Sportsound Watch

44 minutes ago, Willow Rosenberg said:

I'd imagine that, if anything, the accusation of intentionally stoking up hatred is what would have the BBC worried and I couldn't really blame them.

McIntyre was touching cloth long before that point. First mention of Traynor by name and he was off.

So last week the bbc were telling us that Morelos was running around Fir Park sticking the middle finger up at Motherwell fans and that action needed to be taken against him by the SFA. 

This week it's open season on Sevco and Jim Traynor, who are responsible for everything wrong with Scottish fitba. 

And this is publicly funded body which is supposed to be unbiased. 

So last week the bbc were telling us that Morelos was running around Fir Park sticking the middle finger up at Motherwell fans and that action needed to be taken against him by the SFA. 
This week it's open season on Sevco and Jim Traynor, who are responsible for everything wrong with Scottish fitba. 

Go to bed.

3 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:
9 minutes ago, bennett said:

Go to bed.

With your username,  that's rather suggestive..l.

19 minutes ago, bennett said:

Nobody likes us, we don’t care.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Nobody likes us, we don’t care.

Don't like us, fair enough. 

Attack us, not fair enough.

1 minute ago, Worktheshaft said:
14 minutes ago, bennett said:

With your username,  that's rather suggestive..l.

I'm a keen golfer.

Might take up golf then, always thought it was boring but...

Stewart did, not for the first time, allow himself to become too indignant and confrontational when he could have simply stayed calm and stood his ground.
However, it was during an elevated heart rate episode that he called Traynor "dangerous", so I'm glad he got a bit carried away.
 His central, simple message, that kept being misinterpreted as defence of racism was (paraphrasing):

There is a narrative that Morelos is refereed to a harsher standard than other players, and this appears to have become received wisdom; but there is no evidence to support the hypothesis. 

Quite reasonable; and logically, only refutable by the furnishing of evidence. But once more, none was forthcoming.
He did make a pretty good point when asked about McCoist's assertion, "If Morelos does [what Griffith did], he's off!" He compared it to the rescinded red that Morelos had last season, saying that Morelos's act was more violent (he actually said "more force"), so there was at least a case to be made that people were looking for harsher treatment for Griffith.
Of course, his "debunking of the narrative" was immediately turned into something else. But he had said enough to demonstrate that there at least may be such a narrative.
Also, he called out Traynor in a pretty hilarious way.
A pretty fair assessment.

I like Michael Stewart, but I should like him more than I do.

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The podcast is normally available by now, and it isn't.  The BBC are either heavily editing it or just going to bin the whole show. 

So I see.

A clip of it has been posted on the Nancy Drew thread. 

To be honest, I don't think it's Stewart's best work.  He definitely has a point about Traynor's irresponsible, self serving media manipulation.  He correctly identifies the timing of the latest flimsy claims as entirely deliberate and tactical.  He gets a bit lost however, in the face of McIntyre's embarrassing spluttering.  

First he goes back to Traynor's journalist days when he got Craig Whyte to ok his stories, but doesn't provide context at all.  He then kind of backs down unconvincingly on the very clear suggestion he'd just made about Traynor being the source of the recent brake tampering claims.  

I don't know whether the clip contains the entire discussion or not, but based on what's there, his performance is a bit disappointing in my view.

So I see.
To be honest, I don't think it's Stewart's best work.  He definitely has a point about Traynor's irresponsible, self serving media manipulation.  He correctly identifies the timing of the latest flimsy claims as entirely deliberate and tactical.  He gets a bit lost however, in the face of McIntyre's embarrassing spluttering.  
First he goes back to Traynor's journalist days when he got Craig Whyte to ok his stories, but doesn't provide context at all.  He then kind of backs down unconvincingly on the very clear suggestion he'd just made about Traynor being the source of the recent brake tampering claims.  
I don't know whether the clip contains the entire discussion or not, but based on what's there, his performance is a bit disappointing in my view.

Agreed, fundamental point is right but he tied himself in knots a bit when challenged and a bit flustered.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So I see.

I’ve listened to clip on P&B, and I think that Kenny McIntyre handled it well. Didn’t see it as “embarrassing sputtering” in the slightest. He is employed by the BBC and was simply trying to protect them from Michael Stewart’s comments. Nothing wrong with that, and he did a good job. 

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve listened to clip on P&B, and I think that Kenny McIntyre handled it well. Didn’t see it as “embarrassing sputtering” in the slightest. He is employed by the BBC and was simply trying to protect them from Michael Stewart’s comments. Nothing wrong with that, and he did a good job. 

I dunno there’s a way to professionally say that Stewart’s views didn’t represent the BBC’s but Mcintyre’s panicked “That’s your view!” etc made it come across very accusatory, defensive and almost personal in its tone. It almost sounded like McIntyre got defensive as if he was one of the people being accused of dishing out Traynor’s PR stories. I’m sure that isn’t the case and that McIntyre just freaked out a bit as he wasn’t expecting it and maybe a producer in his ear was freaking out as well.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So I see.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed, fundamental point is right but he tied himself in knots a bit when challenged and a bit flustered.

I hear what you're both saying. I can't help feel that perhaps the magnitude of what he was saying/who he was digging out maybe got to him a bit. His point comes from a very intelligent place, but he does have a couple of nervous ticks that can cause him to sound less confident than he maybe is. 

Either way, it's high time that someone with a platform called out Traynor and his utter nonsense for what it is. I have mates who are Rangers fans; brilliant guys and decent people, who cannot abide the shite that gets trotted out. They believe in the gallant pioneers stuff and Struth etc, who would be turning in their grave at what passes nowadays as "Rangers Class". Their words, not mine. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

I dunno there’s a way to professionally say that Stewart’s views didn’t represent the BBC’s but Mcintyre’s panicked “That’s your view!” etc made it come across very accusatory, defensive and almost personal in its tone. It almost sounded like McIntyre got defensive as if he was one of the people being accused of dishing out Traynor’s PR stories. I’m sure that isn’t the case and that McIntyre just freaked out a bit as he wasn’t expecting it and maybe a producer in his ear was freaking out as well.

He didn’t panic.