Menzel

You can get Irn Bru in Oz. You can also watch Scottish games on Setanta live, delayed or highlights http://www.setanta.com/au/ . If really desperate you'll find Tennants Lager, Skull Splitter, Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, Walkers oatcakes & shortbread amongst others but after you've been here for a while it usually tastes ultra sweet, shite and nothing like you remember. Perth Glory have a good fan base and they create a lot of atmosphere, especially when they are doing well.

WTF is skull splitter?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left the Uk over 10 years ago. Lived in Hungary for 6 years, short stints in Russia and Canada. Then lived in China, Vietnam and now in The Philippines. The best two countries have been Hungary and Vietnam. I don't have any real desire to return to the UK.

I'm not interested in emigrating at all but I wish everyone who does it the best of luck.

One of my friends went to Australia 4 years ago. I think he likes it but misses a lot back here. It's not for everyone I suppose but you don't want to reach 40 and think "what if."

To the folk that moved to Oz/NZ, did you move over there first then look for work with some hefty savings behind you or did you have a job to move out to?

The reason I ask is that both the wife and I work in the NHS and would be looking for similar jobs. Also, if we had a job, would that not make us more likely to get an entry visa as we could be sponsored by our new employer.

It confuses the f**k outta me!

To the folk that moved to Oz/NZ, did you move over there first then look for work with some hefty savings behind you or did you have a job to move out to?

The reason I ask is that both the wife and I work in the NHS and would be looking for similar jobs. Also, if we had a job, would that not make us more likely to get an entry visa as we could be sponsored by our new employer.

We moved on a Permanent Residency visa, and found jobs when we arrived. I'd strongly advise that you speak to an Immigration expert about what your options are. I know that we (Australia) have cut back on the number of work visas recent;y but I really don't know the ins and outs of it.

I'm a nurse, I am now with a Nursing Agency. Have a few bits and bobs still to do when I arrive in Auckland, so looking to start working middle of September.

What jobs do you do in the NHS?

We moved on a Permanent Residency visa, and found jobs when we arrived. I'd strongly advise that you speak to an Immigration expert about what your options are. I know that we (Australia) have cut back on the number of work visas recent;y but I really don't know the ins and outs of it.

Just taking first tentative look at moving abroad. So just trying to find a wee bit online but I find most sites leave me with more questions than answers tbf. As for the different types of visa available, I'm at a loss. And I would just like to have an informal chat with someone but I feel as though most places would give it the hard sell.

I'm a nurse, I am now with a Nursing Agency. Have a few bits and bobs still to do when I arrive in Auckland, so looking to start working middle of September.

What jobs do you do in the NHS?

Both nurses as well. I have A&E/Admissions background whereas the missus has Outpatient/Ward background. The thought of working in an agency wouldn't bother me but think the missus would like a stable job to step into. Or am I confusing Agency abroad with Guild/Agency nursing here?

What was the application and interview process like? Did they deal with everything over here?

Nursing is on the the Australian government skilled occupations list http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx so that will help you.

I think you've got three options:

Easiest & cheapest way to get to Oz is if you can find an employer to sponsor you; having an A&E background will help with this particularly If you have any kind of post-grad qualification. Not sure how many hospitals are sponsoring at the moment but it might be worth contacting some. Have a look at the various state government health departments websites (public hospitals are operated by the State rather than National government)

You should qualify for a "skilled independent visa" which will get you over here; finding work shouldn't be a problem. This application process can be time-consuming and will cost. I think this is deliberate to weed out the time-wasters. You can cut the hassle (but incraese the expense) by using a migration agent https://www.mara.gov.au/search-the-register-of-migration-agents/

If you're under 30, think about a working holiday visa. Come over for a year, see if you like it and possibly build up a relationship with an employer who might sponsor you for permanent residency.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

Just taking first tentative look at moving abroad. So just trying to find a wee bit online but I find most sites leave me with more questions than answers tbf. As for the different types of visa available, I'm at a loss. And I would just like to have an informal chat with someone but I feel as though most places would give it the hard sell.

Both nurses as well. I have A&E/Admissions background whereas the missus has Outpatient/Ward background. The thought of working in an agency wouldn't bother me but think the missus would like a stable job to step into. Or am I confusing Agency abroad with Guild/Agency nursing here?

What was the application and interview process like? Did they deal with everything over here?

I have been qualified 5 years and have 1 years back experience followed by 4 years of Renal inpatients and outpatients.

Have a look on Geneva Healthcare NZ website. As I am on a working holiday Visa I can't take full time employment for more than 6 months so Agency work suits me. I can pick and choose my shifts as well as do more traveling, but Geneva also try to accommodate staff looking for permanent positions, but like you say it depends on your Visa options.

It took me around 5 months to obtain my Nursing registration. It seems a long time but with paperwork taking around 1 week to reach the Nursing Council in Wellington it fairly adds up. The process as a whole is fairly straightforward.

Geneva have been very helpful and in regular contact, the phone interview was very informal as they already had my CV anyway. I arrive in Auckland this Friday and have a meeting arranged next Tuesday.

If you need anymore help or info with the application process let me know.

Archived