Sportsound Watch

Why do all these pundits seem to expect free-flowing, exciting football every time they go out? Every time I listen, they talk so negatively about the games. 
I rarely hear this tone when games in England are covered by Sky, BT or BBC. They seem incapable of actually analysing what went on in the games.
Exactly, the amount of pish I watch by default in the EPL is incredible. Difference is Sky and the aresholes that are on will talk it up to the hilt no matter the shite you are actually having to suffer.

For some reason it made me irrationally angry today when I was listening that Liam McLeod, when talking about next weeks games being played on the Friday because of the Israel game, said something like “Of course, obviously someone didn’t factor in both Rangers and Celtic being in the play-off round for the Europa League, given that they’ll make up the majority of Steve Clarke’s team”. 

I’ll give him Celtic, but how many Rangers players are in the Scotland team, or even the squad, these days? Jack when he’s not injured. McLaughlin? 

And while I’m at it, stop telling me the fucking score every 14 seconds, Liam. I know the score, I’m paying attention. Maybe if you could limit it to once every 2 or 3 minutes my eye wouldn’t twitch every time the ball goes out for a throw and I hear “And it is St Mirren nil, Kilmarnock nil”. 

Edited by Swami

4 hours ago, Swami said:

For some reason it made me irrationally angry today when I was listening that Liam McLeod, when talking about next weeks games being played on the Friday because of the Israel game, said something like “Of course, obviously someone didn’t factor in both Rangers and Celtic being in the play-off round for the Europa League, given that they’ll make up the majority of Steve Clarke’s team”. 

I’ll give him Celtic, but how many Rangers players are in the Scotland team, or even the squad, these days? Jack when he’s not injured. McLaughlin? 

And while I’m at it, stop telling me the fucking score every 14 seconds, Liam. I know the score, I’m paying attention. Maybe if you could limit it to once every 2 or 3 minutes my eye wouldn’t twitch every time the ball goes out for a throw and I hear “And it is St Mirren nil, Kilmarnock nil”. 

I much prefer being told the score frequently , than it not being mentioned for ages , if you don't know the latest score.  Rob McLean is , in my view ,the worst of the current crop of radio commentators when it comes to keeping the newly-tuned-in listener , in the dark about the score.

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Genuine much hilarity on the show tonight with Robbie Nielsen " appearing " and someone sympathising about how he  has had to clear up the mess left by previous managers

Think that was Daryl B getting his own back on some of Levein's latest greets, some aimed at the time when he was at the SFA.

On 26/09/2020 at 18:37, Swami said:

They're at this regularly. It's like a political decision that they need to say the OF need rested ahead of Scotland games.

Rangers haven't made up a big part of the Scotland squad since pre 2012.

On 26/09/2020 at 17:29, EdinburghLivi said:

Why do all these pundits seem to expect free-flowing, exciting football every time they go out? Every time I listen, they talk so negatively about the games. 

I rarely hear this tone when games in England are covered by Sky, BT or BBC. They seem incapable of actually analysing what went on in the games.

On 26/09/2020 at 18:31, kilMARKnock said:
On 26/09/2020 at 17:29, EdinburghLivi said:

Exactly, the amount of pish I watch by default in the EPL is incredible. Difference is Sky and the aresholes that are on will talk it up to the hilt no matter the shite you are actually having to suffer.

This is a great point.

Granted England has the more talented bunch playing down there but anytime I watch, it is a dreary and often utter shite game. They are paid to talk the product up though and have a bunch of guys who will be looking to do so.

The Scottish games are just as entertaining as the English but we have a serious issue bothering to promote our game. 

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This is a great point.

Granted England has the more talented bunch playing down there but anytime I watch, it is a dreary and often utter shite game. They are paid to talk the product up though and have a bunch of guys who will be looking to do so.

The Scottish games are just as entertaining as the English but we have a serious issue bothering to promote our game. 

The year we pushed Celtic far in the title race the thought of anyone other than the OF winning was laughable. Every single week we were told it wouldn't happen. Rangers were the only team who would be able to challenge.

We then finished ahead of them twice after their promotion.

When Leicester won the Premier League the pundits were going out if their way to state how much they'd love them to win the title. Up here there is no appetite for anything other than an old firm two horse race.

That's partly due to the fear of the a backlash from the slebbering morons who support the OF. Even if someone clearly said they'd love Aberdeen to win the league, they hear they don't want XXXXXXX (enter OF team here) and give it the old "he's no wan of us so he is wan of them" type shite. 

Not an excuse though.

The media/pundits up here are a fucking joke.

Admittedly I only listen to the odd wee bit of weekday Sportsound, but I quite like Levein on it. Seems quite relaxed and happy to laugh at himself. He's much cleverer than your McFaddens and Doddses too.

Obviously the overriding Jambo-ness of the whole thing is unpleasant though.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Admittedly I only listen to the odd wee bit of weekday Sportsound, but I quite like Levein on it. Seems quite relaxed and happy to laugh at himself. He's much cleverer than your McFaddens and Doddses too.

Levein does appear to be much more balanced and light- hearted since he left Hearts.

He was just as bad as Tom English a few months ago but seems to have calmed down.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

That's partly due to the fear of the a backlash from the slebbering morons who support the OF. Even if someone clearly said they'd love Aberdeen to win the league, they hear they don't want XXXXXXX (enter OF team here) and give it the old "he's no wan of us so he is wan of them" type shite. 

Not an excuse though.

The media/pundits up here are a fucking joke.

That's true.

It's insane though. If Motherwell had a genuine chance of winning it then ther's more chance of me tuning in to see how they're doing if pundits talk them up. If I'm repearedly told they aren't good enough then why the f**k would I be interested as a neutral?

Surely more viewers means more £££?