Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't doubt that Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

I also don't doubt that he's a Sevco fan, and was a fan of the old, dead Rangers.

He is on record talking about adopting St Mirren in adult life (father in law?). But his nose is also quite blue.

14 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

He is on record talking about adopting St Mirren in adult life (father in law?). But his nose is also quite blue.

He claims he was a Hearts fan as a youngster.

I don't think he's ever claimed to be a Rangers fan but his reporting would suggest so.

15 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I think it was his step dad. He's mentioned it on the radio a few times over the years.

As I said, I don't doubt that he is a St Mirren, and I also don't doubt that he's a Rangers/Sevco fan.

I don't think he's ever claimed to be a Rangers fan but his reporting would suggest so.
He's full of shit and if it wasn't for Only an Excuse he'd have been an utter nobody in Scotland.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
8 minutes ago, Ric said:

He's full of shit and if it wasn't for Only an Excuse he'd have been an utter nobody in Scotland.

He's had his moments but they've been rare, and getting rarer. The one benefit is that he's not a bitter ranting nutter conspiracy type, more the rambling pointless comment one, which at least means you can ignore him rather than get annoyed by him.

It's fair to say that the pool of available "pundits" within Scottish media, he's not the worst but that's damning with faint praise.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

They take turns annually at putting forward a representative for election to the SPFL Board - all 12 teams vote on who their 3 reps should be 

The alternative might be worse. They'd increase the board by one and insist they both get on it.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You would think it listening to him commentate on Aberdeen games though.

I don't listen to Aberdeen games on the radio. Have tried to stop myself from vomiting listening to him getting excited as Celtic score a last minute winner against Hamilton though.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Rob McLean claimed to be a Ross County fan on Off The Ball the other week.

Liam genuinely is/was a Dons fan. I have pals who were at school with him.

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Was listening to Clyde phone in on the way home from work yesterday and some mutant, Stewart from Renfrew I think it was, phoned in to say that Celtic getting the potential Champions League money along with being ‘given’ the title, was unfair to Rangers as they are trying to close the financial gap. When he was asked how he would dish out the European places apart from using the league standing, he said Doncaster got paid enough money to come up with something. 

To the surprise of nobody, none of the half wits on Clyde brought up the fact that Motherwell can actually still catch Rangers for 2nd place. Admittedly it would need Rangers to lose every remaining game and for Motherwell to win them all, but still a mathematic possibility, as has been Rangers fans argument for the past few weeks. I’m sure that argument hasn’t even registered in the heads of any Clyde pundit, or Sportsound for that matter. It’s genuinely saddening in this country that every single matter is reduced to Rangers V Celtic, the pundits actively champion it. 

I also read the other day that the Old Firm take turns annually of having a member on the SPFL board... does that not seem absolutely absurd to anyone else? Why not Hearts and Hibs taking turns each for a seat? Aberdeen and Dundee United? Kilmarnock and Ayr? St Mirren and Morton? The game panders to these two clubs at every turn and all we hear from their mutant supporters is that everyone and everything is out to get them. 

Is there some irony in your mild questioning of Celtic's role in the sadder and absurd aspects of our football and your name?

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You would think it listening to him commentate on Aberdeen games though.

Fair comment.  I actually find him more annoying when he’s presenting the current midweek Sportsound. He often interrupts the guest by making some comment which really adds nothing to the discussion. And very often these comments are something to do with Aberdeen.  ,eg  someone mentioned that Hibs have sold 7.000 season tickets and was still talking and McLeod butted in just to say that Aberdeen had sold a lot as well.  Pointless interruption .

The most biased supposedly neutral commentary I’ve ever heard on a match between two Scottish teams , was from John Barnes on the fairly recent cup replay between Killie and the Dons.  The high point being when he gave up any pretence of impartiality by shouting. “Aw, come on ref !!!!....that has to be a booking !!!!”  after he thought a Killie player had been fouled.

It was only after that game that I found out he does have some connection with Killie.

20 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

They take turns annually at putting forward a representative for election to the SPFL Board - all 12 teams vote on who their 3 reps should be 

Are there any other clubs in the set up that this applies to? Genuine question as I don’t know, but it seems strange that two sworn rivals would act together to take turns. We’ve seen examples of them working together when lobbying for ‘B’ teams in the lower leagues and in the collection of away ticket monies a few seasons ago. The 11-1 voting structure is something I’ve always believed to exclusively benefit the OF as well. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Naa Gordon Duncan is a genuine ‘Well fan. He did a podcast with [mention=12133]AndyRoss[/mention] a few weeks ago where they discussed it all - and actually covered his thoughts on when callers, twitter users etc call him a closet Celtic/Rangers fan. 

Gordon played for a few of my mates’ amateur team so I’ve met him a few times. He’s definitely a ‘Well fan and he seems a sound guy as well.

I’ve actually been listening to Superscoreboard’s podcast from Thursdays because the quizzes they’ve been doing are quite good.

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are there any other clubs in the set up that this applies to? Genuine question as I don’t know, but it seems strange that two sworn rivals would act together to take turns. We’ve seen examples of them working together when lobbying for ‘B’ teams in the lower leagues and in the collection of away ticket monies a few seasons ago. The 11-1 voting structure is something I’ve always believed to exclusively benefit the OF as well. 

No - there are no other such arrangements although premier reps generally are spread so that you have one Old Firm, one from the established clubs and one from those who may flit more regularly between premier and championship as these are groupings that attract support from fellow clubs in those categories to allow a breadth of representation covering the varied perspectives.  

Fair comment.  I actually find him more annoying when he’s presenting the current midweek Sportsound. He often interrupts the guest by making some comment which really adds nothing to the discussion. And very often these comments are something to do with Aberdeen.  ,eg  someone mentioned that Hibs have sold 7.000 season tickets and was still talking and McLeod butted in just to say that Aberdeen had sold a lot as well.  Pointless interruption .
The most biased supposedly neutral commentary I’ve ever heard on a match between two Scottish teams , was from John Barnes on the fairly recent cup replay between Killie and the Dons.  The high point being when he gave up any pretence of impartiality by shouting. “Aw, come on ref !!!!....that has to be a booking !!!!”  after he thought a Killie player had been fouled.
It was only after that game that I found out he does have some connection with Killie.

Barnes is a Killie fan and similarly does a terrible job of being impartial when we're involved.

8 hours ago, A96 said:

Never hidden it to be fair.

Surprised that Rangers and Celtic act together to carve up Scottish fitba to their benefit? Come on now.

51 minutes ago, resk said:
9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Surprised that Rangers and Celtic act together to carve up Scottish fitba to their benefit? Come on now.

It was celtic and Aberdeen who acted together to carve up Scottish fitba. 

Edited by bennett