Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

I've said before that Macintyre has a Radio Clyde voice, ie, you can tell just from the sound of it how he pure loves the cut and thrust of debate about how brulliant ra Auld Furrum ur. 

RG wisnae brilliant, but he was better.

I'd love them to get Cosgrove to anchor the Saturday show sometime.

Excuse me, RG was/is brilliant.

Edited by kingjoey

On 03/10/2022 at 10:25, bdu98196 said:

Turned on not long after 5pm to hear the results and caught the obligatory chat about how the big Glasgow two cannot be expected to compete in the CL and why Ajax signing Bassey for £20M just emphasise the gap that exists where RFC & CFC can only spend £5 or 6M on a player (see Yilmaz/Jota for reference). Somehow being oblivious to the fact that this is a ratio of 1:4 yet comparing with Hearts (Shankland circa £500k) & Aberdeen (some guy about £550k) this is is a 1:10 ratio, yet as ever the Scottish clubs need to do more as its just not helping the OF compete because our domestic competition is not strong enough................fucking tiresome shite.

Strongly suggest giving Saturday's shows BBC offering from OTB through to Sportsound a big wide berth as its inevitable the chat will follow the above due to the absolute bodying's our representatives have had this week in Europe's Premier competition..................which we are often reminded is where these clubs belong and its enhancing for the reputation of Scottish football. Not really convinced on either point so far this season.................

Edited by bdu98196

12 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s virtually in tears the h*n b@stard. 

He could hardly get the words out. And I hope someone took the laces out of McCann’s brown brogues and checked on him at regular intervals throughout the night. 

I’m pretty sure I heard Richard Gordon presenting after either Aberdeen or Scotland had taken a real hiding. You could tell he was disappointed but he maintained his professionalism. 

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

He could hardly get the words out. And I hope someone took the laces out of McCann’s brown brogues and checked on him at regular intervals throughout the night. 

I’m pretty sure I heard Richard Gordon presenting after either Aberdeen or Scotland had taken a real hiding. You could tell he was disappointed but he maintained his professionalism. 

Aye, McCann went from pre-match and half-time excitement and positivity to disconsolate and doomed up at full time. I really can't think of a bigger prick on the radio (if we exclude Kenny McIntyre).

It followed on from John Collins & Peter Grant both in a state of dejection the previous night.

Absolute top quality radio and hopefully will be recognised as such at the next Radio Academy Awards.

It is always a pleasure to bear witness to when harsh reality strikes the Gruesomes that they're just a couple of diddies like the rest of us .

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I'm really looking forward to listening to Sportsound from 2pm on Saturday. It's great getting line ups, manager interviews and chat about games all over the country which are about to kick off. It's nice that they do that rather than spend the hour talking about games that finished two or three days ago.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm really looking forward to listening to Sportsound from 2pm on Saturday. It's great getting line ups, manager interviews and chat about games all over the country which are about to kick off. It's nice that they do that rather than spend the hour talking about games that finished two or three days ago.

In this instance I look forward to them talking about the Champions League for an hour to hammer home to everyone just how garbage Celtic & Rangers really are.

There's a distinct lack of, or less, maturity in old Firm fans that fans of any other Scottish club.  You'd expect Gordon to maintain his professionalism, you'd expect MacIntyre to sulk like a child.  It's just how they are.  McCann, Collins, Grant the same.

17 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Looking forward to hearing Kenny Macintyre discuss the shame and utter embarrassment of watching a Scottish team ship 7 in a European game.

I mean, he did it after our AZ game, he'll surely do the same again?

You will not hear much about hearts then

Commentary from Florence ( ? ) cancelled due to vital conversation about old grim crisis

Edited by Ewan8472

20 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

John Collins

Absolute idiot of a man, next generation of Bonner & Miller but unfortunately still gets on TV as well as radio. Cringe every time he speaks. There are some good younger pundits, but there are far too many dinosaurs who are still adapting to the pass back rule and have no connection to the modern game other than the tedious anecdotes and linking to their past lives which they look to cling onto. After dinner speaking for all that pish.

Whether people agree the BBC for MoTD made changes and punted Hansen & Lawrenson at the time and replaced with Shearer, Wright etc and there looks to be a time when these guys are slowly being phased out with younger & more relevant pundits coming in. The issue with Sportsound is that its the same old tired voices who have been around decades and still fantisise about the 'good old days' where we really need and want ex-pros from the last few years who understand the clubs, leagues and modern game.

Cant wait to hear their take on VAR..................afterall how many times when discussing a tackle the words come out 'wouldn't have been a foul in my day- Willie Miller:every fucking week!!!!'

On 11/10/2022 at 09:34, VincentGuerin said:

I've known a few footballers over the years, still know a couple. They tend to know much less about the kind of things fans take for granted.

To a fan a game is a memory, a day out, and fans love arguing about history, results, stats etc. Players just don't care about that stuff. Genuinely the ones I know have always surprised me with things they don't remember and aren't bothered about not remembering.

My brother-in-law couldn't tell me who he made his EFL debut against or what the score had been. I found that incredible, but he didn't really care. Another footballer I know completely forgot that he had played under a certain manager for a few months. A mate of my brother-in-law played in an FA Cup semi-final and remembered the score wrongly, just kind of shrugged when his dad corrected him.

It's something I've noticed over the years on Sportsound, the Si Ferry Interviews, Off the Ball etc too. Ex-players and managers often just don't remember things that seem obvious to a fan. Results wrong, opponents wrong, a manager wrong, the season something happened in wrongly recalled etc.

I really think most players and managers just mean it when they say 'onto the next game'. They just brush a lot of stuff off.

For example, Levein's hazy memory of the Barcelona thing makes sense if you think about it. Pre-season is a busy time. He'd have been thinking tactics, bringing players in, moving players out, trying players in a certain shape or combination. He'd be busy as f**k, and while fans might see Barcelona as exciting, he'd just see pre-season preparation and the issue of playing Barcelona would be way down his priority list.

FWIW, I met Levein last season and he seemed perfectly on the ball. I was actually surprised/relieved by how nice a guy he was. And a mate of mine was saying recently he and his pal chatted to Levein for a couple of hours in Riga, again, only positive reviews of the great man.

If you look at the game up here, you play most team at least 4 times a season. If you had a 10 year career in the Scottish Premier League then a lot of those games are going to merge in to one.

On 11/10/2022 at 14:57, craigkillie said:

I think it's very harsh to lump McCann in with the rest of those, he's generally a very good pundit.

He must be one of your pals.

I remember him being a big part of why Sky Sports content was unwatchable in comparison to BT Sports.

That conversation about clubs in Europe was utterly painful. They don’t actually listen to what each other have to say, they all have their opinions made and that’s final.

Not sure why Kenny allows them to ramble on for so long, constantly repeating themselves and not actually saying much at all.

Leanne must tear her hair out frequently because she’s the only one that makes any sense.