Sportsound Watch

When we (Dumbarton) had our brief time in the championship, Derek Ferguson was the only pundit who came to the Rock and didn't come across like he'd been served a shit sandwich when he got there.

As said before, he seems to relish being paid to report/analyse football, rather than acting like football is lucky that he's there.

4 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

I lost all respect for Derek Ferguson when he argued that Rangers released orange strips to “celebrate the famous Dutch players they hud” and was adamant it had no bearing on sectarianism in the game. 

He also claimed that singing certain songs was fine because it was a different time. 

22 hours ago, The Master said:

There is a genuine argument to made about clubs that should be at a higher level because of the resources at their disposal. 

But the way it's discussed in this country it always boils down to pundits believing certain clubs have a God-given right to be in a higher league. 

It is just a progression from discussing the Uglies !

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Great player, legend on the field in his day, obviously. Sadly he's long been a shite, lazy pundit who tells the nation almost every week on OAM that he is cold/bored/wants to go home/is glad the game is finished.  His tone of voice is so depressing that it casts a pall over whatever game he is at.

I don't actually mind him on Scotland match nights, in the build up etc., in a kind of "view from the rocking chair" way, from a man who has achieved great things and rocked up at World Cup Finals in the very distant past, and is now raising an elderly eyebrow at our leaky defence.  But, week to week in the league?  Nope. 

Let your spree commence.

He has slagged off S##n#ss though !

Respect !

1 hour ago, David W said:

He also claimed that singing certain songs was fine because it was a different time. 

1 hour ago, St. Jude said:

I lost all respect for Derek Ferguson when he argued that Rangers released orange strips to “celebrate the famous Dutch players they hud” and was adamant it had no bearing on sectarianism in the game. 

We've been whinging about decent guys being crappy pundits for the last few pages (and then some). Here we have a pundit with dubious views but is genuinely good at what he's being paid to do. I came to like him when he did the lower tiers match reporting before 'promotion' to the big boys division. Knew his stuff, knew the players and a refreshing change from the Chicks of this world. Just what most P&Bers have been saying that they want from  OAM.  Don't need to respect him to appreciate what he brings to the BBC reporting.

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I actually think the standout is Derek Ferguson. He falls over his words a lot, but he's the one who most regularly provides some actual insight into what is happening tactically and gives you wee nuggets about what teams could do to change a game or why a game has changed. His general opinions on football can be a bit rubbish, but his actual analysis of what's happening is good. He was a smashing player who should have done more with his career, and he applies what he knows quite well to analysing games.

I’m sure it was Ferguson (although I’m happy to be corrected if anyone knows better) but I remember hearing one of the presenters/broadcasters talking about a game where they weren’t sure exactly how a team would line up due to the inclusion of a player who could play in about 4 different positions. Ferguson watched them warming up then correctly surmised that they would be playing at centre half because as part of their warm up they spent a few minutes practicing heading high balls. I just remember thinking at the time that summed up quite nicely what an ex pro (even one who most folk agree may not be the most eloquent when it comes to expressing themselves) can bring to proceedings. 

8 hours ago, House Bartender said:

We've been whinging about decent guys being crappy pundits for the last few pages (and then some). Here we have a pundit with dubious views but is genuinely good at what he's being paid to do. I came to like him when he did the lower tiers match reporting before 'promotion' to the big boys division. Knew his stuff, knew the players and a refreshing change from the Chicks of this world. Just what most P&Bers have been saying that they want from  OAM.  Don't need to respect him to appreciate what he brings to the BBC reporting.

Sorry but the national broadcaster should be able to hire good football analysts that don’t  think it was ok to sing they’re up to their knees because that’s just what fans did back in the day. It really doesn’t need to be one or the other.

Edited by St. Jude

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm on the "Derek Ferguson is decent" train as well. He struggles a bit from time to time, but he generally gets his point, and more importantly the actual facts of the game, across relatively coherently, and definitely has the "I'm getting paid to watch football, fucking brilliant" enthusiasm of a proper fan. I've mentioned before, and I may be well off, but he always struggles with his HT and FT reports,  I always wondered if he was dyslexic and struggled to read back what he has prepared (or had prepared for him).

It seems to me like he has decided to remove his accent for the summaries which is making it difficult for him to read out. Assuming people have slagged him off about the accent before.

50 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Sorry but the national broadcaster should be able to hire good football analysts that don’t  think it was ok to sing they’re up to their knees because that’s just what fans did back in the day. It really doesn’t need to be one or the other.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good or maybe not so good argument.

I invite you to click the link. If you choose not to, I'd simply point out that D Ferguson literally works for show racism the red card. 

On 24/08/2019 at 19:00, sophia said:

I also enjoy the inherent enthusiasm of Derek Ferguson but the contributions from him and Billy Dods literally stopped me in my tracks.

How two grown men can refuse to acknowledge the bleeding obvious left me questioning their motives.

I surmised that both, on pain of being cast out by folk that I'd not care to think about, passed on the chance to be truthful.

Truly saddening.

49 minutes ago, sophia said:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good or maybe not so good argument.

I invite you to click the link. If you choose not to, I'd simply point out that D Ferguson literally works for show racism the red card. 

I had a look back on this thread to see the reaction from when that exchange was aired. It starts on page 458, you yourself thought at the time that Ferguson lied about the connotations of the orange strip so as not to be cast out by the Rangers support.

So I’m glad that you agree that he’s a liar and an apologist.

In any other job there are reviews. How are you getting on? Strengths? Weaknesses? Training required? However being a pundit appears to be exempt from job reviews.
Paddy Bonnar hardly even knows which town/city the opposition is from never mind any of their players and has been getting away with it for years. Is no-one responsible for them?

1 minute ago, St. Jude said:

I had a look back on this thread to see the reaction from when that exchange was aired. It starts on page 458, you yourself thought at the time that Ferguson lied about the connotations of the orange strip so as not to be cast out by the Rangers support.

How do you know that they weren't taking an editorial stance for the sake of the debate?

Whatever the merits of otherwise of that single event, are you advocating for someone that is accepted as entertaining and informative to be cancelled?

11 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Whilst his comments re orange strips etc were poor (although not convinced he isn't naive enough to genuinely believe that), surely you can take a step back, have a look at all the work he does to tackle racism etc and forgive something he said that you didn't like on Sportsound?

I'm not sure how anyone could listen to him regularly and conclude he was some sort of closet bigot.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whilst his comments re orange strips etc were poor (although not convinced he isn't naive enough to genuinely believe that), surely you can take a step back, have a look at all the work he does to tackle racism etc and forgive something he said that you didn't like on Sportsound?

I'm not sure how anyone could listen to him regularly and conclude he was some sort of closet bigot.

This. 

Been said plenty but I enjoy Ferguson’s input - seems genuinely keen to attend the games and has a very good knowledge of players throughout all of our leagues. It should be the baseline really, but it isn’t - most don’t have a clue. I like Kenny Crawford too. 

6 hours ago, sophia said:

How do you know that they weren't taking an editorial stance for the sake of the debate?

Whatever the merits of otherwise of that single event, are you advocating for someone that is accepted as entertaining and informative to be cancelled?

He took the stance because it suits him to lie rather than call the club out. I expect that the national broadcaster should be able to hire pundits that are able to analyse football and look objectively at controversial issues and discuss them rather that lying to suit their own agenda. 

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn't call him a bigot. That exchange to me showed he didn't want to call out Rangers carrying out an act that only adds fuel to an issue that has plagued Scotland for centuries. I expect all Scottish football pundits to be able to objectively discuss this issue and not make up nonsense so as to not get on the wrong side of the club.