Sportsound Watch

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Picking that would be political choice.

Keeping football shut down is absolutely political and football fans (with justification TBF) are treated differently.

This is where they are letting themselves down. Like it or not we have material amount of people following our clubs who can’t make sensible decisions.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Look let’s put this fans back in to grounds into perspective. 
Say they let 25% of ground capacity back in, too most clubs that will be season tickets only …… clubs already have this money. Doubt there will be any catering and a very limited club shop to buy merchandise so not going to make much if any money there. Also doubt they would be allowed corporate hospitality where most of their money is made. 
How much will it cost a club to make their stadium COVID safe for fans  ???

Don’t think the problem is in the stadium it is the travelling to and from the game and entry and exit of the stadiums where the problems need to be resolved.

Also the arseholes of the gruesome twosome who will not abide by the rules no matter what !!! 

Willie Miller is an absolute buffoon on this. Football hasn't demostrate dthat it can control players and back office staff. I don't trust football fans to behave properly, respect the rules and behave, there's too much passion and alcohol involved. I won't be setting foot inside a football gorund again until we have a way out of the pandemic.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

This is where they are letting themselves. Like it or not we have material amount of people following our clubs who can’t make sensible decisions.

Its not even the people its the whole "rules out the window" atmosphere.

I have turned up to games insensible with drink and drugs and verbally abused people working at the ground for being asked to sit on a seat.

I haven't done that at Cineworld or Pizza Hut (maybe a bit stoned)

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They don't trust football fans and treat them differently to the general public. There is certainly no great public health reason as to why indoor social clubs at football stadiums can open with 1m social distancing, yet the outdoor stadium next door can't have anyone in even with 2m distancing (or more). The science is very clear about which of those is actually more dangerous.

Have you seen some of the antics of the green brigade or the blue bears

No wonder they don’t trust football fans 

Part of the reasons for Doncaster etc speaking out will be to ingratiate them with the fans, look at us we are standing up for the game and speaking out.  However they won’t have done themselves any favours in future discussions with the authorities.

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The science might say doing activity A is pretty much safe and activity B is pretty much safe but doing Activity A + B tips the risk over the edge so pick one.

Picking that would be political choice.

But there would still be a clinical basis for that choice, which Mulraney and Doncaster have also made the choice not to mention at all in their current lobbying tour. 

Keeping football shut down is absolutely political and football fans (with justification TBF) are treated differently.

I actually don't see how it is right now: what other large venues are open to the public in other spectator sports - leaving aside what those idiot Fife stock car organisers thought was allowed? When the government is restricting people from meeting in even small groups from different households in a public park then it is a complete non-starter to think that spectator sports are going to get the green light. When you can't visit two different households outside then having even a few thousand spectators rock up to Celtic Park every week is just not going to happen and rightly so.

I agree that there will almost certainly be an anti-football bias when it comes to relaxing restrictions again - and there was already evidence of that when it came to test events - but that's not where we are at the moment. Their current lobbying is therefore ridiculous to say the least and I think it will only weaken their case for government sympathy and/or support.

Edited by vikingTON

Guest 8GamesToGo

The irony of it. The SPFL and SFA are two of the most political organisations around. Everything they do is political. Their spin and and avoidance of taking responsibility for anything puts most politicians to shame.

I like this quote from Mulraney:

""We're not the English Premier League, which receives billions in TV cash," he told Sportsound. "That's why a decision to demote clubs unnecessarily after 3/4 of the season in the middle of a global pandemic into leagues that might not run puts clubs in real peril."

Oh sorry he actually said this of course

""We're not the English Premier League, which receives billions in TV cash," he told Sportsound. "That's why a decision to stop fans attending in Scotland puts clubs in real peril."

3 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Have you seen some of the antics of the green brigade or the blue bears

No wonder they don’t trust football fans 

They have no issue reopening pubs despite the havoc that their customers cause in city and town centres and on public transport every weekend (and during the week).

I actually don't see how it is right now: what other large venues are open to the public in other spectator sports - leaving aside what those idiot Fife stock car organisers thought was allowed? When the government is restricting people from meeting in even small groups from different households in a public park then it is a complete non-starter to think that spectator sports are going to get the green light. When you can't visit two different households outside then having even a few thousand spectators rock up to Celtic Park every week is just not going to happen and rightly so.
I agree that there will almost certainly be an anti-football bias when it comes to relaxing restrictions again - and there was already evidence of that when it came to test events - but that's not where we are at the moment. Their current lobbying is therefore ridiculous to say the least and I think it will only weaken their case for government sympathy and/or support.
They held trial runs with limited numbers of spectators as a first step to getting people back to the games but the number of cases has risen so it's no surprise they put a halt to the return of fans.

I don't think there's any great concern about people sitting socially distanced for the duration of the match, it's all the peripheral activities like large numbers of people going to the toilet at half time or arriving and leaving.

Here is a graph from the ONS showing where incidents of Covid were occurring in England last week:

C24F933A-4E4C-45C1-B0AE-1AC144B5C201.jpeg.2c70289bf33320895e193c433aa592ec.thumb.jpeg.8e78fc5a7650fb28aa04df473cd59080.jpeg

Sitting socially distanced in an open air stadium for a couple of hours is seen as more dangerous (or less worthy) than visiting restaurants, pubs, etc. These places, as you can see, have seen very few cases since reopening.

We'll ignore the giant blue section of the chart for now, just like the Scottish and Westminster governments.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

3 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Here is a graph from the ONS showing where incidents of Covid were occurring in England last week:

C24F933A-4E4C-45C1-B0AE-1AC144B5C201.jpeg.2c70289bf33320895e193c433aa592ec.thumb.jpeg.8e78fc5a7650fb28aa04df473cd59080.jpeg

Sitting socially distanced in an open air stadium for a couple of hours is seen as more dangerous (or less worthy) than visiting restaurants, pubs, etc. These places, as you can see, have seen very few cases in the last week.

We'll ignore the giant blue section of the chart for now, just like the Scottish and Westminster governments.

Sitting in a stadium is not part of the debate, no one would have an issue with that part of the process.

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Here is a graph from England showing where incidents of Covid were occurring in England last week:

Sitting socially distanced in an open air stadium for a couple of hours is seen as more dangerous (or less worthy) than visiting restaurants, pubs, etc. These places, as you can see, have seen very few cases in the last week.

It's the latter.

The Govt would close the pubs and restaurants tomorrow if it wasn't for the economic impact.

At premier league level letting 1000 fans in (who have already paid their money) is a waste of time and probably doesn't even do much for the surrounding economy.

I'm not at all clear why Forfar Athletic and clubs at that level couldn't have their fan base in.