Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

Rubbish. How is it snidey? Of course its a political decision.

They have pointed out the hypocrisy of having indoor venues like bingo/cinemas/shopping centres etc heaving with people whilst claiming outdoor stadiums with social distancing and masks is unsafe.

This is the same government who had pubs open for months with people packed in whilst saying gyms for example werent safe.

Or the same government who locked down Aberdeen whilst letting Glasgow stay open with much much higher rates.

They are correct to point out these errors and strange political moves!

so what is the political tactic that informs this? 

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

so what is the political tactic that informs this? 

In the case of not locking down Glasgow despite them having much worse rates than Aberdeen they were keeping their main voter base on side. Political not clinically based decisions.

Keeping pubs open as look as they did much the same! 

You explain to me , how is allowing mass numbers of people in indoor environments and denying controlled outdoor events backed by epidemiologists as safe (plus no test events producing even 1 covid case)  based on clinical judgements? 

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

In the case of not locking down Glasgow despite them having much worse rates than Aberdeen they were keeping their main voter base on side. Political not clinically based decisions.

Keeping pubs open as look as they did much the same! 

You explain to me , how is allowing mass numbers of people in indoor environments and denying controlled outdoor events backed by epidemiologists as safe (plus no test events producing even 1 covid case)  based on clinical judgements? 

Glasgow is currently in Tier 4 and Aberdeen is what, Tier/level 2? so only considering core voter base at certain points then? 

Am also not quite sure where these mass indoor gatherings have taken place and If they did take in place in contrast to outdoor events, how that is also a political assessment. 

2 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Rubbish. How is it snidey? Of course its a political decision.

We've been through this before in this thread. It's a political decision in the sense that every decision has to balance the 'four harms'. It's in the Government's framework, free for anyone to read. 

Many decisions will  balance health and economy risks. Shopping centres are open because, on balance, the Government feels that the economic risk of keeping shops open outweighs the health risk, if appropriate precautions are taken. Pubs were open this summer under the same criteria, until the risk to health, in their view, surpassed the economic risk.

That's the way every government is trying to work at the moment. Views may be different in other countries, but I'd love to hear you explain how you think the four harms approach works in the case of letting a few hundred fans in at Aberdeen. You might say the risk is low, but where are the economic benefits to the club? They're non-existent.

Your argument about Glasgow and Aberdeen might have sounded plausible six months ago. It just makes you sound dogmatic now.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Ladbrokes announced publicly in August 2019 they were withdrawing from football sponsorship. It is now Almost December 2020, There is holding out and there is negligence. It is like a club knocking back Joe Bloggs local plumber because McDonalds or Amazon might want to broker a deal. The best case is they brokered a deal with the Scottish Government again for sponsorship in the current climate but hes made sure that won't happen. 
He was an embarrassment today, he made the same arguments that were debunked after he made them last month, he obviously didn't listen to Jason Leitch on off the ball an hour before because he explained all the reasons behind the things Doncaster was complaining about, yet said them anyway because it was all he had. 
It was like someone calling up James O'Brien's phone in to talk about immigration, he just kept going despite obviously having the piss ripped out of him.  
They could broker a deal with the Scottish Government and call it something like the Stay At Home SPFL.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

Glasgow is currently in Tier 4 and Aberdeen is what, Tier/level 2? so only considering core voter base at certain points then? 

Am also not quite sure where these mass indoor gatherings have taken place and If they did take in place in contrast to outdoor events, how that is also a political assessment. 

I have this dingaling on ignore so just see his quoted posts.

I think he was suggesting that when pubs were open they were "mass gatherings" - I suspect he was talking about the well publicised fuckups that happened - ironically - in Aberdeen with Soul bar or whatever its called which the Aberdeen players were caught up in.

I agree with you though, how he can suggest the govt are pandering to the central belt when pubs in Edinburgh and Glasgow have been shut for weeks is beyond me..........................

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think attacking Doncaster on commercial income is a very good idea, given that this season will likely have the biggest prize pot in the history of Scottish football given the record TV deal this season. The headline sponsor deal with Ladbrokes was around £2m a year, which is barely a drop in the ocean compared to TV money (or gate revenue when we can get it). Obviously, even with the provisionally agreed deal falling through due to covid, they've had plenty of time to sort something out by now. They've obviously got to toe a fine line between settling on a cheaper deal which potentially undercuts the value of the product, or holding out in the hope that someone eventually stumps up what they're asking for.

You can easily attack him on his aloof nature when dealing with the media, or the poor handling of the summer's carry on (even if the outcome reached was ultimately probably the right one) amongst other big crises. But ultimately in both cases he's also partly doing what he's paid to do, which is to be the lightning rod for decisions made by the clubs.

Theoretically, shouldn’t each new TV deal be record breaking? You wouldn’t be doing your job correctly if you settled for less than the last one given inflation etc.

Additionally, isn’t the new deal only record breaking as Sky had us over a barrel and agreed to pay us more only if we agreed to let them broadcast more games so it meant that while the total amount in this new deal is greater, the actual value paid for each individual match has dropped?

SPFL and Doncaster are finding it hard to get responses from the Scottish Gov because of their sneaky backhand tactics orchestrated after their meetings with Douglas Ross. 

Publicly slating and like English pointed out conveniently ignoring the concessions they've already had then making claims like by "We want to work with the Gov". The way they've behaved doesn't seem like they do want to work with them at all?

You're never going to get a favour of anyone after sticking the middle finger up after the last favour you had! 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Theoretically, shouldn’t each new TV deal be record breaking? You wouldn’t be doing your job correctly if you settled for less than the last one given inflation etc.
Additionally, isn’t the new deal only record breaking as Sky had us over a barrel and agreed to pay us more only if we agreed to let them broadcast more games so it meant that while the total amount in this new deal is greater, the actual value paid for each individual match has dropped?
On the second part, no - Sky are broadcasting less games under the new contract than BT and Sky were showing under the previous deal - so more money for less games.

21 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
SPFL and Doncaster are finding it hard to get responses from the Scottish Gov because of their sneaky backhand tactics orchestrated after their meetings with Douglas Ross. 

Publicly slating and like English pointed out conveniently ignoring the concessions they've already had then making claims like by "We want to work with the Gov". The way they've behaved doesn't seem like they do want to work with them at all?

You're never going to get a favour of anyone after sticking the middle finger up after the last favour you had! 

You can question whether they should have met with Douglas Ross, but it was hardly sneaky given that they were very happy to make the meeting public. Football is far from the only industry trying to apply pressure via the media, politicians and pretty much every other avenue. If the SPFL, SFA, SRU and everyone else weren't pushing to have fans (or in Tier 1, more fans) in, then they wouldn't be doing their jobs properly.

I'm struggling to see what big favour the government have done to Scottish football. They've granted them an exception to play, but this is in line with literally every single other country in Europe. This notion of "you should just be happy with what you've got" wouldn't fly in any other circumstances, so I'm not sure why it should now. The Scottish (and up to now the UK) government's position on outdoor sporting events compared to various indoor businesses is entirely incompatible with every other piece of advice they give out about the relative safety of indoor v outdoor mixing.

The idea that the government should be immune from criticism from any organisation, or that they should somehow face repercussions for doing so is a bit troubling. Fortunately Scotland isn't a fascist dictatorship and therefore I have no doubt the government are still willing to engage constructively even after these sorts of disagreements.

Edited by craigkillie

The issue is more "we want to work with the government" while making "anonymous" comments in the press etc. 

They're making it harder for themselves. Their plan of make noise and antagonising the gov isn't going to get them what they want any faster nor a response faster. 

I'm not sure where this exempt from criticism or dictatorship chat has come from either?

They will work with them I'm sure but the public outbursts aren't going to speed that up. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Just now, 101 said:

I saw in a screenshot of the sun that Steven EBT "Tomo" Thomson has been punted off the BBC is this true?

Suspended I believe. 

Said something along the lines of "with all that moaning they should be wearing skirts"

Didn't hear/see it myself but seen some quotes kicking about. 

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Suspended I believe. 

Said something along the lines of "with all that moaning they should be wearing skirts"

Didn't hear/see it myself but seen some quotes kicking about. 

Fair enough no way back from that, he's a useless broadcaster but by no means the worst of an extremely useless bunch.

Most of the comments don't seem to be anonymous though, clubs and organisations have generally been happy to put their name to them. If anything, the Scottish government do more anonymous briefing than the clubs do, and do it much more effectively, which is hardly surprising given the relative PR budgets.

You've got folk like Chris McLaughlin at the BBC who must have sore arms and legs given the frequency with which he has been used as a puppet by both sides (mainly the government and Celtic) over the last few months, and in fact probably years. He's at it again tonight, making a mountain out of a molehill about these protests at Celtic Park.