Sportsound Watch

UEFA have achieved the impossible: getting Pat Bonner to watch a game that doesn't involve Celtic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/long-ball-tactic-cost-england-euro-2020-final-says-uefa-report-dtqnnp8g2

"When you use wing backs, you need to play out from the back and have a good share of possession,” said the technical panel member Packie Bonner, the former Ireland goalkeeper. “When England started to give away possession they started to lose control of the game."

26 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That's tremendous insight to be fair. Who knew that not keeping possession led to teams losing control of the game. I can see a few teams and coaches looking at that and trying to move to a more possession based style. Surprised nobody has thought of it before.

Send the technical panel to Fir Park.

25% possession and we completely bossed Aberdeen

9 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Media have a part to play too. Call it out in air. Cut the TV feed. Do whatever to sort it out. From Rangers and Celtics perspective. 

You're right in what you're saying, but we're a million miles away from the clubs themselves taking action due to a media spotlight.

Even if we leave aside media reluctance to actually wrestle with the issue, remember why the BBC don't currently have full access to Ibrox.

Strict liability is the only sensible way forward, as the clubs are not prepared to tackle this meaningfully by themselves.

On 14/09/2021 at 21:04, Monkey Tennis said:

You're right in what you're saying, but we're a million miles away from the clubs themselves taking action due to a media spotlight.

Even if we leave aside media reluctance to actually wrestle with the issue, remember why the BBC don't currently have full access to Ibrox.

Strict liability is the only sensible way forward, as the clubs are not prepared to tackle this meaningfully by themselves.

It all depends on who the media is. For example, if Sky decided that sectarian chanting was akin to racist chanting, they would put pressure on Rangers and Celtic and action would have to be taken. Likewise BT and Uefa.

If either of them could see beyond the short term, they would see this is harming their brand and therefore revenues.

On the BBC, like the Cinch money, if Rangers had a credible bone in their body, they would either hand any share of sponsorship cash back or make a point of donating it to charity. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

If either of them could see beyond the short term, they would see this is harming their brand and therefore revenues.

Sadly, I don't think this is right at all.

I think the clubs are fearful that really tackling it would be harmful to revenues.  I'm not convinced that they're mistaken.

7 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

they would see this is harming their brand and therefore revenues.

Rangers plc brought out orange strips to increase their revenue. They encourage this shite.

Just listened to Mondays show, yes very embarrassing. Reminded me of South Africa apartheid pointing the finger at the racist language used in France. Brass neck.     

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

A Place in the Sun (I think) presenter, having a meltdown and trying to argue with Michael Stewart on Twitter is utterly bizarre.

Worst bit was them quote tweeting the argument, so you've to wade through hundreds of Rangers fans butting in to waffle the usual shite just to see the next part of it.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Had the misfortune of hearing some of this today.

Utter drivel. Out of touch dinosaurs.

Had to laugh at Crichton getting animated and saying we were "miles behind" in terms of the food clubs serve at games. Really focussing on the priority issue there.

12 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Had to laugh at Crichton getting animated and saying we were "miles behind" in terms of the food clubs serve at games. Really focussing on the priority issue there.

Perceptive I thought, a severe lack of pakora at most grounds 

Assuming the schedule stays the same, it seems the BBC are continuing to make a stand against "Rangers" banning their journalists by choosing to do live off-tube commentary of their game on Wednesday instead of actually being at Dens for Dundee v St Johnstone.