Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

Yet they have specified that the pound will not be shared.

Interesting.

As for rUK requiring no plan, do you honestly think that is the case?

The pound is not an asset. This has been done time and time again on here.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony C Pick on the verge of a meltdown here.

I have to laugh at the Unionists (with the exception of SJC, as I can't bring myself to say anything bad about him) and their obvious blind panic.

77% of women polled thought that Salmond won the debate.

Tick tock, motherfrumpers.

Internally in Westmister I'm sure they have gone through the post-secession planning for a Scottish Yes vote, in some Risk workshop. What effect it would have on the economy, military etc.

But as rUK will continue on merrily, they don't have to create any new institutions, define a new currency, apply for membership of the EU etc.

It's more of an economic and strategic consequence thing.

I'll ask you what I've asked secessionists before - "Let's say rUK said, 'We've decided it's in your best interests and ours for there to be a Currency Union, so there has to be one. I know you aren't keen on it, and you've come out publicly saying you wont countenance it, but too bad. We've decided it needs to happen, and we've consulted our population on it."

What would your response be to that as a new sovereign country?

You're right though....we could make a "go of it" with a currency union but why separating from the Worlds 4th largest economy and a major player in World Politics is best for the people of Scotland I have no idea.

You have no idea?

Do some research then.

We get less back than we put in so what the hell does the size of the economy have to do with it?

The best long term option would be to start our own currency but as we all know this is a VERY expensive option to set up.

You're right though....we could make a "go of it" with a currency union but why separating from the Worlds 4th largest economy and a major player in World Politics is best for the people of Scotland I have no idea.

The UK is the 20th richest country in the World, Scotland would be 15th or 16th. A major player in World politics?? A joke but, even if you still believe this is true, I would rather live in a country which has nothing to do with going into illegal wars on the orders of the USA.

Internally in Westmister I'm sure they have gone through the post-secession planning for a Scottish Yes vote, in some Risk workshop. What effect it would have on the economy, military etc.

But as rUK will continue on merrily, they don't have to create any new institutions, define a new currency, apply for membership of the EU etc.

It's more of an economic and strategic consequence thing.

I'll ask you what I've asked secessionists before - "Let's say rUK said, 'We've decided it's in your best interests and ours for there to be a Currency Union, so there has to be one. I know you aren't keen on it, and you've come out publicly saying you wont countenance it, but too bad. We've decided it needs to happen, and we've consulted our population on it."

What would your response be to that as a new sovereign country?

Here's a question for you, Tony.

In the event of a Yes vote, will you get behind the sovereign will of the Scottish people and support a currency union?

You can even be on my #teamscotland if you want x

The UK is the 20th richest country in the World, Scotland would be 15th or 16th. A major player in World politics?? A joke but, even if you still believe this is true, I would rather live in a country which has nothing to do with going into illegal wars on the orders of the USA.

Labour's Devolution Commission said we would be the 14th richest country without factoring in a drop of oil.

Here's a question for you, Tony.

In the event of a Yes vote, will you get behind the sovereign will of the Scottish people and support a currency union?

You can even be on my #teamscotland if you want x

I don't believe a CU is in Scotland's best interests following a Yes vote, so No.

I'd be in the camp wishing a new currency of our own.

Blair McDougall on the wireless about our new"guaranteed" powers. The old favourite collecting our own income tax and borrowing powers enabling us to start our very own pile of debt.

Not good enough.

I quite like the irony that he spouts 'whit's plan B' all the time yet can't tell us what new powers we are getting.

You have no idea?

Do some research then.

We get less back than we put in so what the hell does the size of the economy have to do with it?

Scotland received more in spending than it produced in revenue in the latest GERS figures.

Anthony C Pick on the verge of a meltdown here.

I have to laugh at the Unionists (with the exception of SJC, as I can't bring myself to say anything bad about him) and their obvious blind panic.

77% of women polled thought that Salmond won the debate.

Tick tock, motherfrumpers.

I agree that Salmond won the debate last night simply because the Unionist arguement can only be reiterated from previously.

It's a bit like being in Opposition in the House of Commons where they can attack the Government of the day for their perceived (in many cases actual) failings claiming that with them in power everything would be much better.......from the safety of not actually having to deliver.

Scotland received more in spending than it produced in revenue in the latest GERS figures.

Are you including our population share of the deficit?

I agree that Salmond won the debate last night simply because the Unionist arguement can only be reiterated from previously.

It's a bit like being in Opposition in the House of Commons where they can attack the Government of the day for their perceived (in many cases actual) failings claiming that with them in power everything would be much better.......from the safety of not actually having to deliver.

I think Salmond is expecting to deliver.

Strange you didn't feel the need to make this point in reverse after people strangely decided Salmond won the first debate, which was clearly nonsense and proved only that they had decided this before a word was said? Why is that?

So you can't see why some people may have thought Salmond edged the first debate?

The first debate was pretty much a nonsense with both performing very poorly and pretty even. Either or could have edged it.

Last night was an utter bloodbath.

Archived