Americans and their gun culture

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I started this thread the idea of a 9 year old an uzi, putting it into fully automatic mode and allowing them full control of it was probably on the extremes of what we in Britain would consider "gun loving madness".

If anyone has ever fired a gun they will know the level of kick you get from them. The movies and computer games do not do it justice. It's loud, fucking loud, and they put an awful lot of force into your body making them difficult to control. Just think of the physics. You are propelling something at great speed in one direction, where does the equal and opposite reaction happen? It's all pushed onto the shooter.

I first fired a gun when I was 11, a double barrelled shotgun as part of a hunting party. Despite being given good advice on the stance and what to expect I was thrown back considerably. An uzi is not a shotgun, it doesn't kick in the same way, I appreciate that, but a shotgun uses buckshot which is dangerous but not as dangerous as 9mm ammunition and it cannot do so at a rate of 600 rounds per minute.

There is a video, don't worry nothing gory, that shows the girl practising in single shot mode. I am posting it here for people to realise the size and build of the child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfMzK7QwfrU (I have placed it in a link rather than embed it for the obvious reasons).

Edit: Another media link to the story http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gun-instructor-accidentally-shot-dead-by-nineyearold-girl-with-uzi-gun-9692843.html

Even hoodlums hate that gun as it is so uncontrollable. Typical of the mentality to even think about handing such a weapon to a slightly built child.

The only two words in the English language that do not belong together are. American and Intelligence.

Unbelievable yet somehow also unsurprising at the same time. The USA is an utter car crash of a country.

I heard an interview on the radio earlier relating to this story, asking an American official why on Earth a 9 year old girl was allowed to operate such a weapon. He replied that the legal age for such activities is 8 :1eye

I've just seen the story of the nine year old girl on the news and it's beyond shocking.

Not just the madness of placing such a thing in the possession of someone so young - but also the fact that she's now going to have to live the rest of her life knowing of her involvement in such a tragic accident. I don't blame the girl at all, she should never have been placed in that position - but the guilt that she'll carry will be utterly consuming.

The gun culture in America is just so foreign to me. I can never understand how there can be such continued support for the second amendment in the face of a seemingly never-ending sequence of these events. Neither can I seem to shake the idea that we probably only hear of the tip of the iceberg.

Even hoodlums hate that gun as it is so uncontrollable. Typical of the mentality to even think about handing such a weapon to a slightly built child.

The only two words in the English language that do not belong together are. American and Intelligence.

You forgot "gun" and "culture".

• 4 months later...

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly warped people in the UK's (and some other countries) views of US gun culture is and just their views on guns in general.

I've spoken to dozens of people from the UK who went over to live in America and they came back thoroughly pro-gun or at least neutral towards them. Truly sad you fall so easily hook, line and sinker for the little yarn your government and police forces are spinning you about disarmament laws increasing your safety.

I'd own a gun here if I realistically could, I'm not joining some shooting club or regularly going hunting just to get an application for a license rejected.

Says it all when self-defense isn't considered a valid reason by police in this country for owning a firearm.. or carrying any sort of weapon that could be used to defend yourself (10 years in prison for mere possession, not carrying, possession of a taser in the UK, don't forget!)

I get it though, you need to blame the inanimate objects like guns and knives and whatever the f**k. That way you can buy into an illusion of safety more readily, right? If you just get all guns off the street, you'll be safer.. If you criminalize carrying a knife in public, NOBODY will do that, right? Even those criminals who are planning on breaking the law already.

No mass murders.. No violent crime.. No being victimized by thugs..

But wait..

We had a deadly mass shooting in 2012. BUT WE HAD ONE OF THE STRICTEST GUN CONTROL LAWS ON THE PLANET?!?!

France just suffered a deadly mass shooting and a lockdown of the city for days. BUT THEY HAD GUN CONTROL LAWS AS STRICT AS OURS?!?!

Do you mean to tell me that guns STILL exist despite us banning them and can be fairly easily SMUGGLED INTO our country?

Do you mean to tell me someone breaking into my house could be armed with a knife or hammer despite offensive weapon laws FORBIDDING THEM FROM DOING SO?!

You can say whatever you like about guns or knives, but when they've personally saved your life several times and the lives of family members and friends even more times in situations where the police could not possibly have helped you.. You'll be a bit more fucking warm to them, trust me.

Can't commit mass murder (which makes up like 0.01% all crime in US anyway) without a gun anyway..

Oops, that's evidently completely wrong as well given all the mass knife/machete/vehicle/hammer/bare fist murders that have taken place around the world. And yes, many of them have absolutely been just as and more deadly than many mass shootings, before you ask.

And btw, UK has a higher rate of violent crime than the US. South Africa does as well (gun laws modelled on ours).

Also research Czech Republic gun/weapon/self-defense laws and look at their crime rate compared to ours, despite being less developed and being a gateway for Eastern European organized criminals into Europe.

But yeah, DUNBLANE HAPPENED.. ALL LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE MUST GO OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW!

Head completely gone, but people here fucking infuriate me with this shit.

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly warped people in the UK's (and some other countries) views of US gun culture is and just their views on guns in general.

I've spoken to dozens of people from the UK who went over to live in America and they came back thoroughly pro-gun or at least neutral towards them. Truly sad you fall so easily hook, line and sinker for the little yarn your government and police forces are spinning you about disarmament laws increasing your safety.

I'd own a gun here if I realistically could, I'm not joining some shooting club or regularly going hunting just to get an application for a license rejected.

Says it all when self-defense isn't considered a valid reason by police in this country for owning a firearm.. or carrying any sort of weapon that could be used to defend yourself (10 years in prison for mere possession, not carrying, possession of a taser in the UK, don't forget!)

I get it though, you need to blame the inanimate objects like guns and knives and whatever the f**k. That way you can buy into an illusion of safety more readily, right? If you just get all guns off the street, you'll be safer.. If you criminalize carrying a knife in public, NOBODY will do that, right? Even those criminals who are planning on breaking the law already.

But wait..

We had a deadly mass shooting in 2012. BUT WE HAD ONE OF THE STRICTEST GUN CONTROL LAWS ON THE PLANET?!?!

France just suffered a deadly mass shooting and a lockdown of the city for days. BUT THEY HAD GUN CONTROL LAWS AS STRICT AS OURS?!?!

Do you mean to tell me that guns STILL exist despite us banning them and can be fairly easily SMUGGLED INTO our country?

Do you mean to tell me someone breaking into my house could be armed with a knife or hammer despite offensive weapon laws FORBIDDING THEM FROM DOING SO?!

You can say whatever you like about guns or knives, but when they've personally saved your life several times and the lives of family members and friends even more times in situations where the police could not possibly have helped you.. You'll be a bit more fucking warm to them, trust me.

Can't commit mass murder (which makes up like 0.01% all crime in US anyway) without a gun anyway..

Oops, that's evidently completely wrong as well given all the mass knife/machete/vehicle/hammer/bare fist murders that have taken place around the world. And yes, many of them have absolutely been just as and more deadly than many mass shootings, before you ask.

And btw, UK has a higher rate of violent crime than the US. South Africa does as well (gun laws modelled on ours).

Also research Czech Republic gun/weapon/self-defense laws and look at their crime rate compared to ours, despite being less developed and being a gateway for Eastern European organized criminals into Europe.

But yeah, DUNBLANE HAPPENED.. ALL LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE MUST GO OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW!

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

Murders with firearms 14

Ranked 39th. 9,369

Ranked 4th. 669 times more than United Kingdom

Given the fact their population is around 5x what ours is, I'd say that to have 669 times more murders with firearms is quite a difference.

Our cultures are reasonably similar. There are obvious differences in mentality and such but in terms of poverty, homelessness, crime, interests... a lot of it is really similar. So what would be the main defining factor in them having so many more murders than us I wonder? Hmm.

For what it's worth, I've only just got back from spending 3 months in Georgia. The guys I was working with all carried their pistols everywhere and I got the opportunity to shoot everything from handguns to M16s to shotguns - even got to go deer hunting as well. I had a lot of fun shooting things, and if I had stayed in America permanently like I was considering, I'd probably own a gun. I still believe guns should be illegal, but in a country where they are completely legal then I'd certainly want one in the house. For example, a few days before I had to leave there was a shooting about 500 yards from the house and my brother in law, a paramedic, got the call about it. He phoned the house to let us know that the two shooters were 'around the area' and to lock all the doors etc. My sister does not keep a gun in her house but I certainly wished she did at that point.

The whole 2nd amendment thing about the guns being legal to overthrow a tyrannical government was cited to me a lot when the subject come up, but it's so out of date it doesn't even matter. As Jim Jefferies puts it, that worked fine when all anyone had was muskets but right now it would be the case of bringing a shotgun to a drone fight - the government and the army if they wanted to could do whatever they damn well please in that country and no amount of 'murricans with handguns would be able to do anything about it.

But wait..

So a higher violent crime rate and 669 times less murders.

You do the math, as they say there.

Archived