Sportsound Watch

28 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Would you knock the money back on that basis? 

Neil Doncaster’s statement mentioned surprise at no strings. 

sounds like it was previously implied it was attached with strings, such as.....“if we stay in premiership our benefactors will provide funding for lower teams”

29 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

If there genuinely is a group of people willing to put 7 figures into Scottish football, on a no strings attached basis and don’t expect to ever see their money back...where have they been hiding? Have they just landed from 30 years exploring the outer reaches of our solar system, apparently with millions of pounds in their pocket, that they are absolutely desperate to spend. 

I love Scottish football as much as anyone but it’s hardly the best investment opportunity, and if you don’t have an emotional attachment to it I struggle to see anyone willing to fire that kind of money in looking for no return.  

3 minutes ago, flood said:

Neil Doncaster’s statement mentioned surprise at no strings. 

sounds like it was previously implied it was attached with strings, such as.....“if we stay in premiership our benefactors will provide funding for lower teams”

Let's be honest - that probably had been implied, but today she said 'no strings' - I can't see how she can go back on that.

That's not what I mean, though - I'm asking whether folk would knock it back if the potential funders wanted Budge to speak for them. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If there genuinely is a group of people willing to put 7 figures into Scottish football, on a no strings attached basis and don’t expect to ever see their money back...where have they been hiding?

They've been doing exactly that to Heart of Midlothian football club for the past three years. It could be that they intend to help Hearts with this money in a more indirect way, by either using it as a last ditch attempt to influence reconstruction, despite the 'no strings attached' statements by Queen Anne, or, failing that, to at least keep Hearts' Championship rivals alive long enough to keep the league going next season (and throw some crumbs at Leagues One and Two for appearance's sake).

Edited by Aim Here

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Probably closer to George Street, m8 - maybe the West End? 

I don’t know Edinburgh too well so that’s lost on me. I used to work at the Scotrail depot beside Murrayfield and went for my lunch on Gorgie Road, lovely view of the new stand in that neck of the woods. 

12 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

They've been doing exactly that to Heart of Midlothian football club for the past three years. It could be that they intend to help Hearts with this money in a more indirect way, by either using it as a last ditch attempt to influence reconstruction, despite the 'no strings attached' statements by Queen Anne, or, failing that, to at least keep Hearts' Championship rivals alive long enough to keep the league going next season (and throw some crumbs at Leagues One and Two for appearance's sake).

I will believe it when I see it, but even the guy that won over £100 million on the lottery didn’t write off his money firing 7 figures into Patrick Thistle. People with that kind of money usually expect to see some sort of return on it. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I will believe it when I see it, but even the guy that won over £100 million on the lottery didn’t write off his money firing 7 figures into Patrick Thistle. People with that kind of money usually expect to see some sort of return on it. 

Well you can see £8.75 million worth of 'exceptional donations', with, according to Ann Budge, no strings attached other than a relaxation of the boardroom dress code, in the last three years of Heart of Midlothian's accounts via the companieshouse website if you like. Whether they're inclined to throw the moneypot open to the rest of Scottish fitba' is a different story, but it's not entirely implausible.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Let's be honest - that probably had been implied, but today she said 'no strings' - I can't see how she can go back on that.

That's not what I mean, though - I'm asking whether folk would knock it back if the potential funders wanted Budge to speak for them. 

Any potential benefactors that wanted to support lower league Scottish football could go on google and get names and phone numbers of every club in about 5 minutes ...

To wrap it around the reconstruction proposal, which is now just for discussion as she knows it won’t pass, smacks of desperation 

Edited by flood

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Well you can see £8.75 million worth of 'exceptional donations', with, according to Ann Budge, no strings attached other than a relaxation of the boardroom dress code, in the last three years of Heart of Midlothian's accounts via the companieshouse website if you like. Whether they're inclined to throw the moneypot open to the rest of Scottish fitba' is a different story, but it's not entirely implausible.

Fair enough. Must be a real charitable bunch that Budge has got there. I’m no accountant but 8.75 million seems like a hell of an amount for a Scottish club out with the OF. Was that the amount donated in the past financial year or over a longer period? 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Fair enough. Must be a real charitable bunch that Budge has got there. I’m no accountant but 8.75 million seems like a hell of an amount for a Scottish club out with the OF. Was that the amount donated in the past financial year or over a longer period? 

It's over the course of the last three sets of accounts, some of it earmarked for players, while some of it would have been intended for helping complete the main stand.

4 minutes ago, flood said:

Any potential benefactors that wanted to support lower league Scottish football could go on google and get namers and phone numbers of every club in about 5 minutes 

They're clearly doing it because they're friendly with Budge, or have a liking of Hearts. 

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

It's over the course of the last three sets of accounts, some of it earmarked for players, while some of it would have been intended for helping complete the main stand.

And it should also be said that - due to the arrangement between Budge and FoH, the benefactors are not (indeed can not) getting a return on this money - it has literally been sunk forever.

So, on the basis that they want to do exactly the same for the lower leagues (even if the "string" was that they had to use the money to play closed doors games) then I say Why Not?

8 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Personally, no. Professionally, yes.

Her claim that this money is ready to be handed out is bad enough, but to expect another organisation to accept money from a 3rd party through an intermediary should have alarm bells ringing.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Personally, no. Professionally, yes.

Her claim that this money is ready to be handed out is bad enough, but to expect another organisation to accept money from a 3rd party through an intermediary should have alarm bells ringing.

It sums up Scottish football's attitude to money...here take this, dont ask any questions, trust me. This at the highest levels of clubs involved says a hell of a lot.

This 'philanthropists' episode is the strangest twist in the global pandemic since BBC Alba picked up the ladies Bundesliga.

I'm not sure why it was so abhorrent that the SPFL wanted some clarity about mystery investors wanting to hand over multiple millions to the game out of the good of their hearts (no pun intended).

It actually struck me as quite a cheap tactic from Budge to smear Doncaster etc. 'I emailed them with an offer of 'FREE MONEY' and I can't even get them to move on that' knowing full well that isn't how things work in the real world but that 'Biscuits & Co' would absolutely lap it up.

These guys may be absolutely genuine but Ann Budge knows fine well that a formal process would need to be followed.