Sportsound Watch

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Is Richard Gordon actually fucking off or is this another Chick Young retirement moment?

Even though he isn't actually disappearing from the coverage, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.  RG has been a beacon of calm competence in anchoring Sportsound over the years amidst a sea of idiots, and it's quite clear that he's standing down from Saturdays but still doing other days. 

Chick on the other hand has enjoyed the luckiest broadcasting "career" I can think of given his absolute lack of talent  - and he really did trumpet that he was retiring, with the BBC sending him off with a farewell series about Scotland at the world cup (IIRC he swanned around abroad making it?), before boldly turning up the following season on OAM with his usual terrible jokes, word salads and pointless interruptions, as though nothing had happened.  He's the George Costanza of the Scottish football media, with less charm or integrity.

Edited by VictorOnopko

18 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Even though he isn't actually disappearing from the coverage, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.  RG has been a beacon of calm competence in anchoring Sportsound over the years amidst a sea of idiots, and it's quite clear that he's standing down from Saturdays but still doing other days. 

Chick on the other hand has enjoyed the luckiest broadcasting "career" I can think of given his absolute lack of talent  - and he really did trumpet that he was retiring, with the BBC sending him off with a farewell series about Scotland at the world cup (IIRC he swanned around abroad making it?), before boldly turning up the following season on OAM with his usual terrible jokes, word salads and pointless interruptions, as though nothing had happened.  He's the George Costanza of the Scottish football media, with less charm or integrity.

This IS the show. !!!! 

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

In mine too. Those fcukers have never got over ‘86. 

’86 would make you pity Hearts, or laugh at them, but not dislike them.

14 hours ago, Matthew Mols said:

I think apathy for Gordon is reflective of the Scottish football media as a whole. He has been there for 30 years and, as such, is part of the archaic deadwood that flies in the face of progress and open mindedness. ... See malky Mackay and Alex Rae as examples of men who are given roles they are inappropriate for and under qualified for but are shoe horned in as white Scottish men. 

In his P&J column following Malky Mackay's appointment at Ross County, Richard Gordon described fans who took issue with it as "desperate to be offended". So as much as he might be a competent broadcaster, that sums your point up nicely.

4 hours ago, Forfinn said:

In his P&J column following Malky Mackay's appointment at Ross County, Richard Gordon described fans who took issue with it as "desperate to be offended". So as much as he might be a competent broadcaster, that sums your point up nicely.

Newspaper columns are by their nature there to prompt the reader to some degree of passionate response and if that doesn't happen the columnist isn't doing it right but to be offended by such a piece, that is a bit desperate.

Also, was it a full page column or slightly less?

40 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’m sure someone else claimed he hated Hibs a while back as well. A clear anti-Edinburgh bias imo. 

To be fair, as he’s an Aberdeen fan we hate abody. 

29 minutes ago, sophia said:

Newspaper columns are by their nature there to prompt the reader to some degree of passionate response and if that doesn't happen the columnist isn't doing it right but to be offended by such a piece, that is a bit desperate.

Also, was it a full page column or slightly less?

The "it" in this context was of course the appointment of Malky Mackay rather than the column. I suspect you know that, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours ago, Forfinn said:

Yes, also plenty other examples of the small minded behaviour that has been a staple for the show since it's inception. As for his reputation as a "competent broadcaster", (as I see this type of adoration has reared his head as if he had just passed away - reminder he isn't even retiring just stepping back from Saturday's) I don't actually like his style. Anyone else notice come the full time whistle he burps and splutters his way through the results? Also his incessant laughing in between every sentence. Not everything is that funny. Especially when people bring up serious topics. 

Sportsound needs to move with the times. Give Scottish football the coverage it deserves.

• 3 weeks later...