Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Kettlewell being interviewed pre-match, back to the studio and Richard Gordon is having a right laugh about how Tom English wasn't listening to the interview as he was instead listing golf courses he'd like to go to.
Terrific coverage.
Oh aye, the Sportsound studio is professionalism personified, dontchaknow....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it Jane Lewis today?

Brutal.

Stuttering and bumbling like she has never seen a fuckin microphone before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Halliday, this evening, when asked if Morelos is misunderstood.

“I don’t know, I don’t speak the best Portuguese”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At the risk of sounding sexist, having watched the highlights of Glasgow City vs Wolfsburg, you’ve got to question the value of the female players opinions on “elite” football. 

 

As an old timer myself, I don’t have a problem with female pundits per say, however I don’t get the need to have a female ‘expert’ at every event, be it golf, cricket, football or whatever. Female elite sport is rightly commentated on by women, why is there a need for their constant input on male sporting events? I have no idea what the percentage of viewers are female but would imagine it is relatively low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

 


As an old timer myself, I don’t have a problem with female pundits per say, however I don’t get the need to have a female ‘expert’ at every event, be it golf, cricket, football or whatever. Female elite sport is rightly commentated on by women, why is there a need for their constant input on male spirting events? I have no idea what the percentage of viewers are female but would imagine it is relatively low.

 

I've got a similar gripe about all these cooking programmes being fronted by men. Ok you've Nigella and that Swedish/Chinese bird doing the odd show but that Gordon Ramsey getting on the screens is sheer tokenism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
As an old timer myself, I don’t have a problem with female pundits per say, however I don’t get the need to have a female ‘expert’ at every event, be it golf, cricket, football or whatever. Female elite sport is rightly commentated on by women, why is there a need for their constant input on male sporting events? I have no idea what the percentage of viewers are female but would imagine it is relatively low.

I could have sworn there were plenty of male pundits and commentators on the Women's World Cup last summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't hear the clip so the following is paraphrased with comments from several messages on Saturday but apparently Richard Foster was asked what Aberdeen fans can expect from Marley Watkins after signing for Aberdeen. He didn't know anything about him but because he had come from the English Championship he must be good. The other "pundits" murmured in agreement. It was left to Liam Macleod of all people to explain that Watkins had played in the Premiership with ICT and won the Scottish Cup scoring in the final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RiG said:

I didn't hear the clip so the following is paraphrased with comments from several messages on Saturday but apparently Richard Foster was asked what Aberdeen fans can expect from Marley Watkins after signing for Aberdeen. He didn't know anything about him but because he had come from the English Championship he must be good. The other "pundits" murmured in agreement. It was left to Liam Macleod of all people to explain that Watkins had played in the Premiership with ICT and won the Scottish Cup scoring in the final.

That is bad. The name rang a bell with me and I am neither an ICT fan or a '' pundit ''

Edited by ewan14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 19:35, Green Day said:

Apparently they had to apologise tonight for Leveins comments about Morton and Raith the other night.

5caa0b7110aac_naturalorder.jpg.093491971826b98b47fd4fda01a1be52.jpgimage.png.39d2f77a5a7758ef5c5c90179876497a.png.7f231ef7e563a60ed626eb4fc1240759.png

not his 4 - 6 - 0 , no strikers formation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RiG said:

I didn't hear the clip so the following is paraphrased with comments from several messages on Saturday but apparently Richard Foster was asked what Aberdeen fans can expect from Marley Watkins after signing for Aberdeen. He didn't know anything about him but because he had come from the English Championship he must be good. The other "pundits" murmured in agreement. It was left to Liam Macleod of all people to explain that Watkins had played in the Premiership with ICT and won the Scottish Cup scoring in the final.

Ricky Foster would have been bumbling about the lower leagues at the time to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Ricky Foster would have been bumbling about the lower leagues at the time to be fair.

Yeah my first thought was "Surely Foster played against him?" but I did have a look on Wiki and remembered that Foster was with Rangers on "The Journey" for the two years Watkins was with us in the Premiership.

Edited by RiG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Andy Halliday, this evening, when asked if Morelos is misunderstood.

“I don’t know, I don’t speak the best Portuguese”.

I've only read a few of his comments but it seems like he was pretty good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2020 at 14:51, G-MAN said:

Jane Lewis must be THE worst sports reporter ever on Sportsound.

Thick doesn’t even come close to describing her interviews today.

It's all about the BBC's obsession with diversity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's the thing, I thought Jane Lewis was terrible on open all mics but I feel she does a lot better when hosting the show herself. I don't tend to listen to the show on Sundays, but for the little I have caught I don't think it's that bad.

I've not paid enough attention to her factual accuracy, but if we are going to judge her on that (and it's entirely fair that she is) then the same yardstick should be applied to other presenters/commentators/pundits and as we've seen they can be considerably lacking in what you'd expect to be their "specialist subject".

In terms of diversity, and this isn't a dig at Lang Toon Saintee as they just mentioned it in their previous post, I'm all for it actually. Imagine the annoyance of Scots if all our presenters were replaced by English ones who had never played the game up here or even watched much of it on TV? People would go mental. To me, while not a direct analogy, is the same for blokes who have little involvement in Women's football commenting on the games. Now I appreciate there is more to Sportsound than just football, but you can see where I'm coming from.

I could be wrong here, I often am.. ;), but isn't this her first main presenter gig she's had? If that is the case then it's only fair to see if she grows into the role. Most presenters do take time to find their rhythm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I've only read a few of his comments but it seems like he was pretty good?

Annoyingly, he was one of the better guests they’ve had. No complaints about anything that he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ric said:

So here's the thing, I thought Jane Lewis was terrible on open all mics but I feel she does a lot better when hosting the show herself. I don't tend to listen to the show on Sundays, but for the little I have caught I don't think it's that bad.

I've not paid enough attention to her factual accuracy, but if we are going to judge her on that (and it's entirely fair that she is) then the same yardstick should be applied to other presenters/commentators/pundits and as we've seen they can be considerably lacking in what you'd expect to be their "specialist subject".

In terms of diversity, and this isn't a dig at Lang Toon Saintee as they just mentioned it in their previous post, I'm all for it actually. Imagine the annoyance of Scots if all our presenters were replaced by English ones who had never played the game up here or even watched much of it on TV? People would go mental. To me, while not a direct analogy, is the same for blokes who have little involvement in Women's football commenting on the games. Now I appreciate there is more to Sportsound than just football, but you can see where I'm coming from.

I could be wrong here, I often am.. ;), but isn't this her first main presenter gig she's had? If that is the case then it's only fair to see if she grows into the role. Most presenters do take time to find their rhythm.

The thing that really annoys me about her is that when someone is answering a question that she poses, she feels the need to say something at the end of each sentence of the reply, which can go on for minutes. Whether it be a “yes”, an “uh huh” or a really annoying giggle. To balance up what may appear to be a sexist view, David Currie is as bad a presenter, if not worse, and neither he nor Jane Lewis should be anywhere near a presenter role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Thanks for joining us on..................................*deep breath*.....................sportsound”

Edited by swing_kinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat Bonner reckons that a stadium in Bucharest which will host the Super Cup will be 20% capacity and because it will be one of the "bigger stadiums", that'll mean 20,000 spectators.

 

This listener can't believe for one second that a football stadium in Bucharest has the capacity as described. Neither should Pat.

 

The Puskas Arena houses 67,215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...