Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

FFS. You are deliberately on the wind up.

You are deliberately mixing two questions.

I'm absolutely not. For me to be convinced it is clear he would have needed to say something like "we will be using the pound, I believe it is best that we do so in a currency union and that is what I will be arguing for. If the rest of the UK are silly enough to block it then we will use the pound out with a union. This means I have no plans to create a new currency or joint the euro "

That would be clear enough for me to know exactly what to expect but I still can't find anyone on here that is able to show me where he has been completely clear on this.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No they don't run a deficit or no they don't continually state it can't be done?

They don't say a country cannot run a deficit using dollarisation.

Please quote them on that if you disagree.

I'm absolutely not. For me to be convinced it is clear he would have needed to say something like "we will be using the pound, I believe it is best that we do so in a currency union and that is what I will be arguing for. If the rest of the UK are silly enough to block it then we will use the pound out with a union. This means I have no plans to create a new currency or joint the euro "

That would be clear enough for me to know exactly what to expect but I still can't find anyone on here that is able to show me where he has been completely clear on this.

The line about buses was absolutely desperate.

Darling said it last night, obviously you didn't hear him because you were protecting your ears from the shouting match.

^^^clutching at straws

You're the second one to say that of me since last night but join the other chap in not answering my point. It's a fairly simple question and not something that is the be all and end all in terms of the debate for me but I am just trying to see where the clarity is and I can't.

Nicola Sturgeon asked Carmichael the same question on child poverty, he has been hidden away since. The only thing that will save Darling is the proximity to the referendum. It's bad enough he never seen the Carmichael debate, it's pathetic that a Scottish Labour MP couldn't tell you how much more children would be pushed into poverty by the cuts planned by Gideon.

You're the second one to say that of me since last night but join the other chap in not answering my point. It's a fairly simple question and not something that is the be all and end all in terms of the debate for me but I am just trying to see where the clarity is and I can't.

To give clarity would mean announcing plan B, only an idiot does that in negotiations.

Nicola Sturgeon asked Carmichael the same question on child poverty, he has been hidden away since. The only thing that will save Darling is the proximity to the referendum. It's bad enough he never seen the Carmichael debate, it's pathetic that a Scottish Labour MP couldn't tell you how much more children would be pushed into poverty by the cuts planned by Gideon.

Ian Murray also disappeared after his shameful lies about his office being vandalised and his staff being terrorised.

Darling said it last night, obviously you didn't hear him because you were protecting your ears from the shouting match.

Darling said this last night:

Countries that run other people’s currencies, like Panama and Ecuador, have to run a surplus. They cannot borrow. That is why it’s a nonsense option.

Source

You two can argue about what he meant, this post is for info.

He was asked fro his best option after a YES vote, if I recall correctly he said he wasn't going to discuss what he believed was his plan B, he obviously agrees with Salmond's stance on keeping your plan B under wraps until it's needed, pleasing.

Darling isn't asking Scotland to take a "leap of faith" like Salmond is he.......hence "his opinion" on a Plan B is irrelevant.

I think the emphasis on sterlingisation made it obvious what a second preference would be. Nonsense anyway, there will be a currency union.

Who used them as an example of prosperity, I used them as an example of a country running a deficit while using dollarisation, NO continually states that that can't be done.

So what is the point of seeking Independence if not for greater prosperity?

To give clarity would mean announcing plan B, only an idiot does that in negotiations.

Of all the absolute garbage spouted by Yes supporters, this is absolutely the worst, and most obviously ludicrous canard.

It actually strengthens Scotland's negotiation position if they have a Plan B they can adopt should they not get what they want.

At the moment they would be going in to a negotiation with the other side knowing they are utterly screwed if they don't get a CU. Who exactly does that benefit in a negotiation? The side desperately begging for it, or the side who has the power to grant it or not?

Darling isn't asking Scotland to take a "leap of faith" like Salmond is he.......hence "his opinion" on a Plan B is irrelevant.

No, when you state that EVERY option available to Scotland is rotten your opinion becomes relevant, we are the only country on the planet that can't make a go of it due to our inability to use a currency.

Also, it's not like there is a Plan B they have up their sleeve that no one else knows about.

Everyone knows what the options are for an iScotland post independence currency wise.

Of all the absolute garbage spouted by Yes supporters, this is absolutely the worst, and most obviously ludicrous canard.

It actually strengthens Scotland's negotiation position if they have a Plan B they can adopt should they not get what they want.

At the moment they would be going in to a negotiation with the other side knowing they are utterly screwed if they don't get a CU. Who exactly does that benefit in a negotiation? The side desperately begging for it, or the side who has the power to grant it or not?

You're just slavering now, announcing your plan b and having a plan b aren't the same thing, YES have more than 1 plan b.

Everyone knows what the options are for an iScotland post independence currency wise.

Archived