Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

He won't ever have said we can't. The currency question wasn't cleared up at all tonight. Watch it back if you don't agree.

I think its been fairly clear from what Salmond has said that it will be a Panama-style use of the pound outwith a currency union if Westminster don't let us enter into a union. Which doesn't sound like a very good option, especially if Salmond is saying we won't pay our share of the debt.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not enough to make a real dent in the polls, imo, but then I don't believe the polls reflect public opinion.

I am still interested to know why Eyebrows McGee called one of the studio audience "Brian", when as far as I know he didn't give his name.

Aye he did. It was a Brian Connelly.

I was expecting "its a puppet!!!!" tbh rather than some fat fella with no neck.

Not enough to make a real dent in the polls, imo, but then I don't believe the polls reflect public opinion.I am still interested to know why Eyebrows McGee called one of the studio audience "Brian", when as far as I know he didn't give his name.

I'm sure Glen Campbell introduced him by his first name.

Salmond tore Darling a new one tonight

Darling continuously asked "Whats the plan B with the currency" even though it was the very first question Salmond answered. He also went on to admit "Of course we can use the pound" .

He had a horrendous night tonight which was extremely pleasing to watch :D

I didn't see the debate as I was otherwise engaged but the sense I'm getting from people I trust on social media was that tonight could be the beginning of the end for the union. Definitely think I spoke too soon calling it over three weeks ago and it's game on now.

FLIPPER!

No, but Osbourne did.

Which is a totally different thing but never mind that. I'd also need to see the full context of what Osbourne said as it wouldn't surprise me if he said you walk away from the pound in terms of a currency union as I'm pretty sure he too will know that anyone can use the pound.

That's a separate question.

You asked what our currency would be.

You've been repeatedly told it'll be the pound.

You asked for a plan B and you've been repeatedly told that'll be the pound as well.

Even Darling accepted it would be the pound tonight.

Now you want to change the question to ask what kind of pound?

That's fair enough but at least have the decency to acknowledge that your first question has been answered instead of trying to wrap two questions into one.

We'll be using the pound.

You'll have the answer to that second question after the 18 months of negotiation.

I'm not trying to spin anything as I genuinely haven't seen where anyone from yes has clearly and unequivocally said that it would be the pound regardless. Please show me where it says that as actually that's all I'm trying to be clear on.

He won't ever have said we can't. The currency question wasn't cleared up at all tonight. Watch it back if you don't agree.

This can't be "cleared up" until it is needed to be. In the case of a yes win for example. Everything until then is guess work. Reason It won't be cleared up cos BT are using it as their only line of defence

I didn't see the debate as I was otherwise engaged but the sense I'm getting from people I trust on social media was that tonight could be the beginning of the end for the union. Definitely think I spoke too soon calling it over three weeks ago and it's game on now.

Don't worry. You will get a fair and balanced report of it in tomorrow's papers and all other parts of the MSM.

I'm not trying to spin anything as I genuinely haven't seen where anyone from yes has clearly and unequivocally said that it would be the pound regardless. Please show me where it says that as actually that's all I'm trying to be clear on.

Chief that was absolutely clarified tonight.

When Darling mentioned the currency nonsense in his closing speech the audience laughed.

One by one the reasons for not voting Yes have been defeated. What will No Thanks come up with tomorrow?

We will be using the pound. It's our pound just as much as it's the rUK.

What part of that did you miss?

I would say Salmond won that debate but like I said previously, his style won't have done much to make those yet to make a decision switch to Yes.

No gain for Yes on No in today's post-debate poll.

Not surprising.

This can't be "cleared up" until it is needed to be. In the case of a yes win for example. Everything until then is guess work. Reason It won't be cleared up cos BT are using it as their only line of defence

Exactly. If orlandoblue wants definitive answers on the currency, he might as well be directing questions towards Better Together and their utter inability to explain their position, as representatives of Westminster, towards currency negotiation in the event of a Yes vote. It's not the Scottish government who are skipping round the issue any more, it's BT. And as well they might, because they got utterly humiliated tonight and that nasty little "mah baw and your no playin'" line of defence collapsed further than Darling's arse did.

I listened to the Call Kaye thing on my way home, you'd have though Salmond just nudged it by their experts analysis etc. Judging by a skim read of here it was a landslide, or close to. I wasn't going to bother with it but I've just flicked onto the repeat on STV.

When Fraser Nelson over at the spectator admits that salmond "probably" won, you know he did.

As the better together holding line retreats back towards the coast of Dunkirk it seems that the spectator (and Curtis on the BBC) claim that it won't change anything. As does McDougall too. Not sure if that's the case.

I'm not convinced the polls are representative up here. I think there are too many from milngavie or morningside giving the same answers to the same questions rather than maryhill or muirhouse.

If the polls as they stand start to close i think the reality is far, far more than that.

I would say Salmond won that debate but like I said previously, his style won't have done much to make those yet to make a decision switch to Yes.

No gain for Yes on No in today's post-debate poll.

Not surprising.

There will be a small bounce in the coming days but I fear you might be right - he won the debate hands down but many undecided won't have been persuaded. The shite-flinging near the end will turn many off. That suited Darling.

We will be using the pound. It's our pound just as much as it's the rUK.

What part of that did you miss?

Its looking like a Panama-style use of the pound unfortunately. Plan A still to cross our fingers and hope Westminster are bluffing about a currency union. Plan B to just go ahead and use pound with no central bank etc

I listened to the Call Kaye thing on my way home, you'd have though Salmond just nudged it by their experts analysis etc. Judging by a skim read of here it was a landslide, or close to. I wasn't going to bother with it but I've just flicked onto the repeat on STV.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it was a skelping.

I'm watching it again for clarity.

Archived