Menzel

Interested in getting a wee thread going to hear some other people's experiences (unsure if there's a thread going already- if this should be in Travel I apologise!). In a weeks' time I'm making the big move with a view to settle, over in the Czech Republic. Think I'm relatively ready (though if anyone knows how I can get access to open all mics etc on a Saturday please let me know!) but I'm curious to hear how other people have fared, their apprehensions, how long it took them to get into the swing of things, what they miss and so on.

Ken there's probably a couple here that have gone off to the US and so on, but anyone made the move over to Europe/somewhere 'east' so to speak? How have you found it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm moving out to Auckland, New Zealand next week. A bit nervous but also can't wait for new opportunities that it will bring. It was either stay here or do a bit exploring. It was a no brainer.

Good luck in Czech Republic.

Best of luck with the move! TBH I think that's the conclusion many more folk are getting these days, either move out somewhere and find a job work a dead-end shift or on the dole while looking for something suitable. One of my good pals is giving up and moving back to Slovakia after being here since he was a child, as there's nothing for him in Glasgow despite graduating with a 2:1 in languages last year.

I'm moving out to Auckland, New Zealand next week. A bit nervous but also can't wait for new opportunities that it will bring. It was either stay here or do a bit exploring. It was a no brainer.

Good luck in Czech Republic.

New Zealand is the tits, mate. Jealous as hell. Make sure you get up to Northland a lot, lovely area right on your doorstep.

Menzel, you'll be fine and will likely have a blast. The transition likely won't be as hard as you expect.

Always something I've wanted to do. Only 19 just now but if I am still here come 30 I would be pretty disappointed. That might change right enough. Canada is pretty much where I intend to go. The only thing that really worries me about it is the smaller things, Like the Rovers. I barely function during May and June. How am I expected to cope only seeing about 1 game a year...

Obviously family too but I would get over that

Moved to Switzerland just over 2 years ago.

Lifestyle and general attitude over here is fantastic, as is the weather.

Wish I had thrown myself ball deep into the language straight away, as it is a massive struggle to make time for lessons and the like now I am working full time.

Do your best to fit in with the locals, and their customs/behaviour etc. I tend to find that Swiss folk can be quite hostile to foreigners that don't try and adapt to "Swiss" expectations in that respect. It'll make it easier to make contacts for all sorts of things, and buy you time when you do occasionally make a c*nt of something.

Also, in 6 months time you'll notice that whenever you hear a Scottish accent, no matter which area it comes from(Even Dundee), you'll want to talk to the person for no reason other than the fact that they'll understand you perfectly, even if that is probably a bad thing.

Fucking emigrants. Going over there, freeing up jobs :angry:

If I wasn't over here taking their jobs and screwing their women, I'd teach them some f*cking manners about queuing.

Ever since my brother moved to New Zealand I've thought about following suit. What happens over the next year or so could make up my mind for me though.

My bro loves it over there. He's had to move about a bit to find work but him and his Kiwi wife are now settling in Auckland. He's on here as well so if he sees this thread I'm sure he'll help you.

A solid command of the local language has got to be the first priority - the amount of middle class types that pitch up in Tuscany or Provence with zero communication skills apart from speaking English loudly and slowly at the locals who then wonder why said locals won't have anything to do with them is remarkable.

Although it used to almost invariably be for keeps, living abroad for a finite period of time seems to be becoming more common - I know a guy who went out to Oz with his family, but with no intentions of staying any more than six or seven years, at which time his oldest would be starting secondary school.

We're off to Oz in Nov/Dec dependant on a few factors like getting the houses sold, no unforeseen hitches with the visa and hoping that they don't hold the fact that I overstayed my tourist visa by 3 years at the start of the millenium against me.

The missus is away for the first 2 weeks of September to suss out schools, property and meet her future employer, so assuming she's not flying with Malaysian Airlines we should be about ready to go on her return.

Every person outwith my close family has told us we're doing the right thing although that might be more to do with the fact that thay can't wait to get shot of us.

Cannot wait. What is there to lose? You can always come back.

I looked into doing it, was all prepared to, then my mates I was planning on going to Oz with all got relationships and I didn't want to go myself.

Perhaps in a few years I might man up and head by myself

We're off to Oz in Nov/Dec dependant on a few factors like getting the houses sold, no unforeseen hitches with the visa and hoping that they don't hold the fact that I overstayed my tourist visa by 3 years at the start of the millenium against me.

The missus is away for the first 2 weeks of September to suss out schools, property and meet her future employer, so assuming she's not flying with Malaysian Airlines we should be about ready to go on her return.

Every person outwith my close family has told us we're doing the right thing although that might be more to do with the fact that thay can't wait to get shot of us.

You can bribe everyone over there with food . Take loads over with you . . especially fruit and veg . Mind n take some gear , for personal use obviously , their stuff is really expensive .

It's nae bather .

Dundee?

I lived in NZ for a year and have always thought I'd end up back there later in life. It's obviously similar to living in the UK but I found the people infinitely more chilled out and not in so much of a hurry all the time.

As said earlier, it's not a permanent choice if you want to come back at some point so you've got nothing to lose and at the very minimum a whole new life experience to take away from it. A couple I know emigrated to NZ a few years back with the intention of it being permanent but they didn't settle and came back within a year saying the grass isn't always greener. I also know plenty of others who went to NZ, Oz and Canada who are 'living the dream'.

Good luck in the Czech Republic.

Archived