Sportsound Watch

26 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McInnes' early record wasn't as good as Glass'.

McInnes' first 17 games: W7 D6 L4

Glass' first 17 games: W6 D4 L7

And that isn't even taking into account that McInnes inherited a shambles that had been scrambling around the bottom half for a few years while Glass inherited the fourth best team in the country with an enormous budget to reflect it.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McInnes' first 17 games: W7 D6 L4

Glass' first 17 games: W6 D4 L7

And that isn't even taking into account that McInnes inherited a shambles that had been scrambling around the bottom half for a few years while Glass inherited the fourth best team in the country with an enormous budget to reflect it.

McInnes started his reign playing teams in the bottom half. Then started the new season with 6 points from 12. Had a full pre season playing friendlies before the league season began. Without a pandemic or European football to contend with.

Glass inherited a shambles of a squad that was expensively assembled. 

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McInnes started his reign playing teams in the bottom half. Then started the new season with 6 points from 12. Had a full pre season playing friendlies before the league season began. Without a pandemic or European football to contend with.

Not sure if the squad can be accurately described as a "shambles" given they finished fourth.

The fact Glass had European football to contend with would suggest they did at least OK. He's also had more time to work with the players than McInnes did and has been given plenty of financial backing to sign players despite previous expense. I don't imagine Scott Brown is on a pittance.

I'd have thought it was pretty widely accepted McInnes turned Aberdeen around and at least did a decent job in his first years before it all petered out. 

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Not sure if the squad can be accurately described as a "shambles" given they finished fourth.

The fact Glass had European football to contend with would suggest they did at least OK. He's also had more time to work with the players than McInnes did and has been given plenty of financial backing to sign players despite previous expense. I don't imagine Scott Brown is on a pittance.

I'd have thought it was pretty widely accepted McInnes turned Aberdeen around and at least did a decent job in his first years before it all petered out. 

McInnes has nothing to complain about money wise wasted over £1million on May, Forrester, Wilson, and was pocketing over £17 grand a week

Just now, Willie adie said:

McInnes has nothing to complain about money wise wasted over £1million on May, Forrester, Wilson, and was pocketing over £17 grand a week

I'm sure he didn't but they all arrived long after his first season, which is what's being compared.

10 minutes ago, Darren said:

Did you see our results prior to Glass coming in?!

How did Glass have more time to work with his players? Glass was appointed 23/3/21 but had to quarantine before finally getting in to see the players 13/4/21. McInnes was appointed 25/3/13. Said he didn't want to take the game against Dundee United (we lost, ending top 6 hopes) and then won once and drew four against the other bottom 6 teams. He then made a few expensive signings (Robson and Flood) whilst keeping the majority of that team as there was some decent players there.

He did a more than decent job but his start isn't any better than Glass given the circumstance.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He did a more than decent job but his start isn't any better than Glass given the circumstance.

This seems a more reasonable stance.

I'd mistakenly thought McInnes came in during pre-season for some reason, mea culpa.

Obviously results were crap before Glass came in, they would have been before McInnes started as well. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Your first 4 games have been against teams who will finish in the bottom 6 except possibly Hearts. 

Tedious mcinnes comparisons aside, I thought the whole tone of the sportsound debate was very odd. You’d think we’d had an absolutely disastrous start the way they were talking. 

Raith was clearly a disaster but Europe and the league have been reasonable starts. 

• 2 weeks later...

In yesterday’s valuable 30 minute post match discussion on Celtic’s corporate structure, did Willie Miller understand that a CEO and a Director of Football are different roles.  Call it what you want he claimed.

I was back in Stirling before there was a little bit of coverage of the Motherwell game.

A pal of mine went viral (ish) for making a similar point yesterday. Hard not to see why the likes of The Terrace and other fan made podcasts have become increasingly successful given Sportsounds pitiful coverage of anyone outside of Rangers and Celtic. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've listened to it in the last 5 years.