Sportsound Watch

I genuinely had a dream a few nights ago that Simon Ferry was the presenter of Match of the Day, and he asked Jermaine Jenas and Alan Shearer if they grew up supporting one of the Old Firm. I can’t remember what the answers were, but just after the question got asked Jenas got taken to the moon by cats. 

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

First ten minutes of BBC's premier Scottish football podcast is about Liverpool winning the league. The f**k?

Surprised it was only 10, they can spend half an hour on a Saturday ignoring every goal from the Championship, Leagues One and Two, to talk about a VAR decision from Burnley Vs Sheffield United as if that’s the reason people tune in to Open All Mics. 

Without even trying, I will probably see every goal from the EPL through Twitter, SSN etc, but Richard Gordon and the other whopper who presents Open All Mics love to give goal alerts from the EPL. I think it’s a sort of inferiority complex that they have. They get to be like Soocer Saturday or TalkSport by reporting on English football, it makes them feel more important. Reading out the Elgin City v Cowdenbeath score doesn’t do it for them, but they get a hard on if they get to tell you Aguero has just scored for Man City. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I genuinely had a dream a few nights ago that Simon Ferry was the presenter of Match of the Day, and he asked Jermaine Jenas and Alan Shearer if they grew up supporting one of the Old Firm. I can’t remember what the answers were, but just after the question got asked Jenas got taken to the moon by cats. 

Can i suggest you pass the dutchie to the left hand side a wee bit more often ??

Cheers mate

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Surprised it was only 10, they can spend half an hour on a Saturday ignoring every goal from the Championship, Leagues One and Two, to talk about a VAR decision from Burnley Vs Sheffield United as if that’s the reason people tune in to Open All Mics. 

Without even trying, I will probably see every goal from the EPL through Twitter, SSN etc, but Richard Gordon and the other whopper who presents Open All Mics love to give goal alerts from the EPL. I think it’s a sort of inferiority complex that they have. They get to be like Soocer Saturday or TalkSport by reporting on English football, it makes them feel more important. Reading out the Elgin City v Cowdenbeath score doesn’t do it for them, but they get a hard on if they get to tell you Aguero has just scored for Man City. 

Sad thing is, I know people, Scottish people living and working in Scotland, who have no interest in our leagues but will sit down to watch MOTD religiously. I try now and then to watch the English Premier but I just can't get into it.

Sad thing is, I know people, Scottish people living and working in Scotland, who have no interest in our leagues but will sit down to watch MOTD religiously. I try now and then to watch the English Premier but I just can't get into it.
That's because they want to feel they're part of something successful, to fill some gap in their lives. Scottish football is too tinpot for some nobody from somewhere like Leven or East Kilbride.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

I have actually sensed a small shift, certainly among the people I keep company with. These lockdown games in the EPL are getting correctly called out for the mince that they are. 

I’ve said for a few years now I would rather watch Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Ross County... pick any team home or away (obviously Old Firm only away games) but any combination of those and the game will keep my full attention for 90 minutes. The second half of the Chelsea Man City game on Thursday was the first English for probably 2 years where a full 45 minutes has held my attention. A few years ago I would get slagged for saying I would rather watch genuinely ANY Scottish game over a top of the table EPL game. People accused me of going against the grain for the sake of it. rebelling against the Sky sports ‘Only In the Premier League’ attitude etc...  but you watch Hibs v Rangers at Easter Road, 100 mile an hour game, half bottles of Buckfast getting launched at players, fans on the pitch, a proper fucking poisonous atmosphere. Hearts v Celtic/Rangers at Tynecastle, Hearts players right up for it, thigh high tackles, fans on top of the players in a proper atmospheric stadium, proper passion from every end of the stadium. These sort of games happen quite often in Scotland, especially amongst the teams mentioned. I know throwing missiles on the pitch is idiotic, and pitch invaders trying to attack players are utter clowns, but these are the exact things that make me absolutely love Scottish football. That Motherwell fan trying to hit the ball back with an umbrella and hitting McCulloch in the face, the Hibs fan at Easter Road that ran on and took a volley at Tavernier, the seats flying back and forward any time someone scores at Pittodrie. We might all feign outrage but go and watch Liverpool v Man City at Anfield, 1/3rd of the stadium in corporate seats, the other third watching the game through an IPhone, and the rest Liverpool supporters that clap a Salah goal like they are standing at the Open at Carnoustie clapping a par putt by Henrik Stenson. 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

That's because they want to feel they're part of something successful, to fill some gap in their lives. Scottish football is too tinpot for some nobody from somewhere like Leven or East Kilbride.

This is also true. I know people who won’t watch games from Dingwall or Hamilton on TV, because they have small stadiums. But will watch a nil-nil from Bournemouth and act like it was the best game they’ve seen since sliced bread. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

This is also true. I know people who won’t watch games from Dingwall or Hamilton on TV, because they have small stadiums. But will watch a nil-nil from Bournemouth and act like it was the best game they’ve seen since sliced bread. 

I think you need to review the people you interact with as much as your choice of which football you watch.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think you need to review the people you interact with as much as your choice of which football you watch.

I don’t mean to tar a full support with the same brush, but every one of them is a Rangers fan. 

To be fair it’s not close friends it’s acquaintances and work colleagues. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t mean to tar a full support with the same brush, but every one of them is a Rangers fan. 

To be fair it’s not close friends it’s acquaintances and work colleagues. 

Probably an age thing. I find it easier to avoid them. I watch a lot of tv football and get to few travelling around England. I don't buy in to the hype, but I do think a bit of natiOnalism bias comes through in the negative posts about their game.

It's a big country with a much bigger population, the pool of English players dictate it's likely to be better than Scotland, even below the top division. Then throw in the marketing and revenue and it's no contest.

There's no point in getting bitter about it. I was just thinking that if the season had been interrupted for some other reason, I'd have dumped her and be charging about getting to as many games as possible.