Referees threaten to strike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that leads to a goal it would be mental - though I bet many players don't know this (as well as many other basic) rules.

Make no mistake though, being a referee is hard. I've done it a few times and it's so difficult. Until you are in that position you don't appreciate it, that game moves around you so quickly and you need to constantly be alert. Still, for £1000 a week (assuming you take in a top flight and lower league game) that's fantastic money and they should be competent.

Na I fully agree it would be far harder than it looks from our nice elevated view in the stands. I'm normally one of the last people to criticise a ref unless they fully deserve it unlike a lot of Sons fans.

Also agree they already earn plenty and for the money they get they should at least be able to get the basics right.

In their defence they rarely get praised for having a good game but absolutely berated for minor errors. Whilst the majority of ref performances I witnessed last season were well below par there were a few that deserved more praise than they got. Still doesn't warrant them receiving more than they already do mind you.

There is huge discrepancy between the Premiership and other divisions which various factors... including merger of SPL & SFL, relegation or ascendance of "big" clubs into Championship, and so on... has exposed. If they're looking to address that I'd agree with the argument. If they want the total overall fees to go up then I wouldn't.

What you can't do is bring standards into it, they're the best refs we've got and in comparative terms they're good quality.

Beaton made some other horrendous decisions aswell. Including giving Celtic a free kick when Anderson won a header by putting him hands on his own team mates shoulders. We seemingly got denied a stonewall penalty aswell, when Mackay cut inside and got dragged down, but I've not seen any decent view of it

Beaton made some other horrendous decisions aswell. Including giving Celtic a free kick when Anderson won a header by putting him hands on his own team mates shoulders. We seemingly got denied a stonewall penalty aswell, when Mackay cut inside and got dragged down, but I've not seen any decent view of it

Neither has the ref according to your opinion.

That penalty was far from being stonewall. There was a few dodgy ones after that though.

Im just going by the reaction on the match thread, where people seem to be suggesting it was. I sit too far down the stand to see that area of the pitch clearly, so Id need to see it again to decide myself

That penalty was far from being stonewall. There was a few dodgy ones after that though.

Aye, there was contact but he was looking for it. Van Dijk admitted in the post-match interview he'd made contact, think he thought he was lucky not to have given a penalty away tbf

The standard of refereeing in this country has been in decline, season upon season upon season.

Just because cash-strapped Hearts, a woeful Hibs team and some kind of Rangers tribute act have rocked up in the division, they think they are entitled to some kind of pay rise?

They can GTF.

Aye, there was contact but he was looking for it. Van Dijk admitted in the post-match interview he'd made contact, think he thought he was lucky not to have given a penalty away tbf

I thought the Mackay's foot was dragged back enough to bring him down. He had Van Dijk beaten and he made a clumsy tackle. He WAS lucky and the assistant should have seen it, and made an error in not making the call.

Archived