Dundee vs Partick Thistle - 16/08/14

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was Osbourne, but it was Osman, hands all over every Dundee player that had the ball in the centre of the park, terrible time-waster as well. Even during the first half he was at it. Very effective for Partick Thistle, but frustrating as a Dee that whenever we got the ball he'd kill any chance we'd have of momentum by demanding our players give him a cuddy-back.

As much as I agree at how frustrating it is, you'll need to quickly learn how to play that way needed. Incredibly cynical league this

You've had a relatively easy start to the season. 9th and 10th from last season at home. You couldn't beat either, even when 10th from last season played a third of the game with 10 men.

If you genuinely still believe you're going to finish top 6 then you're beyond deluded.

Six points dropped already this season, we will end up blowing this league.

I'm the same mate, I'll settle on a Euro spot now and look to build for next season 8)

The draw feels like a win to me after being down to 10 men for the last half hour or so and facing a penalty. It felt like the division 1 days at Dens where on more than 1 occasion we've played alright for a spell and then chucked it away so to get a point rather than lose all 3 as we have done in the past is a major improvement. Our central defensive pairing of Seabourne and Balatoni look a lot more comfortable than our defence was last season and should in theory get better as they get to know one another. It's been said before but Fox being sent off was probably the best thing that could've happened in terms of potentially saving the penalty as he's rotten at them (he might've saved 1, possibly in the cup against Cove?) whereas Gallacher has a decent record of saving them, possibly saving more than has been scored into him. If I was Archie I'd be tempted to shove Gallacher on any time we concede a penalty if Fox keeps the number 1 spot.

Onto Dundee and without wanting to criticise too much for fear of the usual minority jumping on any minor gripes it must be incredibly frustrating to play the system you do. Everything is so narrow bar the full backs and it makes it so much easier for even the poorer defences in this league to defend against unless you have one of the better strikers in the league. We can generally struggle when our defenders are turned to face their own goal by players getting crosses in behind but bar the one cross from Harkins (I think) which resulted in a header saved by Gallacher it didn't really happen and a lot of Dundee's good play was played out in the space in front of our central defence and created very few clear cut chances bar the goal. Undefeated after 3 games is decent but Dundee risk putting themselves under far more pressure than their team should be by not picking up wins at home against teams like Killie and us. It what caused us to be in the playoff battle last season until the 2nd last game of the season when a lot of our fans thought the team was much better than the results we got although if Dundee continue to play the way they do, possibly play Wighton more or get another striker in then they should be comfortably safe IMO.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but I felt Dundee should've had a penalty later on when Balatoni dragged one of their players down when going for a header. It looked more of a penalty than the 1 given although I'd concede the far corner of the main stand is probably the worst angle in ground for seeing incidents in the far side penalty area.

The draw feels like a win to me after being down to 10 men for the last half hour or so and facing a penalty. It felt like the division 1 days at Dens where on more than 1 occasion we've played alright for a spell and then chucked it away so to get a point rather than lose all 3 as we have done in the past is a major improvement. Our central defensive pairing of Seabourne and Balatoni look a lot more comfortable than our defence was last season and should in theory get better as they get to know one another. It's been said before but Fox being sent off was probably the best thing that could've happened in terms of potentially saving the penalty as he's rotten at them (he might've saved 1, possibly in the cup against Cove?) whereas Gallacher has a decent record of saving them, possibly saving more than has been scored into him. If I was Archie I'd be tempted to shove Gallacher on any time we concede a penalty if Fox keeps the number 1 spot.

Onto Dundee and without wanting to criticise too much for fear of the usual minority jumping on any minor gripes it must be incredibly frustrating to play the system you do. Everything is so narrow bar the full backs and it makes it so much easier for even the poorer defences in this league to defend against unless you have one of the better strikers in the league. We can generally struggle when our defenders are turned to face their own goal by players getting crosses in behind but bar the one cross from Harkins (I think) which resulted in a header saved by Gallacher it didn't really happen and a lot of Dundee's good play was played out in the space in front of our central defence and created very few clear cut chances bar the goal. Undefeated after 3 games is decent but Dundee risk putting themselves under far more pressure than their team should be by not picking up wins at home against teams like Killie and us. It what caused us to be in the playoff battle last season until the 2nd last game of the season when a lot of our fans thought the team was much better than the results we got although if Dundee continue to play the way they do, possibly play Wighton more or get another striker in then they should be comfortably safe IMO.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but I felt Dundee should've had a penalty later on when Balatoni dragged one of their players down when going for a header. It looked more of a penalty than the 1 given although I'd concede the far corner of the main stand is probably the worst angle in ground for seeing incidents in the far side penalty arear.

Thistle were very physical all game, especially in the first half and while all teams push and shove in the box (and fall over for no reason) I thought Thistle did a good job of putting the Dundee players in a metaphorical headlock. I think I know the incident you're on about, it looked to me like the guy had both his hands on or round the Dundee players neck. I'm sure there were plenty incidences of Dundee fouling in the box too, I don't know how the Refs call one and not another sometimes but that one looked pretty obvious but no one seemed to make a big deal about it.

He did

The change of tactics didn't involve changing from being far too narrow in midfield, which is the point I was making and has also now been noted from a few of the Partick fans. It was improved in the second half but surely this instruction should go out when Hartley sees the issue rather than waiting to half time to make the change. I also was disappointed we don't seem to trust our CBs to take the ball forward - it is infuriating that midfielders come back to pick up the ball rather than allowing one of the central defenders, that has the ball in the first place, bringing it forward then passing to a midfielder who has found space.

Fox has saved 2 penalties, both in cups, vs Cove and last year vs Cowdenbeath, christ knows how many he has faced and got nowhere near though. Gallacher has now saved 3 out of 4 since he signed for us.

Wasn't there yesterday, but from the highlights the penalty does look a bit soft, sort of thing you see every set piece- dunno if we had been warned about it beforehand or similar, which would make it more understandable. In a way I'm glad if we're being a bit close to the edge with pushing / holding at set pieces, the amount of guys who scored unopposed headers against us from dead balls last season was unreal.

Fox was daft, letter of the law that's a red card, credit I suppose to McGowan for not collapsing in a heap. Can't see us appealing it which probably means Fox is back to the bench when his suspension is over.

Would have taken a point before kick off, would have bitten your hand off at 10 men and facing a penalty. As decent as Wednesday was, I think County's other 2 results have put it in context a bit. I think we might have to stick with Keenan for the next 2 games, confident we'll get a LB and CF in on or just before deadline day though.

Great to hear us described as physical. Genuinely can't remember us ever being described as that. Our three new signings fit the bill though. Good that we can mix it up now cause last season we played lovely football, but were seen as having a soft centre.

Also don't really remember Osman's time wasting. The best time wasting was from Archie at the end, when the ball came towards the dugout at the end. Two great dummies to let it go past him.

Being too narrow never effected us yesterday, having JMc in there did however. Numerous times he was far too far ahead of Ferry, leaving huge gaps.

It's no coincidence that Ferry had a fucking superb game, when left to look like he was doing everything.

Agree with this. For every good thing Jim does there's always a headless chicken moment to follow. Ferry was excellent yesterday.

Great to hear us described as physical. Genuinely can't remember us ever being described as that. Our three new signings fit the bill though. Good that we can mix it up now cause last season we played lovely football, but were seen as having a soft centre.

I was about to post the same. I remember last season, especially noted against Aberdeen, our players would lose out on most physical exchanges and always looked weak comparative to whoever we were playing.

Can't believe I'm typing this, but that was a fine display of sensible stewarding. That grubby muppet could've been papped out at any point during the first half. Instead, he was ushered out at half time with minimum fuss.

You mean your point was aimed at tripcode. So which also means your point isn't really a point.

Am not rising to the bait. This is how these long boring slanging matches begin...which aren't great for the large majority of posters.

There were a few posters apart from me being positive about our season and a high finish. I settled on 7th plus or minus one. Others, including Deestruction have said we're 7th on paper.

Everyone has their opinion. The season is young. We need time to settle as a new side. We were very close to a win against Killie and Partick. If we'd won one of those then we'd be on 5 points and undefeated, which would have been a great start. With Thomson back and Wighton up front alongside either Stewart or Tankulic we could really push on.

I disagree with you on Ferry. I don't think he's a natural holding player. Too many of his passes went astray yesterday and it wasn't all because of JMac. Thomson is able to play the short ball, the long ball and also the defence splitting medium range ball, on the deck. He's a tackler and gives the team stability and poise. I like Ferry though but think he's better further up the park making shorter, quick passes, supporting the attack.

Best picture I could get as I now sit in the mainstand.

Now I know the bobby cox was pretty gd for the boo boys but main stand hands down wins.

Mrs Roberts however is a babe

They Derry is getting bad for the boo boys now. Old guy behind me yesterday spent the whole match screaming for us to lump it up the park then screaming when we were not keeping hold of the ball.

Genuinely, what?

Were you at the game? He was our only player who kept the ball going in the right places. If there's anything you can pick out his performance, his distribution is the furthest from it.

Yes I was. Why did we miss Thomson so much if Ferry had a great game? Quite a few of his long balls went astray. Again I really like the guy as a player. Great spirit and drive... excels at shorter, quick passes further up the park.

After watching the highlights I still have no idea what the referee seen to give the penalty. Not quite sure what Fox did, it wasn't really a shove or a punch but it was stupid and I feel we'd be stupid to appeal it. He was just asking to be sent-off especially with the referee being absolutely desperate to give Dundee the advantage.

Gary Fraser, oh ma gawd.

Ferry struggled a bit yesterday, as most did in the first half. But he proved he can't play in the holding role the way McBride or Thomson could. He was too rushed and it allowed Partick to dictate the tempo. If McBride or Thomson were playing, I suspect the first half would have been more even as we tried to get our passing game going.

Wouldn't say Ferry had a bad game yesterday though, he played well, he just didn't have the assets to play the role that was asked of him in the first half but played his normal game in the second half and done well.

Archived