Sportsound Watch

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tom English now saying that there's a 'misogynistic tone' to calling Ann Budge an idiot. Holy f**k.

Utter desperation and very telling from English.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

English is a fucking clown who tries to talk better than what he is. 

He's certainly been outed as far less clever than he made out before this all kicked off.  I didn't expect him to match Findlay, but he is in the communication game and I thought he should do better than that. I suppose it's easier to write it down when your under no pressure or your competition is Packie Bonner and Neil McCann.

12 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Findlay - 'why are we going around in circles?....I've stated that at least 3 times'  😄

Tom English demanding Findlay to state how many clubs will be ready by October.  How the f**k can he give an indication now? Findlay - 'I'm sorry, that is just a pointless question'; and he is right, it is! and Tom just goes on and on.....

I wasn't sure what point English was trying to make.  What if Findlay had said '13 clubs will be ready', where would English have gone next?

54 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Sent an angry license fee payer from Auchtermuchty complaint in. :whistle

I can understand the value of occasional opinion pieces to break the monotony of impartiality, but Tom English's one man campaign on behalf of Hearts and Ann Budge has taken it to a whole new level and is making the BBC look ridiculous. His attempts to shout down any alternate view, unimpeded by presenters, was exemplified in yesterday's Sportsound podcast, where Donald Findlay was trying to put over a measured position against reconstruction at this time, continually interrupted by a more and more hysterical Tom English. This latest campaigning piece reads like a press statement from Tynecastle's PR department after one too many. There is zero attempt at offering an explanation of the counter view, instead he takes one line from Roy MacGregor with no context to make him look spiteful, with no reference to his reasoning why the proposed form of restructuring would not be in Ross County's and other clubs' interests. This follows on from his uncritical support for the Rangers campaign against Neil Doncaster and their dodgy dossier. There is nothing wrong with your Chief Sports Writer doing the odd opinion piece, it's what he's paid for, but this is full blown campaigning for one team.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's heard a few chairmen say they have sympathy with Hearts and translated it into 'this is the greatest footballing injustice seen in British football for a generation' and that clubs have just voted to carry it out.

The truth is that clubs were open to 'righting a wrong' as long as it balanced out with their own needs and met certain requirements of a reconstruction, both for themselves and the game as a whole. No reconstruction proposal came close to doing that.

Why? Because permanent reconstruction isn't something you can chuck together in a few weeks. This was obvious from day 1.

I didn't want reconstruction in any form. But I would have said that the one option that was never explored was the 14, 10, 10, 10 for a maximum of 2 seasons. It's still shite,  but from the point of view of the clubs that might have worked. Permanent reconstruction was never going to be accepted in a month of Sundays.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

I wasn't sure what point English was trying to make.  What if Findlay had said '13 clubs will be ready', where would English have gone next?

It was a completely circuitous argument.  If DF had said something like 13 he would immediately have asked, right, what if some of those 13 turn out they cant play in October? eh?! whit then?! it was really WTF style questioning as if DF was Nostrodamus.  Of course it was all to do with 'fairness', which was irrelevant to the broader issue of trying to define a start point for a season.  Really brutal, badly thought out questions that no one in the conversation could answer.  Tom on the other hand reckons he has nailed some major point.

3 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

It was a completely circuitous argument.  If DF had said something like 13 he would immediately have asked, right, what if some of those 13 turn out they cant play in October? eh?! whit then?! it was really WTF style questioning as if DF was Nostrodamus.  Of course it was all to do with 'fairness', which was irrelevant to the broader issue of trying to define a start point for a season.  Really brutal, badly thought out questions that no one in the conversation could answer.  Tom on the other hand reckons he has nailed some major point.

So he was saying 'you can't put Hearts into a league that might not play any games - they might go bust.  Will no one think of the children?'?

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I didn't want reconstruction in any form. But I would have said that the one option that was never explored was the 14, 10, 10, 10 for a maximum of 2 seasons. It's still shite,  but from the point of view of the clubs that might have worked. Permanent reconstruction was never going to be accepted in a month of Sundays.

That would mean around a quarter of teams, 3 or 4 depending on playoffs, being demoted after 22/23. Doubt that would have been sold 11/1.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I was more thinking of defending some beast child sex murderer or something. I realise somebody would likely take it on the basis that any publicity can be good for your career, but can the judge order somebody to take the case in the theoretical event that nobody volunteers?

England has the cab-rank rule, which compels barristers to take cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab-rank_rule

I don’t know if Scotland has a similar rule, or if “nobody wants the case, get Donald on the blower” suffices. 

Edited by The Master

I'll not lie, when all this kicked off I honestly just thought English was being intentionally thick for clicks. Basically an anti-SPFL 'there's a conspiracy' stance would play better in terms of traffic than siding with the league body.

As it turns out he seems to have fully committed to drinking the Kool Aid. Either that or he's on the payroll at Tynecastle.

The podcast yesterday with him and Levein flailing around yelling "it's not fair" was actually painful

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Findlay wasn't great as he never had to get out of second gear. English made a rip roaring c**t of it. Levein was like the mate who stands beside you saying stupid shite that you can't keep under control. You end up with a hiding while he walks away unscathed.

Lucky for English and Levein.

Furthermore - "Ross County were in freefall and Hearts picked up more points in 2020 than they did". Pity Hearts hadn't picked up a few more points in 2019, then.

English is done.

He'll never recover from this because who is honestly going to respect his opinion after all this? 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

English is done.

He'll never recover from this because who is honestly going to respect his opinion after all this? 

Chick Young, Jim Spence & Jim Traynor (Until he left in a tear stained breakdown - only to get a better paid job) have all been on BBC radio for 20+ year.

Having a respected opinion isn't part of the job description for a BBC Scottish football pundit.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

English is done.

Maybe he's hoping to take up the equivalent of Jabba Traynor's role at Tynecastle.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Chick Young, Jim Spence & Jim Traynor (Until he left in a tear stained breakdown - only to get a better paid job) have all been on BBC radio for 20+ year.

Having a respected opinion isn't part of the job description for a BBC Scottish football pundit.

I cant think of any of them who have had such a breakdown, over so many platforms, to this degree.

Some of his tweets are arguably worse than what he says on the radio.

15 minutes ago, nsr said:

Maybe he's hoping to take up the equivalent of Jabba Traynor's role at Tynecastle.

I know you are being funny, but it has crossed my mind too.

He really has jumped the shark

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I was more thinking of defending some beast child sex murderer or something. I realise somebody would likely take it on the basis that any publicity can be good for your career, but can the judge order somebody to take the case in the theoretical event that nobody volunteers?

Not really, but as @Jacksgranda points out above, as well as the thrill of beating their golf buddies in the courtroom, there is the not inconsiderable vastness of the cash on offer.

The guys that defended the Lockerbie bombers will have made fortunes.