Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

List all the sectors for the UK, Scotland and some other countries.

Why? You think our manufacturing industies for example are thriving and will in any way compete with China or the like? Even IT and the Service Industry sector is being outsourced to India.......the applies to the UK as a whole let alone Scotland.

The only industry sectors I hear the Yes'er talk of is the Oil industry.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, rather than avoiding the issue, please illustrate exactly why its a strong bargaining position to go into negotiations where you have said "I really want this and I badly need it and I don't want to consider any fallback position because they are awful".

Now, let's play hardball.

:lol:

To give clarity would mean announcing plan B, only an idiot does that in negotiations.

And I understand that - but a lot of the electorate would like to know lots of whom are undecideds. At least you seem able to concede that he hasn't been clear on what plan B is as opposed to others who are so blinkered they think they heard something that they didn't last night.

Why? You think our manufacturing industies for example are thriving and will in any way compete with China or the like? Even IT and the Service Industry sector is being outsourced to India.......the applies to the UK as a whole let alone Scotland.

The only industry sectors I hear the Yes'er talk of is the Oil industry.

List them and the %'s.

Again, rather than avoiding the issue, please illustrate exactly why its a strong bargaining position to go into negotiations where you have said "I really want this and I badly need it and I don't want to consider any fallback position because they are awful".

Isn't that effectively what BT and the Westminster Government are doing by refusing to plan for negotiations until after the result is known?

And isn't it what Darling said last night when he called all the currency options rotten?

The table will be full of goodies to use as negotiating tools.

Isn't that effectively what BT and the Westminster Government are doing by refusing to plan for negotiations until after the result is known?

And isn't it what Darling said last night when he called all the currency options rotten?

Of course its'not what they're doing.

it was a shitefest throughout . the opinion is the same in my office and even yes voters are saying they were not overly impressed with what was on display.cringey and emberassing stuff

haha amazing how the NO voters are all saying this, meanwhile the YES voters are in the real World where Darling got annihilated in the debate. The funniest bit was at the end where he just couldn't go away from his carefully prepared speech and went on about no plan B, as though the previous 90 minutes hadn't happened

Of course its'not what they're doing.

No.

No, when you state that EVERY option available to Scotland is rotten your opinion becomes relevant, we are the only country on the planet that can't make a go of it due to our inability to use a currency.

The best long term option would be to start our own currency but as we all know this is a VERY expensive option to set up.

You're right though....we could make a "go of it" with a currency union but why separating from the Worlds 4th largest economy and a major player in World Politics is best for the people of Scotland I have no idea.

No.

So Yes need to tell us the Plan B now in case they don't get what they want, but BT don't need to tell us their plan B if they don't get what they want?

Seems fair.

Is that why they won't tell us what assets Scotland would be entitled to, while demanding that Scotland must take a "fair share" of the liabilities?

I'm absolutely not. For me to be convinced it is clear he would have needed to say something like "we will be using the pound, I believe it is best that we do so in a currency union and that is what I will be arguing for. If the rest of the UK are silly enough to block it then we will use the pound out with a union. This means I have no plans to create a new currency or joint the euro "

That would be clear enough for me to know exactly what to expect but I still can't find anyone on here that is able to show me where he has been completely clear on this.

did you miss the debate??? He said this last night

So Yes need to tell us the Plan B now in case they don't get what they want, but BT don't need to tell us their plan B if they don't get what they want?

Seems fair.

Is that why they won't tell us what assets Scotland would be entitled to, while demanding that Scotland must take a "fair share" of the liabilities?

rUK isn't having a referendum. They require no Plan A or B on anything. They aren't seceding from Scotland.

And they have also said that iScotland will get a fair share of assets too. Neither assets nor liabilities can be specified until the point of separation would be known.

Don't forget, and it would be easy to do so because the SNP lied to people about the international law implications of secession, that the UK will continue as a state following a Scottish secession.

It's not the break up of the UK into two equal entities. It's the secession of a small chunk.

That means they will retain EU membership, UN membership, World Bank membership and all other facets of the existing UK. Which also is why the SNP's rhetoric of "it's oor poond too" is garbage.

rUK isn't having a referendum. They require no Plan A or B on anything. They aren't seceding from Scotland.

And they have also said that iScotland will get a fair share of assets too. Neither assets nor liabilities can be specified until the point of separation would be known.

Yet they have specified that the pound will not be shared.

Interesting.

As for rUK requiring no plan, do you honestly think that is the case?

Seems fair.

Seriously? You expect BT to run their campaign based on what they'd do if they lost?!

I can just hear David Cameron et al on their soapboxes now saying "when we lose the next General Election we're going to provide strong opposition in the House of Commons" i.e: never!

In terms of dividing up Scotland/UK's assets.....that'll be like any other divorce agreement. i.e: not actually discussed until a separation is agreed.

Archived