Sportsound Watch

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I genuinely had a dream a few nights ago that Simon Ferry was the presenter of Match of the Day, and he asked Jermaine Jenas and Alan Shearer if they grew up supporting one of the Old Firm. I can’t remember what the answers were, but just after the question got asked Jenas got taken to the moon by cats. 

Cats were probably 'Chelsea' fans.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Brian McLaughlin saying "there is a fair bit of pressure on Lord Clarke" as of a senior court judge gives a f**k 

Exactly, no more so than any other court case over his career. All this dramatisation of events does get quite draining.

3 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Tom English is either pished or has a medical issue.  Slurring his speech. 

Sounds like he's forgotten to put his false teeth in.

If he's had some medical issue then I wish him well, as much as I disagree with him & find his output recently of a poor standard, I wish him no personal "harm".

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t mean to tar a full support with the same brush, but every one of them is a Rangers fan. 

To be fair it’s not close friends it’s acquaintances and work colleagues. 

Yes, I've experienced the same.  Worked with a Rangers* supporter who said that he had watched English Championship game, rather than a Scottish Premiership match on at the same time the night before, as it was 'higher quality football'.  I've never understood that attitude, as you're basically implying that your own team is piss-poor also, if that's your opinion of the Scottish leagues.. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Probably an age thing. I find it easier to avoid them. I watch a lot of tv football and get to few travelling around England. I don't buy in to the hype, but I do think a bit of natiOnalism bias comes through in the negative posts about their game.

It's a big country with a much bigger population, the pool of English players dictate it's likely to be better than Scotland, even below the top division. Then throw in the marketing and revenue and it's no contest.

There's no point in getting bitter about it. I was just thinking that if the season had been interrupted for some other reason, I'd have dumped her and be charging about getting to as many games as possible.

I’ve attended 5 EPL games in the past 5 or 6 years. Of those games, me and my pal left at half time at 2 of them, Chelsea V Leicester a couple of days before Christmas last season and Liverpool v West Brom I think 3 seasons ago. I’ve watched the other games at the Emirates, Spurs new stadium and St James Park. Admittedly it may be personal preference, but I have genuinely never left a Scottish league game early, not even 2 minutes early. It’s not a bitterness or jealousy towards our larger neighbours, it’s just an experience of a really bad day out at the football. I’ve been to Dortmund, Bochum, Koln, Ajax and loved every minute of it. If I’m leaving a game at half time it needs to be pretty horrendous and those are the only 2 games that have merited it. 

14 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yes, I've experienced the same.  Worked with a Rangers* supporter who said that he had watched English Championship game, rather than a Scottish Premiership match on at the same time the night before, as it was 'higher quality football'.  I've never understood that attitude, as you're basically implying that your own team is piss-poor also, if that's your opinion of the Scottish leagues.. 

Hes a moth.

Sees bright lights and gets drawn in. EPL games without the billion pound production, fireworks and enhanced crowd noises is bang average.

Worst game I've ever been to in the flesh was Newcastle v Bolton. Keegan's first game back as manager, and it was absolutely shite with no chances for either side, crowd had a few good early songs then got bored. You then had people who watched it on Sky raving about the amazing atmosphere and high tempo game.

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve attended 5 EPL games in the past 5 or 6 years. Of those games, me and my pal left at half time at 2 of them, Chelsea V Leicester a couple of days before Christmas last season and Liverpool v West Brom I think 3 seasons ago. I’ve watched the other games at the Emirates, Spurs new stadium and St James Park. Admittedly it may be personal preference, but I have genuinely never left a Scottish league game early, not even 2 minutes early. It’s not a bitterness or jealousy towards our larger neighbours, it’s just an experience of a really bad day out at the football. I’ve been to Dortmund, Bochum, Koln, Ajax and loved every minute of it. If I’m leaving a game at half time it needs to be pretty horrendous and those are the only 2 games that have merited it. 

It will depend on your mindset as you go. I'd guess you  feel more positively inclined to the non-English games and act accordingly. I've no idea how those games played out in terms of goals or quality play.

On 25/06/2020 at 13:40, Tartantony said:

I think Scottish footballs attitude towards John Collins really highlights why we are where we are.

Reconstruction, colt teams, project brave etc etc will make no difference because the main issue is purely mental, our players have the ability but seriously lack the mental attributes to make that step up and until chairman/managers/players and fans understand that massive change is required in the set up of our clubs it will never ever change.

I personally love listening to JC and think it’s a real pity he is ridiculed as much as he is. I think he does have the character to make it happen but if no one is willing to go along with him then there’s not much he can do.

I hope he does buy a club and introduce that sort of culture. I reckon he’d prove a lot of people wrong.

I agree with your post to a point,for me Collins is just expressing his opinion from his experience and perception at the time he was at Monaco and it just shows how far ahead Jean Tigana was in terms of his methods he used on his players.
We seen this when Rodgers came to Celtic the professionalism went up tenfold right down to the pitch the players played on.
The problem for Collins is it was 25 years ago and Scottish football is getting there,Michael Stewart and Kevin Thompson have strong opinions and influence in the dressing room for me it was just a personality clash and respect for managers changed through the bosman ruling with player power kicking in.
For me the mental attributes of players is not just exclusive to Scotland,players that don't feel they need to move isn't a bad thing plus they're plenty of players that make bad moves.

24 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

One of the guns at my work watches no football bar *** games, allegedly. He'll make a point of saying he'd draw his curtains if Aberdeen were playing in his garden.

He'll then go on to tell you Aberdeen are shite. Celtic aren't great etc.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I agree with your post to a point,for me Collins is just expressing his opinion from his experience and perception at the time he was at Monaco and it just shows how far ahead Jean Tigana was in terms of his methods he used on his players.
We seen this when Rodgers came to Celtic the professionalism went up tenfold right down to the pitch the players played on.
The problem for Collins is it was 25 years ago and Scottish football is getting there,Michael Stewart and Kevin Thompson have strong opinions and influence in the dressing room for me it was just a personality clash and respect for managers changed through the bosman ruling with player power kicking in.
For me the mental attributes of players is not just exclusive to Scotland,players that don't feel they need to move isn't a bad thing plus they're plenty of players that make bad moves.

As with any line of work a manager can have the correct way of thinking but if he can't get his point across without coming across like an arsehole then it's doomed to fail.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It will depend on your mindset as you go. I'd guess you  feel more positively inclined to the non-English games and act accordingly. I've no idea how those games played out in terms of goals or quality play.

I have, in the past, enjoyed English games. I’m not heart set against them. Infact the game at Spurs new stadium was the opening game of this season against Aston Villa, John McGinn scored a cracking goal and Spurs came back to win 3-1. It was a good game, with a good atmosphere, in a very impressive stadium. I thoroughly enjoyed it to be honest. The Chelsea v Leicester game that we left at half time had the atmosphere of a game of FIFA. I was really looking forward to the game, plenty of genuinely world class players on show, but it was just so fucking boring. We were in a pub on Fulham high street before the game with about 15 Chelsea season ticket holders who said the only games they went to were WestHam, Spurs and Man United. We were actually well warned that the atmosphere was going to be terrible and they weren’t half right. We had paid over the odds for the tickets off viagogo and we still left at half time. 

I think the pushback is against the Sky Sports marketing of "the best league in the world EVER, up next Norwich v Bournemouth" where the hype cant get anywhere near the actual product.
Too many people up here will watch a game like that but wont bother with Aberdeem v Hibs, nevermind games lower down the table. Tbh, its usually people who dont actually go to live games.
I tend to take an interest in the big EPL teams playing each other when the game is meaningful for final places or whatever but cant find any interest in pretty much any other games.

1 minute ago, Fife Saint said:

Hopefully some tears from this twat from Falkirk to make up for the tedium of that liverpool discussion.

Hilarious, Deans "wont criticise other clubs" for saying they can start in October..................and then goes on to discuss it by saying that other clubs are "taking a risk".

Another erse