Monti off already

fan of the juniors

shawfield shed boy, on 14 Aug 2014 - 21:35, said:

Great player and goalscorer..

No offence to Pollok or Maltese leagues but this lad should be in the Championship or top half team fae division below,Scratchin my head no team from these leagues called him up,Strange

He's nowhere near Championship quality.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't offered a contract after the cut for his year at Celtic moved to Morton and then his agent at the time messed a deal up for him and by the time that happend Morton had found a replacement and couldn't afford to offer him a new contract then it was his decision to leave Dundee don't know if it was a lack of olaying time or what

Would you walk out on Troon if the opportunity arrived mate?

Don't know why the term walk out keeps being used, if I had opportunity to go do what Carlo is doing then Troon would be first people to encourage me to do so.

As a club they would want me to take on a fantastic opportunity.

Wasn't offered a contract after the cut for his year at Celtic moved to Morton and then his agent at the time messed a deal up for him and by the time that happend Morton had found a replacement and couldn't afford to offer him a new contract then it was his decision to leave Dundee don't know if it was a lack of olaying time or what

I have to disagree with your opinion that it was Monti's decision to leave Dundee.

Jim Duffy, the then Dundee manager, told him in last years mid-season transfer window that he would be getting released at the end of that season as his chances of a game at Dens was very slim. Carlo had options to move back to a few junior clubs and get regular football at that time, but chose to bide his time at Dundee and pick up his professional salary, which he was more than entitled to do.

Personally, I hope he makes the grade in Malta but have a suspicion we will see him back next season.

Jim Duffy hasn't been Dundee manager since Monti started playing professional football. The bottom line is that he wasn't convincing at Morton and was signed by Dundee off the back of his Junior goalscoring record. In that area at least it is a truly massive step up to the Championship. He'd have been fortunate to land another full-time deal in Scottish football.

John Brown had a fetish for signing 'rejects' of the game. He must have felt he was treated like one too after the Rangers saga so went about building a team with people who had no reputation or their reputation destroyed. He signed players such as Craig Beattie, Christian Nade, Stephen Hughes and Carlo Monti.

During that pre-season, he took Ryan Conroy off our penalties (One of the best penalty takers in Scotland, never missed for Dundee) and put Monti on them. Monti is a decent PK taker himself but nothing amazing, anyways, this led to him scoring a few in pre-season. As the season began we offered absolutely nothing up front and Monti was more than a little responsible. Finally Brown accepted that Monti wasn't very good but it took him a good while to do this, and stopped playing him. When Hartley came in, Hartley knew almost instantly that Monti wasn't anywhere near the required standard and told him he was free to go.

Monti played 16 times for Dundee and scored once (A penalty). Statistically, we were the best team in the league that season and he couldn't score to save himself.

Championship football is far from his level, League One probably is too. At a stretch, he might be good as a striker in League Two. As for his other positions, Morton fans would be in better positions to comment.

Jim Duffy hasn't been Dundee manager since Monti started playing professional football. The bottom line is that he wasn't convincing at Morton and was signed by Dundee off the back of his Junior goalscoring record. In that area at least it is a truly massive step up to the Championship. He'd have been fortunate to land another full-time deal in Scottish football.

My apologies, it was of course John Brown who was the manager at the time.

Archived