Scottish Cup Saturday! and League Preview 16th August 2014

South of Scotland League

Crichton v Mid Annandale - Crichton should be too strong opposition for Mids who are beginning to struggle and will need to start picking up more victories if they are to remain in a strong mid table position. 3 points here for Crichton will move them into the top 4 and they certainly won't be looking to drop below that any time soon.

Dumfries YMCA v Upper Annandale - Another very tough match for the YMCA against their old friends from the Saturday Amateur league with Uppers looking to bounce back from last night's defeat and begin to move back up the league table after falling a good few places in the past week. It's looking like it'll be a long hard season for the YMCA who are still chasing their first point but I can't see it coming this Saturday with Uppers being far too strong.

Edusport Academy v Fleet Star - An unexpected close game could be on the cards here which would not have been expected at the start of the season. Fleet are struggling again this season but will be no walkover against an Edu side which have been largely disappointing so far and are still looking for their first ever South league win.

Heston Rovers v Abbey Vale - Another unexpected close game could be the case here after Heston struggled over the line in a 3-2 win against Creetown and Vale buoyant after beating Mids 2-1. With this being Heston's first home game this season, they may feel more comfortable on the Palmerston surface and show a different performance to those in the past week.

Lochar Thistle v Creetown - A simple enough victory should be what happens here with Lochar on fantastic form flying high at the top of the league with no reason to look down. Creetown's defence will likely be in for a tough match and may well be on the tail end of a heavy victory after just missing out on a point last night against Heston.

Scottish Cup

Auchinleck Talbot v St. Cuthbert Wanderers - A very tough match for St Cuthbert Wanderers here with Auchinleck being one of the top junior sides in the country and will be looking to progress into the first round proper. The teams met a few years ago with Talbot winning 1-0 but dominating most of the match with only a fine goalkeeping performance keeping the score to 1, however this will give Saints the hope that with a couple of goals and a big defensive performance the could certainly earn themselves a replay or even sneak the victory.

Newton Stewart v Hawick Royal Albert - A match that Newton must be licking their lips at, especially given their current form. Hawick play in the East of Scotland first division and will certainly be no pushovers, especially given the occasion. However Newton must look at this match as a game they should be winning and will be disappointed with any other result.

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Civil Service Strollers - Civil Service play in the East of Scotland Premier Division and will be looking to come to Wigtown and leave with nothing but a victory. Wigtown certainly won't be letting that happen without a fight and the current south champions will no doubt throw everything they have at Civil Service in order to take something from the game. A replay could well be the outcome of this game.

Best of luck must go to the three south clubs who are flying the flag for the league and will no doubt give it everything to progress to the next round.

As always, these views are my own and if you don't agree with them then I couldnt give a shite. Please feel free to fire your own opinion on, it's always great to see what everyone else's thoughts are. Any personal attacks, as always, will be laughed off.

I understand that both Newton and Wigtown appear on this fixture card. May I just add that no one cares about the Newton committee or the Wigtown committee, or who sent who a letter, or who wants to play where, or who is better than who, or which players granny makes the best soup. There's other Newton/Wigtown topics on here for you all to spout your pish in there.

CKK

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish Cup

Auchinleck Talbot v St. Cuthbert Wanderers - A very tough match for St Cuthbert Wanderers here with Auchinleck being one of the top junior sides in the country and will be looking to progress into the first round proper. The teams met a few years ago with Talbot winning 1-0 but dominating most of the match with only a fine goalkeeping performance keeping the score to 1, however this will give Saints the hope that with a couple of goals and a big defensive performance the could certainly earn themselves a replay or even sneak the victory.

Just to correct this. It was last season and was 4-0, although you are correct in that the goalie kept the score down. It was the most one sided match I have ever seen and the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen

Just to correct this. It was last season and was 4-0, although you are correct in that the goalie kept the score down. It was the most one sided match I have ever seen and the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen

You are indeed correct. My apologies, I had it in my head that it was only 1-0.

Archived