Sportsound Watch

Peter Grant last night talking about Josh Doig. "People have been asking me why Celtic or Rangers haven't gone for him. He good enough to play for them." He's just gone to a team in Serie A.

There are 20 teams in Serie A, and they're certainly not all better than Celtic or Rangers. If he'd gone to AC Milan, Napoli or Juventus you'd have a point, but Verona are likely no better than the Old Firm.

Doig obviously isn't better than Bassey or even Barisic at Rangers, nor is he better than Taylor at Celtic.

On 14/07/2022 at 09:20, Stellaboz said:

Says a lot about Sportsound and how they see their listeners by appointing an absolute failure of a manager into some kind of punditry role. He's already showing his utter stupidity and ignorance of the product. 

Thats just another big f**k you to all the listeners. 

I don’t really get this, many many pundits end up in that role all over the world because they have been sacked, to a point they can’t get another gig elsewhere permanently. It’s not as if they can entice successful managers to jack their jobs and sit and watch a game instead. I do think it is too much of an old boys club though and that they should be interviewing folk properly, at least Peter would fall at the first hurdle by failing to produce his CV.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There are 20 teams in Serie A, and they're certainly not all better than Celtic or Rangers. If he'd gone to AC Milan, Napoli or Juventus you'd have a point, but Verona are likely no better than the Old Firm.

Doig obviously isn't better than Bassey or even Barisic at Rangers, nor is he better than Taylor at Celtic.

Thank you for correcting(?) me yet again. My point was more about the league that he has joined rather than the specific team. Playing in Serie A > Playing in Scottish Premiership, no matter which teams.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Thank you for correcting(?) me yet again. My point was more about the league that he has joined rather than the specific team. Playing in Serie A > Playing in Scottish Premiership, no matter which teams.

But you can be good enough for some teams in Serie A without being good enough for Celtic or Rangers, so this doesn't prove Grant wrong.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

But you can be good enough for some teams in Serie A without being good enough for Celtic or Rangers, so this doesn't prove Grant wrong.

It was the inference that it would be better for Lewis Ferguson to join one of them and play in the Premiership than to play in Serie A and (hopefully) develop himself further. Let me ask you this, I’d Aaron Hickey had gone to Rangers or Celtic two years ago would he have got a £17m move to the English Premier League? I don’t think that is even a possibility.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You are right but it is a bit grating to hear the assumption that every young player in Scotland sees the old firm as their natural career path. That’s the annoying bit, not necessarily nitpicking at the various standards in serie A.

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It was the inference that it would be better for Lewis Ferguson to join one of them and play in the Premiership than to play in Serie A and (hopefully) develop himself further. Let me ask you this, I’d Aaron Hickey had gone to Rangers or Celtic two years ago would he have got a £17m move to the English Premier League? I don’t think that is even a possibility.

I think the pundits were more saying that they (Celtic/Sevco) have missed a trick for that cash rather than Ferguson has missed out. Celtic have aided in the development of players for the EPL for yonks now including Scottish players so saying it isn’t a possibility for Hickey isn’t really true either. 

Edited by gannonball

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

Maybe the BBC should have a one off show with a few PnBers replacing their regular pundits.

If any BBC types are looking in...

Several P&B posters have appeared on the BBC - on a View From the Terrace, for example.

On 16/07/2022 at 09:16, craigkillie said:

The Old Firm?

*Dusts down 2012 notes*.

Stop pandering