Referees threaten to strike

The way the story is presented on the BBC their point is pretty much what SD said: that the discrepancy is too big between the divisions, with the Hearts / Hibs / Rangers games being used only as examples. If that's the argument then they have a point, I'd say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28778818

Not according to ex-ref Dougal

"Most people would accept a Rangers-Hearts, Rangers-Hibs, Hearts-Hibs game in the Championship is just like a Premiership match," said Dougal.

"So, absolutely, I think they should get a Premiership wage for doing Premiership matches that are under the banner of the Championship."

As someone posted yesterday, presumably they'll be happy then to accept less for a Hamilton v Ross County game, for example, in the Premiership?

Either the matches are categorised based on the teams involved, irrespective of the division, or they are categorised by division and they accept some games they'll "win", some they'll "lose"

They cant have it both ways.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone posted yesterday, presumably they'll be happy then to accept less for a Hamilton v Ross County game, for example, in the Premiership?

Either the matches are categorised based on the teams involved, irrespective of the division, or they are categorised by division and they accept some games they'll "win", some they'll "lose"

Absolutely this.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. He's using the examples of the bigger games to highlight the discrepancy with such a big difference in wages.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. He's using the examples of the bigger games to highlight the discrepancy with such a big difference in wages.

If that's the case then the £890 should be brought down not the Championship wage increased.

Until their performances merit a wage increase they shouldn't be paid a penny more than the great wage they already get. If they are willing to slash their fee for lower profile Prem matches to add this to the higher profile Championship matches then fair enough.

He uses the examples of bigger games to, quite clearly, state that they should get Premiership wages for Championship games. The difference between the two is never mentioned

However, Dougals opinion isnt really relevant to whats actually going on. The quote further down the article from James Bee is a lot more reasonable

I don't agree Yoss, Dougal said that refereeing a 'Premiership game' under the banner of the Championship should receive a 'Premiership wage'. They basically want a hike in wages for refereeing bigger teams.

ETA should have read on, MrX said just that.

Do the clubs pay the referee fee to their governing body or it is agreed by the footballing powers and they pay them.? Either way the rate has been settled in the past and should not make any difference to what team are in what league. The so called big three go themselves to this division by either their mismanagement of their income or the fact that the team lost more games than anyone else.

What happens next season assuming two of the so called big three get promoted and two of the Premiership teams (say Kilmarnock and St Mirren) are relegated. They also have been long established Premiership teams and I bet the referees would not be looking for a higher fee to officiate a game between these two teams or against the one of the so called big three that doesn't get promoted (given that they are now an established Championship team)

The story is being sensationalised by the media - not helped by Dougal's comments. The guy James Bee who is actually still involved in the refereeing association (unlike Dougal) put it across pretty well.

The fees are regularly reviewed by the SFA and one such review is currently underway. The refs have suggested that the discrepancy between the top two tiers is massive - in terms of ratios, it's about the same as the difference between the 2nd tier and the Juniors. Given that both leagues are primarily full-time, it doesn't make sense to have such a big difference.

The talk of a strike seems to have come entirely from the media - a bit like last season when the refs were upset about Ciftci's "assault" on a ref going unpunished.

The story is being sensationalised by the media - not helped by Dougal's comments. The guy James Bee who is actually still involved in the refereeing association (unlike Dougal) put it across pretty well.

The fees are regularly reviewed by the SFA and one such review is currently underway. The refs have suggested that the discrepancy between the top two tiers is massive - in terms of ratios, it's about the same as the difference between the 2nd tier and the Juniors. Given that both leagues are primarily full-time, it doesn't make sense to have such a big difference.

The talk of a strike seems to have come entirely from the media - a bit like last season when the refs were upset about Ciftci's "assault" on a ref going unpunished.

There are no more full-time teams in this league this year than there was last year. Why is it being raised now?

EDIT - I could be wrong here but was last year not the first time in ages that we've had 3 part-time teams in the 2nd tier?

Since reconstruction into 4 leagues I would imagine so. Raith are can be a bit of a nuisance when determining this as they have been a hybrid in the past but I would still class them as full time.

So the "two top leagues are primarily full-time", whilst true, doesn't really stand in this argument. They want more money because it's Rangers, Hibs & Hearts, plain and simple.

That penalty was far from being stonewall. There was a few dodgy ones after that though.

Im just going by the reaction on the match thread, where people seem to be suggesting it was. I sit too far down the stand to see that area of the pitch clearly, so Id need to see it again to decide myself

Ach, let them strike. Refs are just lucky their pay isn't performance-based; probably 30 out of 36 games last season we came out the ground talking about some howling ref's blunder or two. Or more. We'd probably do better if all the player's parents stood along the touchlines and whoever shouts loudest gets the decision.

Had a look online this morning at the StJ/Celtic penalty, can't believe for a minute it would have been given if the teams had been reversed. But Andy Walker says so so that's alright then.

If it is because of additional profile/pressure of having the big 3 in the league then that profile/pressure has been removed from the SPL.

It's a zero sum gain so any increase in the championship should be offset by a decrease in the SPL salaries.

There are no more full-time teams in this league this year than there was last year. Why is it being raised now?

EDIT - I could be wrong here but was last year not the first time in ages that we've had 3 part-time teams in the 2nd tier?

The comments from James Bee suggest that the discussions have been ongoing - it's more likely that the concerns started to be raised last season but that matters have come to a head now. In the past there was a distinction between the top tier and the other three due to the SPL/SFL set-up, but since they've come under one banner that no longer exists. The way the SPFL is structured, the second tier now has more commonalities with the top tier than it does with the third and fourth.

Archived