Sportsound Watch

18 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Can't argue with Collins that footballers should be ensuring that they are training and treating their bodies with respect (although I did feel like some sort new-age puritan typing that).  Combined with their ability to read a game & make the right decisions during it, it's their athleticism which enables them to make a living playing football.

It is disappointing that Scottish football is such a closed shop with regard to foreign managers & alternative philosophies.  There was even a small part of me that wanted Daniel Stendel to be successful with his rope & goggles approach to improving Hearts' defence, just because he was ridiculed in the press about trying a novel idea.

Yes, you only have to look at Adebayo Akinfenwa of Wycombe Wanderers to see the extreme end of the 'bulking up' approach. 

I've no reason to believe that footballers are any different from any other group of employees.  You'll have some who are prepared to go the whole hog, treat their body as a temple and practice beyond what is expected of them.  Then there are the journeymen for whom it's just another job.

In my line of work, there are programmers who study all the hours, pay for their own training courses and stay on top of all the industry developments.  Then you have the majority who come in at 9, do their best until 5 then go home and switch off.

52 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Did Le Guen not face a players revolt led by Barry Ferguson and Kris Boyd when he got rid of the Monster Munch vending machine at the training park??? 

I believe they cried about Tomato Sauce being taken out of the canteen as well.

22 minutes ago, The DA said:

I've no reason to believe that footballers are any different from any other group of employees.  You'll have some who are prepared to go the whole hog, treat their body as a temple and practice beyond what is expected of them.  Then there are the journeymen for whom it's just another job.

In my line of work, there are programmers who study all the hours, pay for their own training courses and stay on top of all the industry developments.  Then you have the majority who come in at 9, do their best until 5 then go home and switch off.

That's a very sensible & insightful post.  I feel suitably chastened for not recognizing that footballers are human beings too & not sports automatons.  Maybe I should go & watch this:

robo.jpg

7 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

That's a very sensible & insightful post.  I feel suitably chastened for not recognizing that footballers are human beings too & not sports automatons.  Maybe I should go & watch this:

robo.jpg

🙂 It wasn't a dig at anyone (except maybe Fat Jobby Kris Boyd).  It's just that I think we sometimes expect more from footballers than from ourselves. 

Cruyff, Socrates and Ardilles were all full-on smokers. It didn't do them any harm.  Except that 2 of them are now deid.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure he does but it takes a level of character and leadership to change the culture of a club. Showing off your 6 pack to a bunch of arseholes in their early 20's isn't going to go too far.

I'm more inclined to blame  players who think they're it, we've had it a few times with the monster munch bunch.

Maybe I'm going soft, but the Sportsound pod has been better in the last couple of days. Good / interesting interviews with John Coillins and Steve Clarke, with little or no moon howling.

It may be a coincidence, but Tom English hasn't been on.

51 minutes ago, The DA said:

🙂 It wasn't a dig at anyone (except maybe Fat Jobby Kris Boyd).  It's just that I think we sometimes expect more from footballers than from ourselves. 

Cruyff, Socrates and Ardilles were all full-on smokers. It didn't do them any harm.  Except that 2 of them are now deid.

We absolutely should expect more from footballers in terms of fitness and nutrition etc. It directly impacts their job and it really should be part of their job.

An office worker can be overweight or even obese and they can still do their job fine. That obviously isn't the case for footballers.

Fitness has come on massively since the days of Cruyff et al. Their fantastic talent got them far, but they could have got even further if they took their fitness further. Of the three only Ardilles played more than 10 years and was pretty much done by 33. He played on after that but never more than a few games a season. 

Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world today, and many argue he's the best. A large part of that is how hard he works at his fitness. He's 35 and still going strong and has played more games than any of the previously mentioned players (although I acknowledge that injury did Cruyff in).

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Much better podcast today with Steve Clarke and no Tom English. Even Neil McCann was fine.

Probably because the opportunity for the Hearts job is gone.

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We absolutely should expect more from footballers in terms of fitness and nutrition etc. It directly impacts their job and it really should be part of their job.

An office worker can be overweight or even obese and they can still do their job fine. That obviously isn't the case for footballers.

Fitness has come on massively since the days of Cruyff et al. Their fantastic talent got them far, but they could have got even further if they took their fitness further. Of the three only Ardilles played more than 10 years and was pretty much done by 33. He played on after that but never more than a few games a season. 

Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world today, and many argue he's the best. A large part of that is how hard he works at his fitness. He's 35 and still going strong and has played more games than any of the previously mentioned players (although I acknowledge that injury did Cruyff in).

I'm not saying every footballer should smoke 40 a day and have a pizza for dinner 3 times a week.  Most of them keep themselves in good shape and fitness compared to their age group peers.  

What I'm suggesting is that we shouldn't be expecting every club player to exhibit Ronaldo's levels of commitment.  As a group, I wouldn't expect footballers to be any more driven than a similar group from another profession.

Particularly enjoyed Chick Yong's use of the word 'scribe' to describe football journalists.  Although he may have completed his copy with quill & parchment, by candlelight, in some corner of Paisley Abbey, to the sound of Vespers & the smell of incense, at some point in his career.   

Cristiano Ronaldo has lived his sporting life to perfection. Everything he does is geared to extending his career as long as possible.  His training, his nutrition, his shagging.

He'll probably still have a 6 pack in another 35 years.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Cristiano Ronaldo has lived his sporting life to perfection. Everything he does is geared to extending his career as long as possible.  His training, his nutrition, his shagging.

He'll probably still have a 6 pack in another 35 years.

Hes an intensely boring footballer these days though. He doesnt even look like he enjoys scoring anymore, it's just become a necessity in his life.

Whereas you look at Maradona, Gascoigne and Best, and realise that getting hammered every single day makes you both an incredible footballer and someone who takes joy from playing the game.

Training sessions should involve more vodka, IMO.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Hes an intensely boring footballer these days though. He doesnt even look like he enjoys scoring anymore, it's just become a necessity in his life.

Whereas you look at Maradona, Gascoigne and Best, and realise that getting hammered every single day makes you both an incredible footballer and someone who takes joy from playing the game.

Training sessions should involve more vodka, IMO.

I think he's just bored because he's so good.  He finds scoring 200 goals a season and winning about 80 Champions League titles mundane now.