and others hold it out to be.

Complete deregulation of the banking system.

We saw how that worked with RBS, Barclays and Halifax Lloydd TSB . . .

It also doesn't have a lender of last resort. Rather like the Adam Smith Institute report stating how Scotland could be better off without the CU. I would recommend that you read it. Link

Likewise I said on here a long time ago if you polled members of the tartan army I think you'd see a much bigger % towards yes than the national picture.

I doubt that it would be much greater than the polls we've had on here

The Yankee Way has about as much humour towards "secession" as it does towards black, Muslim communists launching bombs the shape of Babe Ruth into Mount Rushmore.

I've had the independence for select US states ("You mean secession?" :o) conversation ("You mean secession?" :o) with various ("You mean secession?" :o) Americans of varied political leanings ("You mean secession?" :o) and world views ("You mean secession?" :o) over the years and ("You mean secession?" :o) the response has always been the same. Need to find me some Texan friends, I suppose.

That actually brings a plan to mind. Think any Ukippers could be persuaded to vote the right way if we declare that the country will be named the Confederate State of Scotland?

I respect that view but it's probably where we differ. I think we can progress just as well as part of the UK.

Which Westminster party do you see progressing us in this fashion? Genuine question.

Confi said it was.

Sigh. As many of my fellow intelligent Yes voters have alluded to, as leader of the SNP and therefore leader of the SG, Alex Salmond will lead a cross-party negotiation team.

Biggest mistake from AD last night in my view was allowing the first

Minister to promulgate the story about No eventually conceding that they can't stop yes using the pound. This has never been in doubt but it is being spun today as if it is a new revalation and don't worry about the currency cause even the no camp are now telling us it's fine.

Which Westminster party do you see progressing us in this fashion? Genuine question.

Sigh. As many of my fellow intelligent Yes voters have alluded to, as leader of the SNP and therefore leader of the SG, Alex Salmond will lead a cross-party negotiation team.

Well they would all lay claim to be doing their bit for social justice and each government will have stats to back that up. The current coalition will tell you all the good they have done for the country (cutting income tax for 25 million as an example). Problem is these things are always lost when compared with the negatives such as the ill thought out bedroom tax. This is only the current government though and as you are aware there is a general election just round the corner. Remember a yes is for independence but that doesn't mean you won't have a labour government or coalition in Scotland who may adopt similar policies to rUk

A better analogy is that a kid runs up part of a electric bill in their parents house and then decides to move out.

But will only pay their share if they can keep coming round to use the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Except in this case the kid has been supplying the electricity that keeps several rooms in his parents' house running for several decades, and has also been getting charged a lot of money for the privillege of supplying free electricity to his parents' house.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7621583.stm

After the kid moves out, his parents refuse to let him use the washing machine and tumble drier (currency union), but want him to continue supplying the electricity like he always has (energy union).

Shite analogies breed more shite analogies.

As for the UK economy being very big, and this being good for the people who live here... in 2011 the Brazillian economy overtook the UK's in size, they were ranked 6th in the world while the UK was 7th, but that doesn't help you any if you happen to live in a Rio favela (or a Glaswegian favela either).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17272716

What matters is GDP per capita adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity. That's what translates directly to wealth in the pockets of the citizens - and by that measure Scotland (and it's people) would be better off independent.

Well they would all lay claim to be doing their bit for social justice and each government will have stats to back that up. The current coalition will tell you all the good they have done for the country (cutting income tax for 25 million as an example). Problem is these things are always lost when compared with the negatives such as the ill thought out bedroom tax. This is only the current government though and as you are aware there is a general election just round the corner. Remember a yes is for independence but that doesn't mean you won't have a labour government or coalition in Scotland who may adopt similar policies to rUk

Ok let's run through the options then shall we.

Conservatives - Have laid out their stall for continued austerity and have no specific policies to address the points I raised.

Labour - They plan to continue Tory austerity and similarly, have no desire to address foodbanks or poverty.

Er, that's it...

Absolutely. But the people of Scotland would at least be in a position to vote them out.

Biggest mistake from AD last night in my view was allowing the first

Minister to promulgate the story about No eventually conceding that they can't stop yes using the pound. This has never been in doubt but it is being spun today as if it is a new revalation and don't worry about the currency cause even the no camp are now telling us it's fine.

You'll be aware that the press, TV, BBC, UK Government - and Better Together too - all worked quite hard to give the impression that "no currency union" actually meant "no pound at all." Osborne in particular tried to fool people in Scotland into thinking that the money in their pockets would somehow cease to exist after independence, and the country would be left with no currency at all.

This is just a welcome corrective to the deliberately misleading impression that the No camp have been working very hard over the last few months/years to disseminate.

Archived