Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Fratelli said:

Not even sure what point he's trying to make.

If he's talking about 60 years ago I suppose in a really cack handed way he might be saying Scotland was essentially white and whilst people held racists views it wouldn't have had the same societal impact.

He might just be stupid though

Other than the nonsense racism chat, the rest of it was just drivel too. 

A section on ‘manager spats’ which was a nothing, a section on how managers should deal with speculation and a section on the cinch dispute that turned into a ridiculous argument over semantics and whether the SFA should be embarrassed. 

You wouldn’t think we’d just come off a pretty good weekend of, we’ll, Scottish football. 

Last week I listened to the terrace and sportsound after raith knocked us out. Both had a go at us and a wee laugh and fair enough, that’s embarrassing for us. But one show had clearly watched and we’re able to comment on the game and the other clearly hadnt even watched it and just descended into ‘what do Aberdeen fans expect..?’ For some reason. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

If he's talking about 60 years ago I suppose in a really cack handed way he might be saying Scotland was essentially white and whilst people held racists views it wouldn't have had the same societal impact.

He might just be stupid though

There is a point to be made that right wing bigots have been given the confidence to voice those opinions in public due to our national broadcasters giving far too much voice to marginal opinions, coupled with a neo Nazi war monger in the White House for the last four years.  But 1. That would require a heck of a lot of soul searching and self reflection and 2.  Old Hugh is a drivelling simpleton who probably espouses many of those right wing views.

The Keevins stuff was embarrassing. Cack-handed is exactly the phrase. He sounded like he didn’t have any idea what point he was wanting to get across, but felt that he had to say something and say it with confidence. Something about people of a certain demographic that not only feel a compulsion to open their mouth and let their belly rumble, but also the compulsion to double down on their ill thought out opinions if they have the temerity to be challenged. 

I don’t even think he knew what point he was trying to get across, but when someone says discrimination is no longer prevalent  and their evidence is that job adverts no longer say R/Cs need not apply, it demonstrates such a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues at play. 

The guy was there 60 years ago. Cool. But none of what he said was anywhere near a coherent argument for or against anything! It’s frankly dangerous to have him broadcasting to half the country, legitimising these half-views across similar guys. It made me furious listening to it frankly. 

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Charlie Adam saw a new player coming into Scotland be racially abused and thought “How can I make this about me?”. Twat.

Make it about anyone other than Rangers more like.  His "old firm" comments (i.e. Rangers based) are embarassing.  Racism from Rangers fans? lets talk about something else.

And Sportsound just sits there and let's these people ramble on and on as if they are putting out some balanced, intelligent summary. As a Dee fan I wish to f**k he would shut up. 

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

A section on ‘manager spats’ which was a nothing, a section on how managers should deal with speculation and a section on the cinch dispute that turned into a ridiculous argument over semantics and whether the SFA should be embarrassed. 

You wouldn’t think we’d just come off a pretty good weekend of, we’ll, Scottish football. 

Last week I listened to the terrace and sportsound after raith knocked us out. Both had a go at us and a wee laugh and fair enough, that’s embarrassing for us. But one show had clearly watched and we’re able to comment on the game and the other clearly hadnt even watched it and just descended into ‘what do Aberdeen fans expect..?’ For some reason. 

The bit on arbitration last night was dreadful. Nobody learned anything at all. It might have been nice to know how the process works, who is an interested party and who might not be and what the reasons for exclusion or inclusion would be.  But just Tom English yelling at Daryl Broadfoot about who won and lost was embarrassing. 

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Mind when they had Maurice Ross on not long after he had to quit his job for making a racist comment?

100% convinced his agent called in a favour to get him on. Astonished that the BBC provided a national broadcast platform for a racist to justify themselves and to attempt an apology.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Midweek after the St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Rangers & Celtic European game they somehow managed to get into the that chat about they're a bigger club because traditionally they've got bigger crowds waffle . Total irrelevant debate with absolutely nothing to do with the games that night. Talk about the results and the games ffs 🤦‍♂️

Used to listen daily out walking the dog etc. Actively avoid now. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Guest TheJTS98
6 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Something about people of a certain demographic that not only feel a compulsion to open their mouth and let their belly rumble, but also the compulsion to double down on their ill thought out opinions if they have the temerity to be challenged.

Keevins has spent decades with a platform to write and talk about Scottish football to an audience of people with a, mainly, very narrow interest in the game in Scotland. He's never had to know anything about any club outside Celtic and Rangers because his audience don't and they don't care if he does either. So, he's just been free to rumble on about the same topics for decades and have people assume he knows what he's talking about.

It's been many years since I listened to Clyde, but I used to find it genuinely funny how people would call up and ask him football questions about things like tactics and team selection as if he has any more of an idea what he's talking about than they do.

He's an old-type football beat journalist. He has contacts and can fire out the odd half-arsed 'exclusive', but he knows no more about the game than your average geezer in the pub.

What we heard the other night, and the certainty with which he delivered it, is just the result of decades spent being able to spout absolute nonsense to an audience that, incredibly, assume he has some kind of expertise. He thinks he's a wise old head. In a way it's understandable.

8 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The bit on arbitration last night was dreadful. Nobody learned anything at all. It might have been nice to know how the process works, who is an interested party and who might not be and what the reasons for exclusion or inclusion would be.  But just Tom English yelling at Daryl Broadfoot about who won and lost was embarrassing. 

Exactly, and it’s all contrived isn’t it?

I can just picture them meeting and discussing topics for the evening and just dismissing the notion of actually talking about an issue. Even the racism issue just became a clickbait mission about tavernier relocating scott brown. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Exactly, and it’s all contrived isn’t it?

I can just picture them meeting and discussing topics for the evening and just dismissing the notion of actually talking about an issue. Even the racism issue just became a clickbait mission about tavernier relocating scott brown. 

The thing is Tom English isn't an idiot and while Broadfoot is a wee gnaff he does (do) work for the SFA and probably had an insight into what was happening. So we could have learned stuff. Instead it was all about how "vehemently" the SFA's lawyers argued their case and lost. As if you pay lawyers to argue your case in a half-arsed manner.

Also, and I realise it's all a bit messy and water under the bridge now but remember when Scott Brown was urged to show solidarity with Shay Logan?