Menzel

I'm seriously looking at emigrating at least for a short time through TEFL next summer after uni. Desperately trying to suss out whether I'll have the baws to do it come summer though, especially since it involved £400 to get the actual qualification, but like others I'd kick myself if I reached 30 and still found myself living in Scotland having experienced nothing else.

Not sure how I'd cope leaving family, friends and football in favour of an almost completely new life in another country with no grasp of the language right enough but the thought of it sounds exciting. Really fancy somewhere like Prague, Budapest or Slovakia, not sure I could handle Asia.

Most of the heartbreak would be from Heart of Midlothian withdrawls, naturally.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seriously looking at emigrating at least for a short time through TEFL next summer after uni. Desperately trying to suss out whether I'll have the baws to do it come summer though, especially since it involved £400 to get the actual qualification, but like others I'd kick myself if I reached 30 and still found myself living in Scotland having experienced nothing else.

Not sure how I'd cope leaving family, friends and football in favour of an almost completely new life in another country with no grasp of the language right enough but the thought of it sounds exciting. Really fancy somewhere like Prague, Budapest or Slovakia, not sure I could handle Asia.

Keep an eye on Groupon - they had the online course for £49 a few months ago. Sadly it's no longer available but it might come up again. Kicking myself for not just getting it at the time.

Edit: I'm talking shite - here you go: http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dealbank_en_gb/learn-tefl-1/41980758

Interested in getting a wee thread going to hear some other people's experiences (unsure if there's a thread going already- if this should be in Travel I apologise!). In a weeks' time I'm making the big move with a view to settle, over in the Czech Republic. Think I'm relatively ready (though if anyone knows how I can get access to open all mics etc on a Saturday please let me know!) but I'm curious to hear how other people have fared, their apprehensions, how long it took them to get into the swing of things, what they miss and so on.

Ken there's probably a couple here that have gone off to the US and so on, but anyone made the move over to Europe/somewhere 'east' so to speak? How have you found it?

I've lived in the Czech republic for about 6 years now on and off, is It Prague you are moving to or one of the towns?

CZ is a great country to live in, the banks are a bit odd, they seem to go out the way to piss you off

Doctors cost you 200Kc a visit, you'll need to get a medical card from your company because the UK card isn't valid there, hospitals are an experience, medially they are sound but they don't supply soap, toilet paper, towels....if you are going to get hit by a bus, make sure you have all that packed and with you

If it is Prague you are staying, you will hate stag do's within the 1st week and will hide any markings of being Scottish/British to avoid conversations with seedy cockneys telling you about playing amusing games involving prostitutes of different races......

Radio Scotland sometimes works through the BBC website, Filmon will allow you to watch British TV, otherwise get a VPN like ibVPN, it' about £15 a year and gives you a UK VPN that means you can watch Sky go and Iplayer

Keep an eye on Groupon - they had the online course for £49 a few months ago. Sadly it's no longer available but it might come up again. Kicking myself for not just getting it at the time.

Edit: I'm talking shite - here you go: http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dealbank_en_gb/learn-tefl-1/41980758

Cheers - a bit wary about how reliable the company is would be my only concern, they aren't really recognised by any key accreditation bodies.

Will definitely keep an eye out for others though, didn't even think to check groupon.

I'm moving out to Auckland, New Zealand next week. A bit nervous but also can't wait for new opportunities that it will bring. It was either stay here or do a bit exploring. It was a no brainer.

Good luck in Czech Republic.

I've been away from Scotland for 6 and a half years now.

I landed in New Zealand in January 2011, a year in Auckland and the rest in Christchurch.

When anyone asks me about NZ, I usually say it's much like home except more laidback and the weather is better.

Auckland can be pretty hectic traffic wise, the roading infrastructure hasn't caught up with the growth, I like Auckland but prefer the South Island.

out of greenies!

I've lived in the Czech republic for about 6 years now on and off, is It Prague you are moving to or one of the towns?

CZ is a great country to live in, the banks are a bit odd, they seem to go out the way to piss you off

Doctors cost you 200Kc a visit, you'll need to get a medical card from your company because the UK card isn't valid there, hospitals are an experience, medially they are sound but they don't supply soap, toilet paper, towels....if you are going to get hit by a bus, make sure you have all that packed and with you

If it is Prague you are staying, you will hate stag do's within the 1st week and will hide any markings of being Scottish/British to avoid conversations with seedy cockneys telling you about playing amusing games involving prostitutes of different races......

Radio Scotland sometimes works through the BBC website, Filmon will allow you to watch British TV, otherwise get a VPN like ibVPN, it' about £15 a year and gives you a UK VPN that means you can watch Sky go and Iplayer

Ahoj! Good to hear from you.

I'm moving to Brno though when I did Erasmus years ago I did a six month stint in Prague. Where abouts do you stay in town? I've got a bit of an advantage moving out as I can already speak the language (the plan is I'm taking a year off my PhD to get some better language training/experience, hoping to settle and finish it off there before looking for more permanent work) but the banks etc are a bit of a worry. Are there any you'd recommend on the cheap side? Not needing many frills aside from internet banking and the 'expat accounts' I've seen from CSAS etc look like a bit of a money waster.

Thanks for the VPN information - nae too worried about iPlayer and so on but missing the fitba commentary on the radio at the weekend would be sorely missed.(as would be seeing the dons of course). Next time I'm in Prague I'll shout you a pint if you're around.

Also cheers everyone for the replies, when I was away last time it was never long enough to really 'miss' much but interesting to hear from people who made the jump about what they miss and the perspectives they've had from their time away. Six days to go and struggling to pack up the flat I've been in for seven years now - nightmare!

Also GorgieRoad if you're thinking about those places feel free to PM or let me know: I've experience in all those cities and even did Hungarian at uni for a year so if I can help with finding language tuition/guides to the place then it's the least I could do.

I'm moving out to Auckland, New Zealand next week. A bit nervous but also can't wait for new opportunities that it will bring. It was either stay here or do a bit exploring. It was a no brainer.

Good luck in Czech Republic.

New Zealand is a great place to live, as KiwiDB says its much more laid back and the weather is superb most of the time. I would say get out and explore as much of the country as you can, Auckland is my least favourite part of NZ, but you don't have to drive far from Auckland to find nice beaches and get away from all the people. Plan to move back to the south island as soon as we can. I obviously miss my friends and family back home, skype makes things easier, but everything else about living here is positive. You'll have a great time.

Ever since my brother moved to New Zealand I've thought about following suit. What happens over the next year or so could make up my mind for me though.

My bro loves it over there. He's had to move about a bit to find work but him and his Kiwi wife are now settling in Auckland. He's on here as well so if he sees this thread I'm sure he'll help you.

Come on over wee man, you know it makes sense!

The South Island of New Zealand is a fucking beautiful, great place to live. I really, really didn't like Christchurch but the rest is the tits.

I finished my online TEFL in May and moved to Beijing 2 weeks later. It's the best decision I've ever made. I'm planning on staying for 2/3 years

I looked into doing it, was all prepared to, then my mates I was planning on going to Oz with all got relationships and I didn't want to go myself.

Perhaps in a few years I might man up and head by myself

Do it yourself, travelling/living abroad is not easy all the times, doing it in pairs or more is a lot more difficult, finding accommodation & jobs is first priority for that to all fall into place with everyone happy, you'd have to be very lucky.

Most people doing it with "friends" find out very quickly that these "friends" can get to f**k as they holding you back.

Has anyone ever worked in Bangalore? Would be interested to hear more 1st hand experience!

I know a few people who moved out to Chennai to help start up and train folk when my last employer moved a lot of their admin stuff there. Pretty much everyone of them will tell you they enjoyed it for the year/2 years they were there, but they wouldn't go back.

out of greenies!

Ahoj! Good to hear from you.

I'm moving to Brno though when I did Erasmus years ago I did a six month stint in Prague. Where abouts do you stay in town? I've got a bit of an advantage moving out as I can already speak the language (the plan is I'm taking a year off my PhD to get some better language training/experience, hoping to settle and finish it off there before looking for more permanent work) but the banks etc are a bit of a worry. Are there any you'd recommend on the cheap side? Not needing many frills aside from internet banking and the 'expat accounts' I've seen from CSAS etc look like a bit of a money waster.

Thanks for the VPN information - nae too worried about iPlayer and so on but missing the fitba commentary on the radio at the weekend would be sorely missed.(as would be seeing the dons of course). Next time I'm in Prague I'll shout you a pint if you're around.

Also cheers everyone for the replies, when I was away last time it was never long enough to really 'miss' much but interesting to hear from people who made the jump about what they miss and the perspectives they've had from their time away. Six days to go and struggling to pack up the flat I've been in for seven years now - nightmare!

Dobre Rano

I've only been in Brno 2-3 times for weekends, It's a nice place, Fitba wise they aren't great, your not far from Vienna though

I used Unicredit, They charge you for everything, Because of a fcuk-up with my company I ended up paying my rent for 3 months and had to set up a direct debit, month one went ok, second month my letting agent emailed to say they hadn't been paid.

I went to the bank and they said they had not agreed to make a monthly payment of my money and I would have to re-submit my form for approval....at more cost.

I am still getting paid in the UK and one of the guys I work with is paid in CZ, I pay a couple of bills for him in the UK and he gives me Kc which I use day to day and just take money out my UK account from ATM's when I need it.

I stay just off of Zitna on the border of Prague 1 & 2 which is pretty central but also close to IP Pavlova for public transport

There is a Scottish ex-pat football team based in Pardubice called Dukla Skotsko and there is a Scottish club in Prague with a shop that sells Scottish goods. But in my experience, you are better making friends with locals rather than ex-pats, Czech and Slovak people are very nice, the women are mostly stunning but mental and the beer is great.

http://www.skotskyobchod.eu/index.php?cid=40

Also GorgieRoad if you're thinking about those places feel free to PM or let me know: I've experience in all those cities and even did Hungarian at uni for a year so if I can help with finding language tuition/guides to the place then it's the least I could do.

Cheers mate, might take you up on that nearer the time! Spent a couple of days in each city over the summer there and loved them, Hungarian looked absolutely mental to learn, picked up a few basics but the rest is confusing as f**k.

I finished my online TEFL in May and moved to Beijing 2 weeks later. It's the best decision I've ever made. I'm planning on staying for 2/3 years

Glad to hear that, was it fairly easy to find work after completing the course?

You can bribe everyone over there with food . Take loads over with you . . especially fruit and veg . Mind n take some gear , for personal use obviously , their stuff is really expensive .It's nae bather .
I've noticed on that Australia airport programme that they're really keen on those vacuum packed eggs from China so I might take a few of them in.
Dundee?
The main thing I'll miss will be the football. I can't see me following Perth Glory as an attempted alternative so it'll have to be up streaming matches at yon time in the morning. There's also family, friends, my mum's cooking, the pets, my good job, sausage suppers, Irn Bru, etc, but other than that, what is there to lose?

Cheers mate, might take you up on that nearer the time! Spent a couple of days in each city over the summer there and loved them, Hungarian looked absolutely mental to learn, picked up a few basics but the rest is confusing as f**k.

Glad to hear that, was it fairly easy to find work after completing the course?

Yeah it's really easy, I got a job two days after I finished it. I found my job on onlinetefl.com/jobs. It's a decent website for finding opportunities abroad.

I've noticed on that Australia airport programme that they're really keen on those vacuum packed eggs from China so I might take a few of them in. The main thing I'll miss will be the football. I can't see me following Perth Glory as an attempted alternative so it'll have to be up streaming matches at yon time in the morning. There's also family, friends, my mum's cooking, the pets, my good job, sausage suppers, Irn Bru, etc, but other than that, what is there to lose?

You can get Irn Bru in Oz. You can also watch Scottish games on Setanta live, delayed or highlights http://www.setanta.com/au/ . If really desperate you'll find Tennants Lager, Skull Splitter, Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, Walkers oatcakes & shortbread amongst others but after you've been here for a while it usually tastes ultra sweet, shite and nothing like you remember. Perth Glory have a good fan base and they create a lot of atmosphere, especially when they are doing well.

Archived