Referees threaten to strike

I see that the refs want to be paid Premier league rates for officiating at matches involvlng the so called big three in the Championship. In case anyone does not know who they are - Hearts, Hibs and Sevo.

It is the teams fault that they are in this division.

What a brass neck they have. Having watched Hearts v Sevo it was played at the standard of the Championship matches - if anything it was below the standards of some of last year's games so no need to pay the referee any higher rate. The refs are claiming that a higher fee is needed as the outcome of these matches will determine who gets promoted. This has never been a point of issue in previous season when vital games for promotion took place.

It looks as if another bunch of chancers are jumping on the bandwagon that is the Championship.

I am sure Fat Sally would be questioning the standard of refereeing on last Sunday's match.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any sympathy whatsoever for the argument that referees should get Premiership rates for working Championship matches involving the so called big three. They are here on merit they are Championship clubs and should be paid accordingly. I bet the referees are thoroughly well treated when they visit those clubs anyway so I doubt any are overly keen to refuse to work them.

I do think the inequality of rate of pay for referees between the Premiership (where they apparently get about £800 for a game) and the Championship where they get £195 is ridiculous though. I don't have a problem with Championship refs earnng more. It should come out of the Premiership rate though. Something like £600 for the Premiership and £400 for the Championship would be more reasonable IMO.

£890 I read. I don't think £600/400 is a big enough incentive to reach the top. For the sake of £200 would you rather ref Cowden v Livi on front of 200 people - and stroll it - or Celtic v Rangers where everything you do will be scrutinised. It obviously comes down to the individual but the financial incentive to reach the top should be there.

700/350/250/200.

The way the story is presented on the BBC their point is pretty much what SD said: that the discrepancy is too big between the divisions, with the Hearts / Hibs / Rangers games being used only as examples. If that's the argument then they have a point, I'd say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28778818

£890 I read. I don't think £600/400 is a big enough incentive to reach the top. For the sake of £200 would you rather ref Cowden v Livi on front of 200 people - and stroll it - or Celtic v Rangers where everything you do will be scrutinised. It obviously comes down to the individual but the financial incentive to reach the top should be there.

700/350/250/200.

That's a reasonable point I suppose. Maybe I didn't make the differential enough but my principle stands. The present differential is too much. There's no need to pay them more in total, just redistribute it.

Although I think it's worth remembering we don't have specific referees for each division and whilst the better refs get the bigger games more often, they do often swap them around the divisions. It's not as black and white as reaching a certain standard and getting the big money every week.

It's also worth remembering top refs often do two or more games a week.

With the amount of utterly inept refereeing performances (including decisions in favour of my team) I witnessed last season I'd say the current going rate is too much. Why should referees potentially earn more than a player who also attends training 2 or 3 nights a week? I even seen one ref book the completely wrong player which saved him from being sent off, amateur stuff.

Until the quality of refereeing improves then they should be happy with what they get. Infact with that dough on offer I'm thinking of taking it up myself.

I saw a linesman flag for offside directly from a throw in last season. Luckily the ref ignored him. Surreal.

Also seen Morton hit a penalty that cannoned straight off the bar back to the strikers feet who luckily put it wide. Ref had absolutely no idea that it should've been a foul. There was a kind of awkward stunned silence around the place that he was completely oblivious to the infringement.

Also seen Morton hit a penalty that cannoned straight off the bar back to the strikers feet who luckily put it wide. Ref had absolutely no idea that it should've been a foul. There was a kind of awkward stunned silence around the place that he was completely oblivious to the infringement.

If that leads to a goal it would be mental - though I bet many players don't know this (as well as many other basic) rules.

Make no mistake though, being a referee is hard. I've done it a few times and it's so difficult. Until you are in that position you don't appreciate it, that game moves around you so quickly and you need to constantly be alert. Still, for £1000 a week (assuming you take in a top flight and lower league game) that's fantastic money and they should be competent.

Archived