Sportsound Watch

On 26/09/2021 at 09:55, Lord Snooty said:

Let's face it. The whole show is amateurish apart from one or two individuals. I suspect the BBC don't pay these pundits very much. Beer money.

It's  about perception. I'd  probably think it was decent and do a bit of homework in my own time so that I don't  come accross as an out of touch buffoon.

The incumbents don't  seem to share that view.

On 29/09/2021 at 11:44, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's  about perception. I'd  probably think it was decent and do a bit of homework in my own time so that I don't  come accross as an out of touch buffoon.

The incumbents don't  seem to share that view.

They dont do any research at all because a) thay don't give a f**k and b) they get away with it because everyone thinks it funny when Miller or Bonnar get a name wrong.

It's a shame, as the format and at least half of the folk on things like open all Mics are great, but the same only votes keep getting the gig.

It's been said above te Bonnar, but why DOES he always get Celtic games? I could get the logic of being the ex player and all that if either he was recently playing with them or had loads of contacts still inside the club, but he has neither. Nor is he any good at just calling the games.

Imagine for a moment the reaction down south if say Alan Shearer could only discuss Newcastle on MOTD or Peter Shilton was wheeled out every week, but got away with not getting any players names right and had zero knowledge of the other teams? Folk would be going mental. Fair enough if you are at something like Radio Leeds and covering Leeds United, but nationwide?

While I'm at it, what's the deal with the flavour of the month ancient OF players? Where the he'll did Hateley suddenly appear from? What does he know about Scottish football either post his time or even his sons? Likewise when the trot our Petrov or some other random for a few weeks at a time.

Waiting with bated breath for Sportsound calling on Jerren Nixon to give his thoughts on Ross County and Livi or Gunni Torfasson to enlighten us on what Motherwell should be playing at the back! 

They believe the market they are catering to still has respect for the achievements of Miller etc will therefore respect thrir current views. They lag behind the changing demographic. Even when they try to get anyone younger the bosses get the wrong people.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They believe the market they are catering to still has respect for the achievements of Miller etc will therefore respect thrir current views. They lag behind the changing demographic. Even when they try to get anyone younger the bosses get the wrong people.

Loy, Stewart and McCann are all decent, and McFadden is inoffensive. Iwelumo is obviously good too.

So to be fair, the recent introductions have been ok to vg. Who have the duds been? Adam for sure. Mark Wilson didn't last long.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Loy, Stewart and McCann are all decent, and McFadden is inoffensive. Iwelumo is obviously good too.

So to be fair, the recent introductions have been ok to vg. Who have the duds been? Adam for sure. Mark Wilson didn't last long.

You're probably right. I just have the impression change is very slow and hit and miss when they get pundits in based on who  they think will be popular. eg John Hughes

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're probably right. I just have the impression change is very slow and hit and miss when they get pundits in based on who  they think will be popular. eg John Hughes

Ach, Hughes havers away but is funny to listen to if you don't take him seriously. The continued presence of Miller, Preston, Bonner and Young though, is mind-boggling.

No serious producer can listen to their output and consider it insightful or even entertaining.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Ach, Hughes havers away but is funny to listen to if you don't take him seriously. The continued presence of Miller, Preston, Bonner and Young though, is mind-boggling.

No serious producer can listen to their output and consider it insightful or even entertaining.

Maybe that's it, that the long standing, dominant mob overshadows any decent ones.

I know Pat Bonnar doesn't give a shit about anything outside of the Old Firm but is he illiterate on top of that? He's got a team sheet & yet at no point have I heard him give Ross County's keeper a name. Everytime it's just "the young keeper". Thick as shit.

25 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I know Pat Bonnar doesn't give a shit about anything outside of the Old Firm but is he illiterate on top of that? He's got a team sheet & yet at no point have I heard him give Ross County's keeper a name. Everytime it's just "the young keeper". Thick as shit.

I liked at the start of the game he said "County playing from right to left as we look at it from up here in the Main St... err, the Stand."

c**t's not got a clue where he is or what he's doing.

On 01/10/2021 at 15:04, Sergeant Wilson said:

Maybe that's it, that the long standing, dominant mob overshadows any decent ones.

I heard that Craig Paterson (ok, wasnt everyones cup of tea) left because he thought the OAM "everyone scream like a wee lassie" format was taking it in the wrong direction.

Cant say I disagree.

2 hours ago, forkboy said:

I know Pat Bonnar doesn't give a shit about anything outside of the Old Firm but is he illiterate on top of that? 

When accusing someone of being illiterate, it works better when you spell their name correctly.

Being used to suffering Jane Lewis umm, ehh and waffle on for an age when on, it was nice to hear Heather Dewer do none of the above when speaking to Jim Goodwin after St Mirren’s win. Others should also take some note of this approach.
Have heard her a few times covering games lower down in the leagues and she seems to be one of the few who does her job properly by knowing what’s she’s talking about and doing research on teams.

5 hours ago, iceblink said:

When accusing someone of being illiterate, it works better when you spell their name correctly.

Oh no, I can't remember how to spell the name of some rent-a-gob whose name I never see written down, however will I cope with the shame?

13 hours ago, forkboy said:

Oh no, I can't remember how to spell the name of some rent-a-gob whose name I never see written down, however will I cope with the shame?

Bonner...Bonnar...who cares ! Either way he's an Old Firm obsessed moron who should be nowhere near a supposed 'national' broadcaster.