Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't see another thread for this.

The second live debate will be on the BBC on 25th Aug and be broadcast all across the UK this time.

What do you want to see at this debate that was different to the last one?

Honest discourse rather than silly posturing would be a starter.

Couldn't see another thread for this.

The second live debate will be on the BBC on 25th Aug and be broadcast all across the UK this time.

What do you want to see at this debate that was different to the last one?

Some Non-Bias from the BBC

I'd be happy enough if the debate went along the lines of the last debate.

If Salmond doesn't want to answer questions and waste his own questioning on nonsensical topics such as driving on the other side of the road or aliens from outer space I'm totally cool with that.

I'd be happy enough if the debate went along the lines of the last debate.

If Salmond doesn't want to answer questions and waste his own questioning on nonsensical topics such as driving on the other side of the road or aliens from outer space I'm totally cool with that.

????

Mr Darling. Could Scotland be a succesful country?

So Alistair, what new powers can you promise Scotland?

Ummm.....errrrr.

errrr....blink.....ummm(point finger repeatedly at Salmond)...."best of both worlds!!"....blink blink......errr.

I want to hear Salmond put Darling on the backfoot. Darling is the UK representative and as you say, this time it will be broadcast all across the UK.

- What is rUK's plan if there is no currency union. What does it really mean for the rUK? What is the UK's plan B? (£ goes in a tailspin)

- If it is a Yes vote, what currency option does AD prefer. (widny answer that question on news earlier)

- Justify Scotlands contribution to things like HS2 / Trident. When 100's thousands live in poverty.

- Why is it he feels we need the promise or premise of new powers if we currently have the best of both worlds?

- What exact powers can he outline if Scotland votes no

- Why is he debating a backbench opposition MP who has no mandate to deliver any powers....where is the PM?

- Get this Scottish banks bailed out myth dead and buried. If majority of debt made in London, then that is who pays it.

- Bring Gordon Brown into the debate (Brown said blocking CU was a daft move). AD hates him!

I'd like Alex Salmond to be massively more prepared and better briefed this time. He needs to be told to cut the shite jokes and go all out on the offensive.

On the bare facts alone, the case for independence is pretty much unanswerable. Salmond has the material to bury Darling, so he needs to drive home his advantage.

He also needs to out-shout Darling, if that's the path Darling wants to go down again. Darling was clearly briefed before the last debate to shout over the top of Salmond. This can't be allowed to happen again.

And finally, a bit of impartiality from the BBC would be nice. I realise that probably won't happen, but we can hope.

So Alistair, what new powers can you promise Scotland?

Ummm.....errrrr.

errrr....blink.....ummm(point finger repeatedly at Salmond)...."best of both worlds!!"....blink blink......errr.

But Darling is a representative of the campaign, it's not his job to come up with policies of future Governments either side of the border.

Better Together should have turned the argument over who debated in the TV debates on its head and said 'Why should Salmond debate independence' - his is only one vision of independence and suggested maybe those in charge of the Yes and No campaigns.....

But Darling is a representative of the campaign, it's not his job to come up with policies of future Governments either side of the border.

Better Together should have turned the argument over who debated in the TV debates on its head and said 'Why should Salmond debate independence' - his is only one vision of independence and suggested maybe those in charge of the Yes and No campaigns.....

We do get told here that "it's not about the SNP" so why not?

On multiple occasions Salmond suggested that it would be correct if Canavan debated Darling as they were direct opponents in the debate, that is why he originally refused to debate Darling.

I think he originally refused to debate Darling because he had a fair idea he'd have his arse handed to him on a plate.

That was utterly embarrassing. Not one single person in the country watched that and thought "oh well, now that Alistair Darling has been forced to concede we could be a successful country, I'm going to vote yes". A total fucking waste of a question.

Any repeats of that and the game will be up.

That was utterly embarrassing. Not one single person in the country watched that and thought "oh well, now that Alistair Darling has been forced to concede we could be a successful country, I'm going to vote yes". A total fucking waste of a question.

Any repeats of that and the game will be up.

I disagree. A lot of soft no voters are worried that Scotland wouldn't cope financially by itself so that myth needs punted into touch.

I'd like Alex Salmond to be massively more prepared and better briefed this time. He needs to be told to cut the shite jokes and go all out on the offensive.

This. Talking about driving on the other side of road and being more susceptible to attacks from outer space was just a stupid thing to include in a first question of what should be an incredibly serious debate.

The Nationalists who refuse to believe Salmond lost the debate badly (even though many Yes supporters concede Salmond was woeful) keep referring to the "can Scotland be a successful country" question. It's a daft question. Of course Scotland can be a successful country, no one is arguing against that. The argument from No supporters is Scotland would be more successful as part of the United Kingdom.

Archived