Sportsound Watch

Not one “contributor” on the show  over the last three months has mentioned the financial impact of a forced & now permanent 14 team premiership (just to save hearts ). Depends on simple maths each club in the bottom 8 of this 14 team top league will lose at least 300k to 500k every year going forward. 

Less prize money

less games against top 6 sides

more meaningless games

less hospitality 

less sponsorship

Then lets talk about  a global pandemic that could cause millions of job losses ...no lets get Neil McCann on to say its no fair...

6 hours ago, blackislekillie said:

I've done the same. Not that it will make any difference but the BBC legal department need to be keeping an eye on this clown and his lack of journalistic objectivity, obvious hatred of certain people and borderline libellous comments. A shitshow of a programme.

I still find it incredible that he has chosen 'this hill to die on'.

This is a guy who was a respected sports journalist and has ruined his reputation in Scotland over tit for tat nonsense in Scottish football, so bizarre.

For a time he was the sane, reasoned voice on Sportsound amongst the usual morons like Young, Bonner, McCann, Miller etc. He would challenge them on their lazy assumptions/cliches that were never usually questioned in the echo chamber that is the Sportsound pals club. But now he is entirely on their level. At the start of this saga I've no doubt he was trying to whip up a story to give himself something to talk about when no other sport was happening. But as it's developed he has become more emotionally involved in it and entrenched on one side of the debate - purely out of stubbornness it seems. As a result he has made a complete fool of himself and lost all credibility amongst the scottish football public. The way he is acting is entirely inappropriate for a person in his position at the BBC.

He is going to look back in a few months and wonder what on earth he was doing getting so emotionally involved on all this. Or at least I hope he does.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I have criticised Richard Gordon a lot in recent times but he made the two most relevant points of the discussion in succession. 

TE: "Dundee get two votes"

RG: "Under company law, if you vote no you have 28 days to reverse that vote"

I am astonished that posters are still perpetuating this myth rather than seeing it for the fiction it is.

22 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I am astonished that posters are still perpetuating this myth rather than seeing it for the fiction it is.

Can you provide me with case law which disproves this?  Hearts & Partick Thistle's legal team were unable to do so but you must know better. 

6 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm

You would think that after this arsehole publicly admitted that he doesn't like football that much, that the BBC would at least make sure he was willing to be diligent in his research and insightful when they put him on air. 

Sadly he very much falls into the stereotypical thick pundit role. There is really no excuse for keeping him on the payroll with his incredibly simplistic analysis.

He should be sacked for that. And the BBC should take (another) long hard look at themselves. 

Used to enjoy listening if I was out in the car or pottering around the house and garden. Not now.  Yesterday was utter fucking cringe.  As mentioned before TE used to be the sane, well researched and articulate one of the lot.  He sounds like hes starting to lose it a wee bit, it's quite sad really, akin to baiting a bear.

What was the point of the sports lawyer boy? Every answer "em.....well...as I see it.....it could go either way"

Fuuuuuuuuck me I could have guessed that. Utter dog shite of a programme now.

Can someone tell me why finishing the season was never an option in Scotland?
Considering football was banned in this country until very recently and the Premiership clubs have only just started to return to training with a view to starting back in August, how would it be possible to finish the current season? That's not even mentioning the cost of testing for lower league clubs.

The uncertainty for clubs is what puts them in financial danger. They all have budgets to decide, players out of contract ect. I don't see how it would have been possible to finish the season, even with hindsight.

12 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

Can someone tell me why finishing the season was never an option in Scotland?

Money.Hearts have been truly shocking about the whole thing. Their arguement is you cant be relegated because you didnt complete all your games, but expect to be saved whilst not playing all their games? Doesnt make sense.

20 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The label 'ill-informed' should now move from Off Th Ball to Sportsound considering the total ignorance of the pundits.

I've been saying this for a while.

If these people are meant to represent the spectrum of views, and containing the 'great and the good' within Scottish football, why is it they are left going "we don't know why people are holding this view" when finding out why people are holding this view is easily found - either by talking directly to club representatives or but perusing forums such like this.

9 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm

You would think that after this arsehole publicly admitted that he doesn't like football that much, that the BBC would at least make sure he was willing to be diligent in his research and insightful when they put him on air. 

Sadly he very much falls into the stereotypical thick pundit role. There is really no excuse for keeping him on the payroll with his incredibly simplistic analysis.

That's really quite astonishing.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Considering football was banned in this country until very recently and the Premiership clubs have only just started to return to training with a view to starting back in August, how would it be possible to finish the current season? That's not even mentioning the cost of testing for lower league clubs.

The uncertainty for clubs is what puts them in financial danger. They all have budgets to decide, players out of contract ect. I don't see how it would have been possible to finish the season, even with hindsight.

That's all very well, but it's still no' fair.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

What was the point of the sports lawyer boy? Every answer "em.....well...as I see it.....it could go either way"

The 'sports lawyer boy' will always be, to me anyway, a dreadful central defender and by co-incidence in this whole sorry affair, a former Hearts player too. I guess the latter was as much  the point as anything.

15 hours ago, ftk said:

You could have 14 team league playing each other 3 times 39 games.

Then add an extra game by playing an extra derby game on the first day of the season.

Rangers v Celtic
Hibs v Hearts
Dundee utd v Aberdeen
Hamilton v Motherwell
Killie v St Mirren
Ross county v Inverness
Livingston v St Johnstone (not a derby but always 1 or 2 that arent)

Gives you 4 old firm games. No silly split total of 40 games.

iDMLTtpmqTuaQ.gif

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Money.Hearts have been truly shocking about the whole thing. Their arguement is you cant be relegated because you didnt complete all your games, but expect to be saved whilst not playing all their games? Doesnt make sense.

😲  "Doesn't make sense" 

But it's ok for other teams that could possibly have finished bottom to "expect to be saved while not playing all their games"

4 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

😲  "Doesn't make sense" 

But it's ok for other teams that could possibly have finished bottom to "expect to be saved while not playing all their games"

Who is that?

If you mean Brechin then... 

Brechin avoid a playoff to see if they stay up or go down. Exactly the same as

Hamilton

Ross County

St. Mirren

QoS

Alloa

Forfar

Peterhead

Who were all in playoff place or could easily have ended up in it. But, but Brechin

The 'sports lawyer boy' will always be, to me anyway, a dreadful central defender and by co-incidence in this whole sorry affair, a former Hearts player too. I guess the latter was as much  the point as anything.
He was rubbish. I saw an awful lot of Aberdeen games in the 90s, and I have one positive memory of him only. I've got a distinct recollection of him scoring directly from a corner at Broomfield.

But on consulting Wiki it seems his only goal for Aberdeen was at Pittodrie v Motherwell.

So even my good memory is tarnished.

His career at Pittodrie from 1990-94 managed to narrowly avoid both the 1990 Scottish Cup and 1995 League Cup wins.

I think his appearance yesterday has resurfaced some inner trauma for me.