Sportsound Watch

I want to get back into grounds as soon as possible but I can't say that Doncaster impressed with his "But England!!!" argument. If I received his letter I'd be firing it in the direction of the shredder.

Minor point next to the all round car crash that was, but I did pick up on Richard Gordon saying no club would benefit from getting 1000 fans in. Not in the Premiership no, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of it I'm fairly confident the 20+ clubs with fewer than 1000 season ticket holders would be ecstatic.

When they finally got on to covering the games, I enjoyed going through the team lines of Livingston v Ayr without mentioning it was already 1-0 before they started.

42 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Radio Clyde is the same.

You'd never know there was a pretty full card of cup & league fixtures today. 

Sportsound is a national broadcaster, You should know what you're getting tuning into Clyde

''this part of the world''

''on other city like it''

and the rest of the delusional shite about how everyone in scotland stop to watch a glasgow derby, 

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

They do cups down in Engerland so there could be a sponsorship looming, another 10 grand or so

They already sponsor the SPFL in some way. Probably paid into the SPFL’s bank account in pizza slices if Doncaster had anything to do with it. 

On 26/11/2020 at 19:48, Archie McSquackle said:

I put the radio on when I got in the car earlier and heard Pat Bonner say Celtic were in complete control of the game. I assumed they were winning but a minute later the commentator announced Sparta Prague were winning 2-1.

Celtic might have been on top at that stage but I would say it's a stretch to say they're in control when they're losing.

Reminds me of that famous night when Aiden McGeady apparently gave the world renowned Paulo Maldini an absolute chasing. In a game that finished 0-0. Tell me again how the attacker has had the full back on toast all night and finished with 0 goals and 0 assists? 

I think I hate Neil Doncaster more than any other person in the world.  How the f**k has this guy chiseled £400,000 a year out of Scottish football per year?

This afternoon he sounded half Facebook conspiracy nut, half mayor from Jaws.

And I loved that he brought up the fact that Scottish football relies on fan finance more than any other league in Europe.  Yeah, it's your job to bring the fucking money in, something you've proved to be completely useless at, as the words out your own smug mouth testify.

Sack Doncaster, put the guy that sells cheap towel sets up at The Barras on £100,000 and we are up at least £300,000 up.  It's a start.

38 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Reminds me of that famous night when Aiden McGeady apparently gave the world renowned Paulo Maldini an absolute chasing. In a game that finished 0-0. Tell me again how the attacker has had the full back on toast all night and finished with 0 goals and 0 assists? 

He could have skinned him 23 times and tied him in knots all evening, while his strikers couldn't finish their dinner with the chances he provided.

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think I hate Neil Doncaster more than any other person in the world.  How the f**k has this guy chiseled £400,000 a year out of Scottish football per year?

This afternoon he sounded half Facebook conspiracy nut, half mayor from Jaws.

And I loved that he brought up the fact that Scottish football relies on fan finance more than any other league in Europe.  Yeah, it's your job to bring the fucking money in, something you've proved to be completely useless at, as the words out your own smug mouth testify.

Sack Doncaster, put the guy that sells cheap towel sets up at The Barras on £100,000 and we are up at least £300,000 up.  It's a start.

Think the Towsing Richard Gordon and Tom English gave him must have given Cormack and the Hearts guy a fright because it felt like they were distancing themselves from him when they spoke, at one point I thought the Hearts guy had just fucked off with embarrassment, when he did talk he more or less said, I'm nothing to do with these two, But we need a road map from the Scottish Government.  

Doncaster smugly tried to deflect the questions over the delayed money and no sponsorship deal saying, where not hear to talk about that or, why are you focusing on that.

I don't think attacking Doncaster on commercial income is a very good idea, given that this season will likely have the biggest prize pot in the history of Scottish football given the record TV deal this season. The headline sponsor deal with Ladbrokes was around £2m a year, which is barely a drop in the ocean compared to TV money (or gate revenue when we can get it). Obviously, even with the provisionally agreed deal falling through due to covid, they've had plenty of time to sort something out by now. They've obviously got to toe a fine line between settling on a cheaper deal which potentially undercuts the value of the product, or holding out in the hope that someone eventually stumps up what they're asking for.

You can easily attack him on his aloof nature when dealing with the media, or the poor handling of the summer's carry on (even if the outcome reached was ultimately probably the right one) amongst other big crises. But ultimately in both cases he's also partly doing what he's paid to do, which is to be the lightning rod for decisions made by the clubs.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think attacking Doncaster on commercial income is a very good idea, given that this season will likely have the biggest prize pot in the history of Scottish football given the record TV deal this season. The headline sponsor deal with Ladbrokes was around £2m a year, which is barely a drop in the ocean compared to TV money (or gate revenue when we can get it). Obviously, even with the provisionally agreed deal falling through due to covid, they've had plenty of time to sort something out by now. They've obviously got to toe a fine line between settling on a cheaper deal which potentially undercuts the value of the product, or holding out in the hope that someone eventually stumps up what they're asking for.

You can easily attack him on his aloof nature when dealing with the media, or the poor handling of the summer's carry on (even if the outcome reached was ultimately probably the right one) amongst other big crises. But ultimately in both cases he's also partly doing what he's paid to do, which is to be the lightning rod for decisions made by the clubs.

Ladbrokes announced publicly in August 2019 they were withdrawing from football sponsorship. It is now Almost December 2020, There is holding out and there is negligence. It is like a club knocking back Joe Bloggs local plumber because McDonalds or Amazon might want to broker a deal. The best case is they brokered a deal with the Scottish Government again for sponsorship in the current climate but hes made sure that won't happen. 

He was an embarrassment today, he made the same arguments that were debunked after he made them last month, he obviously didn't listen to Jason Leitch on off the ball an hour before because he explained all the reasons behind the things Doncaster was complaining about, yet said them anyway because it was all he had. 

It was like someone calling up James O'Brien's phone in to talk about immigration, he just kept going despite obviously having the piss ripped out of him.  

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think this job description really holds up when you consider that he campaigns on behalf of the SPFL board when member clubs vote.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Couldn't disagree more on the commercial deal. Scottish football operating without a headline sponsor for its leagues while putting all its eggs in the Sky's baaket is woeful planning regardless of the short term increase in revenue. If the football element of Sky's model declines or it loses interest again then the 'value' of the SPFL's product collapses overnight. There is no logic to failing to agree terms on one and rely almost entirely on Sky given the calamitous impact of Setanta and ITV Digital before them.

Edited by vikingTON

Doncaster and the Aberdeen lad have gone about this terribly. Their snidey claims of it being a 'political' rather than clinical decision are just dickhead politics and bare capitalism ludicrously posing as some sort of attempt at altruism. They've deliberately ignored the points that travelling and mingling before and after games are the biggest issues and not fans being in grounds.

Doncaster's disingenuous pish about the money given to the Scottish Government is purposely ignoring the points made about said funds, which have been made on various platforms. He's basically lying.

The false equivalence with England is yet more lying. Not everywhere in England is letting in fans. Only certain areas are, just like in Scotland. Just because England are doing it doesn't make it right. As pointed out, various countries are not letting any fans in.

The danger with letting Aberdeen go ahead with their 'test events' is that every other club will then ask why they can't do it, then demand they get to do it and will have a legal argument for it. The other danger is that Aberdeen are very obviously going to demand more and more fans for each game.

The Aberdeen guy said they'd called loads of fans and sixteen thousand said they'd return/be ready to return, but what questions were asked? I think just about every fan would like to return and would say so of asked, but what was the wording of the questions?

Aberdeen and Doncaster have went about this dreadfully and have done their (poor) case(s) zero favours.

Aberdeen's current infection rates - both city and shire - are currently on a par with the tier 3 areas in the country anyway so it's not as if they can actually peddle this ill-deserved sense of injustice from a position of strength. We're not exactly dealing with Covid-free Eriskay or somewhere yet they want thousands of people to traipse to Pittodrie to keep their hopeless business model going.

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

Aberdeen's current infection rates - both city and shire - are currently on a par with the tier 3 areas in the country anyway so it's not as if they can actually peddle this ill-deserved sense of injustice from a position of strength. We're not exactly dealing with Covid-free Eriskay or somewhere yet they want thousands of people to traipse to Pittodrie to keep their hopeless business model going.

Weird thing is that out of the three teams of that of size - Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts - Aberdeen are the ones least-dependent on gate receipts. They have some sort of income source that isn't just milking the matchday fans.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Doncaster and the Aberdeen lad have gone about this terribly. Their snidey claims of it being a 'political' rather than clinical decision are just dickhead politics and bare capitalism ludicrously posing as some sort of attempt at altruism. They've deliberately ignored the points that travelling and mingling before and after games are the biggest issues and not fans being in grounds.

Doncaster's disingenuous pish about the money given to the Scottish Government is purposely ignoring the points made about said funds, which have been made on various platforms. He's basically lying.

The false equivalence with England is yet more lying. Not everywhere in England is letting in fans. Only certain areas are, just like in Scotland. Just because England are doing it doesn't make it right. As pointed out, various countries are not letting any fans in.

The danger with letting Aberdeen go ahead with their 'test events' is that every other club will then ask why they can't do it, then demand they get to do it and will have a legal argument for it. The other danger is that Aberdeen are very obviously going to demand more and more fans for each game.

The Aberdeen guy said they'd called loads of fans and sixteen thousand said they'd return/be ready to return, but what questions were asked? I think just about every fan would like to return and would say so of asked, but what was the wording of the questions?

Aberdeen and Doncaster have went about this dreadfully and have done their (poor) case(s) zero favours.

Rubbish. How is it snidey? Of course its a political decision.

They have pointed out the hypocrisy of having indoor venues like bingo/cinemas/shopping centres etc heaving with people whilst claiming outdoor stadiums with social distancing and masks is unsafe.

This is the same government who had pubs open for months with people packed in whilst saying gyms for example werent safe.

Or the same government who locked down Aberdeen whilst letting Glasgow stay open with much much higher rates.

They are correct to point out these errors and strange political moves!

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Weird thing is that out of the three teams of that of size - Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts - Aberdeen are the ones least-dependent on gate receipts. They have some sort of income source that isn't just milking the matchday fans.

This is the bit I dont get about Cormacks plea.

Aberdeen have quite a high dependency on commercial income (hospitality etc) than us - so I struggle to see how a limited number of fans will help that?

Until we all get to something approaching 5 figures for attendances (which nobody in the UK has yet) meaning the virus is well in retreat, its difficult to see how football clubs can begin to milk that hospitality teat again.