Sportsound Watch

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Willie Miller thinks it’s all to do with the calendar

Earlier on he believed that a punishment shouldn’t be applied if clubs have an appeal avenue available to them.

Since all punishments are set aside during an appeal anyway, I’m not entirely sure what point he was trying to make. 

Edited by The Master

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Earlier on he believed that a punishment shouldn’t be applied if clubs have an appeal avenue available to them.

Since all punishments are set aside during an appeal anyway, I’m not entirely sure what point he was trying to make. 

I actually agree with that (I didn’t hear him so it may not have been the same point) but we should not have been officially given any points until the process was finished including appeals.  If we are given them then great for us, if we are not then we have games in hand that we have been prevented from playing for months.

52 minutes ago, The Master said:

It was the immediate application of the points to Motherwell/Hamilton that he was referring to, rather than them to be applied after any appeals process had taken place. On that point I actually agree with him. Trust me it's rare I agree with Miller.

Talking of Miller, his overly biased commentary (him, along with Bonner) is utterly frustrating. I had Sportsound on in the background, and when St Johnstone scored he sounded pained having to deliver the news, yet when Aberdeen score he's literally shouting in rapture about it, the "oh, yes... " prefix showing his explicit bias. He is so doddery that he missed a sending off, a fucking sending off! How do you, if you are paid to do a job, manage to totally ignore someone being sent off? Missed a tackle? Sure. Calling an incorrect scorer? Again, can happen. Literally not paying attention and missing not only the foul but the referee showing the card and the player then traipsing off the park is quite incredible.

I get that he has decades of experience, both player and manager, but that doesn't automatically mean his is in any way a good pundit, and let's be clear here... he's not.

Edited by Ric

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

It was the immediate application of the points to Motherwell/Hamilton that he was referring to, rather than them to be applied after any appeals process had taken place. On that point I actually agree with him. Trust me it's rare I agree with Miller.

Talking of Miller, his overly biased commentary (him, along with Bonner) is utterly frustrating. I had Sportsound on in the background, and when St Johnstone scored he sounded pained having to deliver the news, yet when Aberdeen score he's literally shouting in rapture about it, the "oh, yes... " prefix showing his explicit bias. He is so doddery that he missed a sending off, a fucking sending off! How do you, if you are paid to do a job, manage to totally ignore someone being sent off? Missed a tackle? Sure. Calling an incorrect scorer? Again, can happen. Literally not paying attention and missing not only the foul but the referee showing the card and the player then traipsing off the park is quite incredible.

I get that he has decades of experience, both player and manager, but that doesn't automatically mean his is in any way a good pundit, and let's be clear here... he's not.

I'm sorry but you obviously missed the ongoing joke between Willie Miller and Richard Gordon which was founded upon the former allegedly falling asleep recently. Willie was playing with that.

However, the fact that Miller has largely been blessed with knowledge and expertise that is applied to a single geographical sporting construct is something that I don't think can reasonably be denied.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm sorry but you obviously missed the ongoing joke between Willie Miller and Richard Gordon which was founded upon the former allegedly falling asleep recently. Willie was playing with that.

Oh, I caught the gist of it, however Miller genuinely didn't report the incident and it wasn't as part of a joke as he made the excuse he was busy preparing his after match report not that he had somehow fallen asleep.

Considering Miller is paid to do a job, one might suggest he actually does that job and does it in a professional manner. Something that seems to be lacking from someone who regularly complains about other professionals not acting such.

Oh, I caught the gist of it, however Miller genuinely didn't report the incident and it wasn't as part of a joke as he made the excuse he was busy preparing his after match report not that he had somehow fallen asleep.
Considering Miller is paid to do a job, one might suggest he actually does that job and does it in a professional manner. Something that seems to be lacking from someone who regularly complains about other professionals not acting such.

How do you know he’s paid to do a job?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I actually agree with that (I didn’t hear him so it may not have been the same point) but we should not have been officially given any points until the process was finished including appeals.  If we are given them then great for us, if we are not then we have games in hand that we have been prevented from playing for months.

What’s happened now due to the shambolic way the whole situation has been handled by the SPFL, is that instead of only having the 2 teams that were punished by the forfeiture getting their backs up, they’ve managed to now get the 2 teams that benefitted from the forfeitures upset. There’s absolutely no defending the SPFL here, anyone with any sort of foresight would have seen this full situation panning out exactly as it has. It’s just sheer incompetence. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

His record in business suggests he has the ability to negotiate that sort of deal.

Was it Willie Miller who couldn’t manage to keep a chip shop in business? That’s actually quite a feat to do that in Scotland tbf. 

37 minutes ago, starryfish said:

How do you know he’s paid to do a job?

I think it's a reasonable assumption.  Or do you think Miller, or any of the other reporters / contributors on Sportsound for that matter, are doing it for free?!  

Just now, resk said:

I think it's a reasonable assumption.  Or do you think Miller, or any of the other reporters / contributors on Sportsound for that matter, are doing it for free?!  

If Pat Bonner works for free then he’s getting paid too much. 

Anyone listening right now - Gordon McQueen talking about his greatest xi - is he ill?  He sounds terrible.......never used to sound like this  Was looking forward to hearing the best players he played with but it is unbearable to listen.  Hope he is ok

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

Anyone listening right now - Gordon McQueen talking about his greatest xi - is he ill?  He sounds terrible.......never used to sound like this  Was looking forward to hearing the best players he played with but it is unbearable to listen.  Hope he is ok

Yep - doesn't sound good at all - hope he's ok. :(