Sportsound Watch

Does anyone really think that Tom English Sportsounds campaign to keep Hearts in the league fight for truth and justice for LL and HL clubs will actually come to anything?

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't really agree that makes it a significantly different scenario. Whilst it is obviously true that, say Airdrie, could have been better and been top of the league, at the start of the competition there was 1 automatic promotion spot and one play-off winner promotion spot. That was the rules at the start of the season just as it was to give the LL/HL a promotion play-off. The fact they have been removed means it is unfair on the relevant clubs. I could equally spin it the other way and say Airdrie were disadvantaged more because we were done out of potential automatic promotion, plus play-offs, whereas Kelty and Brora were just done out a play-off place. 

The issue you mention about lack of promotion/relegation from tier 4 to 5 is a real issue and does mean the current system is inherently unfair on LL/HL trying to get up. But that is different to judging which teams have been unfairly disadvantaged in this particular scenario. Kelty and Brora, just like all the clubs I mentioned were in exactly the same scenario, yet those 2 seem to be getting a huge amount more coverage and sympathy.

Ironic that it is only an issue now.   No one batted an eye lid for the past few seasons (not even the LL/or HL clubs ) since the inception of the pyramid . I personally don't see an issue with automatic relegation from League 2 and am a little surprised that it wasn't negotiated right at the start.  

A lot of very wise people now though. 

25 minutes ago, gogsy said:

They had played one more game than Bonnyrigg with 4 and 5 games to play respectively. Keltys next two games were against Edinburgh Uni (14th place in the league) and Cumbernauld 9th) They would have finished with a game against an absolutely brutal Berwick team. A draw against Bonnyrigg would have been enough to win the league even if Bonnyrigg had won all their other games. So very close to winning the title. Closer than Raith Rovers anyway .

1. @ Edinburgh University
  2.  Cumbernauld Colts (the only team to beat them in the Lowland League by the way)
  3. @ Bonnyrigg Rose
  4. @ BSC Glasgow
  5. Berwick Rangers

Not impossible to imagine Bonnyrigg and BSC getting wins and someone else playing spoiler.

8 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Ironic that it is only an issue now.   No one batted an eye lid for the past few seasons (not even the LL/or HL clubs ) since the inception of the pyramid . I personally don't see an issue with automatic relegation from League 2 and am a little surprised that it wasn't negotiated right at the start.  

Certainly not claiming to be wise now. This whole saga is getting fans to think about and discuss issues they previously wouldn't have because they are usually focused on issues surrounding their own club, particularly issues relating to fairness which requires looking at the whole league setup. I think that's a good thing and if that is properly harnessed then maybe some good can come out of this. Unfortunately I suspect it will be a never ending tit for tat that gets us nowhere.

I've always thought that there should be automatic relegation for at least one side, with a play-off deciding who comes up. The bottom club in every other league goes straight down, seems inconsistent that the bottom League 2 side doesn't.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

42 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

To the couple of posters that asked why the Lowland League hadn't mentioned any pressure from the SPFL/SFA until now - the story broke back in March on our Official Catchup podcast and got some low-level media coverage (the press aren't too bothered with Tier 5 news naturally).

Brechin didn't advocate a change in the rules when Montrose could have been relegated to the Highland. Why should they have been treated differently to go into the Lowland if losing the playoff? A clear case of their chairman "making the most" of his board position.

The Brechin witch hunt continues on the basis of alleged stories and rumour.  I only hope the people making the accusations have the guts to follow up the allegations with real evidence. 

2 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Honestly you only have to look back to when zombie Rangers were parachuted into the bottom tier to get a sense of what the posturing buffoons in the fourth estate think of the lower levels of the domestic game. Keevins, Spiers, Traynor etc all lined up to state how much dross there was at what was our level then and how embarrassing it all was...I do remember most people chuckling when the zombies couldn't beat Peterhead in their first ever league game at Balmoor.

It's hardly making an earth shattering observation to state that these gasbags could not give a single f**k about anything below the top flight (they cared about United in the Championship and will do too about Hertz whenever football resumes), and any belated miraculous interest in fairness for the HL / LL is just window dressing for much bigger agendas (Tom English has been on a very bizarre one since the pandemic started).

Cynically i'd say these internecine disputes are manna from heaven for Sportsound- if everyone had shrugged and accepted their fate, with the SPFL actually capable of managing football properly, they wouldn't actually have very much to talk about.

Also agree with posters above that the SPFL come out of this badly and if these allegations are true then Ken Ferguson would have to resign. Then again, resigning for impropriety is a very quaint and old-fashioned thing to do these days.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

A vintage listen.

I would be more than happy to stick a tenner in for Hearts taking everyone to court. Cracking entertainment.

Get a crowdfunder on the go. Scrap SKY and donate to Hearts charity court campaign instead.

20 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Ironic that it is only an issue now.  No one batted an eye lid for the past few seasons (not even the LL/or HL clubs ) since the inception of the pyramid . I personally don't see an issue with automatic relegation from League 2 and am a little surprised that it wasn't negotiated right at the start.  

If you've been paying attention, the Highland & Lowland Leagues have been banging this drum constantly over the last couple of years. Automatic relegation from League 2 is the stated aim.

10 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The Brechin witch hunt continues on the basis of alleged stories and rumour.  I only hope the people making the accusations have the guts to follow up the allegations with real evidence. 

I suspect we'll see further developments on this next week.

1 hour ago, kent_don said:

Billy Dodds cup final memories - 4-0 when Leighton got booted in the face. Orange final in memory of the Dutch boys 😂😂

Dodds is the typical wee man Scottish coward who followed the old, dead Rangers due to glory seeking reasons and who was such a wee shitebag that he felt playing for the old, dead Rangers was the pinnacle of things. He's a dime a dozen and an absolute moron utterly lacking in ambition.

Edited by DA Baracus

25 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Let's hear Doncaster's side of it, then. 

He said they had a couple of meeting so it wasn't feck off you're no getting in,I would think it was a board decision not just Don Neilcaster.
But the egg chaser will point his finger because it suits his agenda just like you did.
Moving the goalposts for the HL/LL has pissed them off and I can see why, he also said the SFA haven't called the play-offs yet just like the Scottish cup.
So it will be interesting if the SFA take the SPFL to task over this decision at a later date.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Dodds is the typical wee man Scottish coward who followed the old, dead Rangers due to glory seeking reasons and who was such a wee shitebag that he felt playing for the old, dead Rangers was the pinnacle of things. He's a dime a dozen and an absolute moron utterly lacking in ambition.

It's not a surprise An EBT player picking an EBT game. 

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Further evidence  of shady behaviour from SPFL officials, though - that's not a good look.

rangers will be altering the appendices of their dossier as we speak.

Uew matron!

Left work on Saturday just as the programme started so had it on for the drive home and it didn’t disappoint. Listened to the rest in the house but it descended into a shouting match at times. I understand that they aren’t broadcasting from a studio but you would think grown men would have the ability to allow one person to speak at a time, and allow questions that have been asked to be answered. 

Also, I must have heard Willie Miller say the phrase ‘if I’m understanding this correctly’ about 15 times. He was basically farting a statement out, completely unaware wether it was a legitimate argument or not, and then stating after it ‘if I’m understanding this correctly’. I don’t know what Miller spends his days doing during lockdown, but personally if I was appearing on a radio show at some point in the future I would try and get myself clued up enough on the facts that I didn’t need to keep repeating the phrase ‘if im understanding this correctly’. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Left work on Saturday just as the programme started so had it on for the drive home and it didn’t disappoint. Listened to the rest in the house but it descended into a shouting match at times. I understand that they aren’t broadcasting from a studio but you would think grown men would have the ability to allow one person to speak at a time, and allow questions that have been asked to be answered. 

Also, I must have heard Willie Miller say the phrase ‘if I’m understanding this correctly’ about 15 times. He was basically farting a statement out, completely unaware wether it was a legitimate argument or not, and then stating after it ‘if I’m understanding this correctly’. I don’t know what Miller spends his days doing during lockdown, but personally if I was appearing on a radio show at some point in the future I would try and get myself clued up enough on the facts that I didn’t need to keep repeating the phrase ‘if im understanding this correctly’. 

So if I'm understanding this correctly, nothing has changed from last week, hes still a lost, old doddery relic of a bygone era.

I mean f**k me, even old Archie could string some sense together 1 in 3 sentences.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

1 hour ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, nothing has changed from last week, hes still a lost, old doddery relic of a bygone era.

I mean f**k me, even old Archie could string some sense together 1 in 3 sentences.

It’s a bad day when Patrick Bonner is coming across as one of the more intelligent members of the panel. Also noticed something that a poster had mentioned a few pages back, that Michael Stewart starts most of his statements with ‘this is something I’ve been saying for weeks’.