Sportsound Watch

22 hours ago, resk said:

What is the "fish supper community"?  Do you mean people who eat fish suppers?  If you're going to roll out the tired old "he cannae fry fish!" patter, at least make it understandable.   

Miller is neither the best nor the worst pundit on the wireless.  He's also a bona fide Scottish fitba ledge, so have some fkin respect you c***s.  

Nah I’m talking about your failed businesses, Willie. 

I’m not sure why this annoyed me so much but it did:

McIntyre speaking about Ross McCrorie  and whether he is better in defence or midfield - he asks Willie Miller for his opinion. However he can’t possibly comment, as that is a question for Stephen Glass. You are a pundit - it is literally your job to analyse and comment you stupid fucking c**t! 

Half way through telling us about a goal at Dingwall without actually saying what team had scored ……. We need to go to Ibrox…. and cut away to that game. 10 seconds more would have been enough to impart the vital info on whether it was a County or St Mirren goal but no we had to got to Ibrox immediately. 
Shambles as per usual. 

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

He screamed that it was over, then said there was a red card, then had to get Michael Stewart, who I presume was watching on the telly, to actually explain what was happening.

To be fair to him the incident was miles off the ball. I thought it was full time as well.

Some of the newer people on open all mics need to up their game. Brian Reid didn’t really let us know what was happening at Tannadice yesterday, Yogi kept getting his timing all wrong when others were describing goals, Eilidh Davies doesn’t tell you any details about goals and some of the others only tell you about goals.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Some of the newer people on open all mics need to up their game. Brian Reid didn’t really let us know what was happening at Tannadice yesterday, Yogi kept getting his timing all wrong when others were describing goals, Eilidh Davies doesn’t tell you any details about goals and some of the others only tell you about goals.

There was a classic a couple of weeks ago.  United scored their first goal at Easter Road and I had tuned in ten minutes before so I hadn't figured out who was reporting from which match.  Paraphrasing a bit but it was approximately:

Guy at the ground - "Goal!  And it's the away side who open the scoring here.  Really nice play and they cut the defence apart.  It was a really easy finish for .... oh, I'm not sure actually who scored the goal..."

Presenter - "Okay, we'll have a look here in the studio so we can find out who scored"

Guy at the ground - "Thanks Kenny.  Yes it was a really good goal and they've deserved it because they have dominated this game.  There's a really good away support here today and they are delighted.  And you can sense the frustration from the home fans now."

Approximately two minutes after the goal being announced, I still had no idea which game it was in, which team had scored, and which player.  It's like they expect everyone listening to 1) listen for the entirety of the broadcast, 2) recognise all voices of all their reporters, 3) know who "Fergie" or "Biscuits" is and who is likely to be at a game in Lanarkshire / Edinburgh or wherever and 4) in some cases figure out from the background noise which ground the person is at.  

They should announce which team scored, against which team and what the scoreline is.  Then expand on it with details of the play and who scored and how the half time pie was or whatever.  

I actually really like listening to OAM and the format is a solid idea, but stuff like this really annoys sometimes.  

Edited by resk

On 24/10/2021 at 12:45, resk said:

There was a classic a couple of weeks ago.  United scored their first goal at Easter Road and I had tuned in ten minutes before so I hadn't figured out who was reporting from which match.  Paraphrasing a bit but it was approximately:

Guy at the ground - "Goal!  And it's the away side who open the scoring here.  Really nice play and they cut the defence apart.  It was a really easy finish for .... oh, I'm not sure actually who scored the goal..."

Presenter - "Okay, we'll have a look here in the studio so we can find out who scored"

Guy at the ground - "Thanks Kenny.  Yes it was a really good goal and they've deserved it because they have dominated this game.  There's a really good away support here today and they are delighted.  And you can sense the frustration from the home fans now."

Approximately two minutes after the goal being announced, I still had no idea which game it was in, which team had scored, and which player.  It's like they expect everyone listening to 1) listen for the entirety of the broadcast, 2) recognise all voices of all their reporters, 3) know who "Fergie" or "Biscuits" is and who is likely to be at a game in Lanarkshire / Edinburgh or wherever and 4) in some cases figure out from the background noise which ground the person is at.  

They should announce which team scored, against which team and what the scoreline is.  Then expand on it with details of the play and who scored and how the half time pie was or whatever.  

I actually really like listening to OAM and the format is a solid idea, but stuff like this really annoys sometimes.  

A thousand times this.

I find it genuinely incredible that there's not apparently any training that requires them to introduce the match and the score for each intervention.

The format is a good enough idea, but it does demand some basic communicative skill that is so often lacking.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A thousand times this.

I find it genuinely incredible that there's not apparently any training that requires them to introduce the match and the score for each intervention.

The format is a good enough idea, but it does demand some basic communicative skill that is so often lacking.

You seem to be describing a wish for some sort of Soviet era perfunctory broadcast.

I find some fun in the brief moment following the "goal" acclamation and in second guessing who has gained.

There are generally clues such as crowd noise and the inflection in the correspondent's voice but until the scoring team is confirmed, there is a tension that would be lost with a dry and immediate announcement.