Sportsound Watch

28 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Can someone tell me why finishing the season was never an option in Scotland?

We don't get £9.2 million a game telly money for a game with no spectators?

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

Can someone tell me why finishing the season was never an option in Scotland?

1. The government told the SFA teams couldn't train or play until mid-June, so the SFA banned all football activity until 12 June.

2. You need about four weeks from beginning training to play proper games, that means the season couldn't restart until mid-July. That means 2019/20, which had 8/9 games left in the league + playoffs, couldn't have been finished until late August.

3. The new Sky contract is supposed to start on 1 August. Playing 2019/20 until late August would have meant that contract would have been invalidated, and (at best) would have had to be renegotiated. In a terrible economic situation and with Sky having had lord knows how many people cancel their subs since March.

4. This was confirmed after the SPFL made its decisions, but UEFA need entrants for their 2020/21 competitions from countries ranked 16th or below (which includes Scotland) to be submitted by 3rd August. If we hadn't made the decision to curtail, UEFA would now be screaming at us to get the season finished by 3rd August, which we wouldn't be able to do. That's what is happening in Northern Ireland. Their clubs agreed to keep the season open, then voted against two proposals to curtail it, but because of UEFA's deadline they can't physically complete the 2019/20 season. So they're now going to have to curtail the season after all.

Edited by JamesM82

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

We don't get £9.2 million a game telly money for a game with no spectators?

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

There.

Does Latvia, Lithuania, Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Israel, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Romania... I could go on and on.

3 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Does Latvia, Lithuania, Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Israel, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Romania... I could go on and on.

Well we could have copied Belarus and relied on saunas and vodka to deal with Covid19, and let fans in to pay the players wages. Our government didn't allow it though.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

1. The government told the SFA teams couldn't train or play until mid-June, so the SFA banned all football activity until 12 June.

2. You need about four weeks from beginning training to play proper games, that means the season couldn't restart until mid-July. That means 2019/20, which had 8/9 games left in the league + playoffs, couldn't have been finished until late August.

3. The new Sky contract is supposed to start on 1 August. Playing 2019/20 until late August would have meant that contract would have been invalidated, and (at best) would have had to be renegotiated. In a terrible economic situation and with Sky having had lord knows how many people having cancelled their subs since March.

4. This was confirmed after the SPFL made its decisions, but UEFA now need entrants for their 2020/21 competitions from countries ranked 16th or below (including Scotland) to be submitted by 3rd August. If we hadn't made that decision, UEFA would now be screaming at us to get the season finished by 3rd August, which we wouldn't be able to do. That's what is happening in Northern Ireland - their clubs agreed to keep the season open, then voted against two proposals to curtail it, but because of UEFA's deadline they can't physically complete the 2019/20 season. So they're now going to have to curtail the season after all.

I wonder if someone could tell football pundit Steven Thomson, especially point 4. Really grinds my gears that those paid to speak and report on football lack the facts that fans with non football/sport journalist jobs know. In the days of instant research via the internet there is no excuse!

2 hours ago, ftk said:

You could have 14 team league playing each other 3 times 39 games.

Then add an extra game by playing an extra derby game on the first day of the season.

Rangers v Celtic
Hibs v Hearts
Dundee utd v Aberdeen
Hamilton v Motherwell
Killie v St Mirren
Ross county v Inverness
Livingston v St Johnstone (not a derby but always 1 or 2 that arent)

Gives you 4 old firm games. No silly split total of 40 games.

FFS.  Why not make it a 15 team league and make each team play the Harlem Globetrotters at ping pong at a random point during the season.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

FFS.  Why not make it a 15 team league and make each team play the Harlem Globetrotters at ping pong at a random point during the season.

Then make Neil Doncaster and Ann Budge see who can eat the most kittens to decide if Brechin get relegated without a 3 game playoff.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

John Collins - 'Why should you let people that haven't played football make decisions?'

Did I just hear that correctly?! Because Scottish football is largely funded by those people you absolute fucking whopper.

Despise this argument, and always have done.

Bill Struth is the most decorated Scottish manager of all time in terms of league titles, yet never played a game of football professionally. 

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bill Struth is the most decorated Scottish manager of all time in terms of league titles, yet never played a game of football professionally. 

I put that down to Struth's hiring process. Killing the incumbent and getting away with it shows just the right mix of determination, tactical skulduggery and psychopathy required to get ahead in football management.

It's just a shame that Donald Findlay didn't share the same viewpoint as Tom English the last time he was on the programme, otherwise he might have been invited back on to outline Hearts' & Partick's petition.  He may be a bigot, but at least he'd be more fluent than David Winnie, bloody hell!

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I put that down to Struth's hiring process. Killing the incumbent and getting away with it shows just the right mix of determination, tactical skulduggery and psychopathy required to get ahead in football management.

So Fredo's death in Godfather II was a homage to Bill Struth?  Wonders never cease.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

I wonder if someone could tell football pundit Steven Thomson, especially point 4. Really grinds my gears that those paid to speak and report on football lack the facts that fans with non football/sport journalist jobs know. In the days of instant research via the internet there is no excuse!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm

You would think that after this arsehole publicly admitted that he doesn't like football that much, that the BBC would at least make sure he was willing to be diligent in his research and insightful when they put him on air. 

Sadly he very much falls into the stereotypical thick pundit role. There is really no excuse for keeping him on the payroll with his incredibly simplistic analysis.

14 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-dont-really-like-football-that-much-and-i-dont-miss-it-it-is-never-on-the-tv-in-our-house-never-gppmh9dvm

You would think that after this arsehole publicly admitted that he doesn't like football that much, that the BBC would at least make sure he was willing to be diligent in his research and insightful when they put him on air. 

Sadly he very much falls into the stereotypical thick pundit role. There is really no excuse for keeping him on the payroll with his incredibly simplistic analysis.

Admitting he's a no voter as well. Fsfs.

Some of the greatest managers never played at the top level.

Some of the best ever players were horrendous managers.