Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Subs weren't allowed at all until the 1970s, then it was one per team, then two, and so on. If a goalkeeper (or any player) got injured in the past then it was just a case of chucking someone else on in their place and rejigging things.

 

The notion of have lots of subs for every position is a modern thing.

Keith Peacock, the first substitute in England, came on to replace an injured goalkeeper in August 1965.

As already mentioned Archie Gemmill was the first sub in Scotland, in August 1966, replacing Jim Clunie.

Subs were only allowed to be used to replace injured players in the early days, rather than for tactical reasons.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:

Keith Peacock, the first substitute in England, came on to replace an injured goalkeeper in August 1965.

As already mentioned Archie Gemmill was the first sub in Scotland, in August 1966, replacing Jim Clunie.

Subs were only allowed to be used to replace injured players in the early days, rather than for tactical reasons.

 

 

Keith's son was Gavin Peacock, who played for Chelsea and Newcastle.  He was perhaps best known for being a Christian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:

Keith Peacock, the first substitute in England, came on to replace an injured goalkeeper in August 1965.

As already mentioned Archie Gemmill was the first sub in Scotland, in August 1966, replacing Jim Clunie.

Subs were only allowed to be used to replace injured players in the early days, rather than for tactical reasons.

 

 

Raith v Queen of the South sectional League Cup tie at Stark's Park on Saturday 18th August 1973

Dno4DuAX4AE_jv9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Keith's son was Gavin Peacock, who played for Chelsea and Newcastle.  He was perhaps best known for being a Christian.

Gavin Peacock scored the winner in both games when Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 home and away in the Premier League in (I think) the 93-94 season. Utd won the league regardless, and pumped Chelsea 4-0 in the FA Cup final (when Peacock rattled the bar with a cracking volley, if memory serves me right). 

Anyway, Sportsound. Shite sometimes, eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Gavin Peacock scored the winner in both games when Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 home and away in the Premier League in (I think) the 93-94 season. Utd won the league regardless, and pumped Chelsea 4-0 in the FA Cup final (when Peacock rattled the bar with a cracking volley, if memory serves me right). 

Anyway, Sportsound. Shite sometimes, eh? 

I think it was 0-0 at the time when he hit the bar too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Heather Dewar there, Alloa are looking to take all three points today against Inverness in order to progress to the next round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Master said:

According to Heather Dewar there, Alloa are looking to take all three points today against Inverness in order to progress to the next round. 

Same old Alloa, always trying to cheat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan Preston sounded like he came in his pants when Hearts scored........

Why does that fat p***k always get to commentate on his own teams matches (same with Miller/Bonner), rather bizarre? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Alan Preston sounded like he came in his pants when Hearts scored........

Why does that fat p***k always get to commentate on his own teams matches (same with Miller/Bonner), rather bizarre? 

They've been doing it for years.

If they have a pundit who is closely linked to a certain club, they'll cover that club either on open all mics or as a co-commentator. 

But they then go further and assume that because a pundit is linked to a club in a certain part of Scotland, they're an expert on all clubs within a certain radius.  I'm around 75% certain that Willie Miller be one of the co-commentators at Dens later because he always turns up on Dundee and/or Dundee Utd games because of his Aberdeen connections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time listening to open all mics for a while - annoyances are Kenny MacIntyre saying home team and away team instead of the clubs names when Livi got a penalty, and whoever is at Tynecastle has their mic giving too much background/PA noise meaning you can hardly hear other people.

Edited by Ginaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

The lassie at St Johnstone didn’t sound like she’d watched a game of football before.

Should have had Eilidh Barbour covering the Saints game, let's be honest she's covers f*cking everything else, regardless of the channel its on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not actually Sportsound, but on Radio Scotland News this morning, Liam McLeod was invited to offer his expert analysis of why the Scottish Cup has such appeal.  He started off by saying it's the "World's oldest football competition".  Utter shite - it's not even this island's.

I do believe it's the oldest continuously contested physical trophy, but that's not the same thing.  Of course, his crap went typically unchallenged.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First time listening to open all mics for a while - annoyances are Kenny MacIntyre saying home team and away team instead of the clubs names when Livi got a penalty, and whoever is at Tynecastle has their mic giving too much background/PA noise meaning you can hardly hear other people.
Aye same here. Was a good few minutes till had a slightest idea who had scored a penalty against who. Absolutely useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Green Day said:

Alan Preston sounded like he came in his pants when Hearts scored........

Why does that fat p***k always get to commentate on his own teams matches (same with Miller/Bonner), rather bizarre? 

Alan Preston is a Hearts fan in the same way that Chick Young is St Mirren. He's literally spent Stendel's entire NAZI REGIME crying that one of his pals didn't get the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Master said:

They've been doing it for years.

If they have a pundit who is closely linked to a certain club, they'll cover that club either on open all mics or as a co-commentator. 

But they then go further and assume that because a pundit is linked to a club in a certain part of Scotland, they're an expert on all clubs within a certain radius.  I'm around 75% certain that Willie Miller be one of the co-commentators at Dens later because he always turns up on Dundee and/or Dundee Utd games because of his Aberdeen connections. 

Called it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean but is it not just more cost effective and efficient to have a pundit to cover a certain area and expect them to gen up a bit on the teams in that area.

I appreciate Derek Ferguson has a soft spot for Accies (obviously not his main team) but he sees enough of Motherwell to be able to comment knowledgably on them. It's not always easy on the ear but he at least knows who the players are. If Willie Miller can't do the same for the Dundee clubs they should just bin him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Alan Preston is a Hearts fan in the same way that Chick Young is St Mirren. He's literally spent Stendel's entire NAZI REGIME crying that one of his pals didn't get the job.

I know what you mean about his tears and snotters act on the radio - hes just putting those "told you so's" in the bank in case something happens with Stendal in the coming months.

He is a strange guy, he seems to thrive on being contrary. As a kid in Leith, instead of Hibs or Hearts, he grew up following Rangers (for reasons nobody at school with him understands). 

FF to later life and he has somehow morphed into a Hearts fan (always talking about how he is a foundation donator etc).  Just feels like he is trying "too hard" at being a fan and struggles with objectivity - I wouldn't be surprised if he was on kickback, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...