Sportsound Watch

Only 3 games on. 2 of them have an effect on European placings, the other has no real effect on anything, and involves a club with whom BBC Scotland have an ongoing dispute. BBC Scotland have 2 live commentary games…

Of course they picked the two cheeks games.

What is the point of Paddy Bonnar? At the end of today's game he stated he had no idea how long Rogic and Bitton had been at Celtic nor how many appearances either had made. Before the game even I knew how many years as them leaving has being spouted across the media for days. Does he not even do any basic research on the only team he even has the faintest knowledge of? Embarassing.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

Does he not even do any basic research on the only team he even has the faintest knowledge of?

You know the answer to this already.

I put it on for 30 seconds by mistake heard him and turned off. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Only 3 games on. 2 of them have an effect on European placings, the other has no real effect on anything, and involves a club with whom BBC Scotland have an ongoing dispute. BBC Scotland have 2 live commentary games…

Of course they picked the two cheeks games.

celtic have just won a historic 9.75* in a row, ofcourse they are going to cover it, even I can't complain about that.

* last season didn't count as celtic weren't ready.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

What is the point of Paddy Bonnar? At the end of today's game he stated he had no idea how long Rogic and Bitton had been at Celtic nor how many appearances either had made. Before the game even I knew how many years as them leaving has being spouted across the media for days. Does he not even do any basic research on the only team he even has the faintest knowledge of? Embarassing.

Almost all of them do no research. Willie Miller used to boast about it.

No idea why such non-existent standards and professionalism are allowed/tolerated. Why do the BBC feel this is acceptable in any way?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

celtic have just won a historic 9.75* in a row, ofcourse they are going to cover it, even I can't complain about that.

* last season didn't count as celtic weren't ready.

I don't believe it was Celtic v Motherwell they were objecting to.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Almost all of them do no research. Willie Miller used to boast about it.

No idea why such non-existent standards and professionalism are allowed/tolerated. Why do the BBC feel this is acceptable in any way?

I'm sure a few weeks ago someone (Kenny Miller?) came out with something like "I'm not going to sit here and pretend I've read the rules, but for me that's a handball all day long". 

Incredible insight.

Just now, CoF said:

I'm sure a few weeks ago someone (Kenny Miller?) came out with something like "I'm not going to sit here and pretend I've read the rules, but for me that's a handball all day long". 

Incredible insight.

Aye, most of them have no idea about the rules. Very odd as the changes are usually only minimal and widely published. Takes about 5 minutes to catch up on the new ones each year.

I know the three games today are relentlessly pointless but is too much to ask for the half hour build up just to focus on the matches in hand instead of getting Martin O’Neill on the phone for yet more Celtic circlejerks?

Bemuses year on year when they act like Celtic winning the league is some kind of modern day miracle 

I know the three games today are relentlessly pointless but is too much to ask for the half hour build up just to focus on the matches in hand instead of getting Martin O’Neill on the phone for yet more Celtic circlejerks?
Bemuses year on year when they act like Celtic winning the league is some kind of modern day miracle 
Three games? I think you're forgetting an extremely important one.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Wullie Miller is a blight on the BBC.  He adds nothing, miserable attitude, poor knowledge of anything outside of Aberdeen.  The guy makes Paddy Bonnar look like a capable and professional broadcaster.  They both need to be jetisoned, pronto. 

Miller seems so out of place there. I get the "elder statesman" thing they have about him, let's be honest he does have a shit ton of experience and knowledge, but his delivery is either dour or misplaced, and he doesn't seem to really grasp that 'open all mics' is not a 'open all mics until Miller has a very minor point to interrupt whatever was being said". To be fair he has stopped sounding so fucking partisan, there was one game against us he was covering where when we scored he sounded meek and almost resigned to the fact, then Aberdeen scored and he sounded like they had just won the cup.

What I found annoying today, and this wasn't Miller's fault, he ended up being an accomplice to whoever it was that was anchoring. When it came to discuss the game it was all about Aberdeen, all about what they need, all about how they improve, etc, etc.. and not a single fucking word, or even an interview, with the opposition. That was shit, they just moved on once they were finished with Aberdeen.

23 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
23 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Three games? I think you're forgetting an extremely important one.

It seems that Sportsound has pretty much ignored the play-offs this season. From what I can gather, out of 20 play-off games so far, only 4 have received any sort of coverage in the form of reports when Sportsound was on-air anyway:

Inverness v Arbroath - reports (during live commentary of Dundee v Hibs)
Dunfermline v Queen's Park - reports (Saturday afternoon Open All Mics)
Edinburgh City v Annan Athletic - reports (during live commentary of Dundee v Hibs)
Cowdenbeath v Bonnyrigg Rose - reports (following live commentary of Celtic v Motherwell)

The Championship and League One finals both completely ignored, and only the second leg of the League Two final had a reporter. 

Obviously they will have live commentary from both legs of the Premiership play-off final, but that still makes it 6/22. 

Edited by The Master

23 minutes ago, The Master said:

It seems that Sportsound has pretty much ignored the play-offs this season. From what I can gather, out of 20 play-off games so far, only 4 have received any sort of coverage in the form of reports when Sportsound was on-air anyway:

Inverness v Arbroath - reports (during live commentary of Dundee v Hibs)
Dunfermline v Queen's Park - reports (Saturday afternoon Open All Mics)
Edinburgh City v Annan Athletic - reports (during live commentary of Dundee v Hibs)
Cowdenbeath v Bonnyrigg Rose - reports (following live commentary of Celtic v Motherwell)

The Championship and League One finals both completely ignored, and only the second leg of the League Two final had a reporter. 

Obviously they will have live commentary from both legs of the Premiership play-off final, but that still makes it 6/22. 

Chick Young was reporting from Queens v Airdrie yesterday.